Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 08:26:21 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesI interviewed Chris Sawyer (RollerCoaster Tycoon) and Nelson Sexton (Unturned)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: I interviewed Chris Sawyer (RollerCoaster Tycoon) and Nelson Sexton (Unturned)  (Read 2378 times)
Deckhead
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: March 04, 2020, 01:42:17 AM »

https://indiegamedev.net/2020/03/04/can-a-solo-developer-make-a-successful-game/

Thought I'd share this link with an interview with Chris Sawyer and Nelson Sexton. I was hoping that more developers I contacted would respond but I'm super excited that these guys responded. I learned something reading their answers, I hope you do too.

Teniom
Level 0

Constantly Sleepy!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2020, 02:47:55 AM »

That's really cool, nice work getting the interview done.

One thing that really stood out to me was your question about free/open-source software, and what Chris said about back then this wasn't really a thing.

It really made me think and ultimately gave me a much stronger appreciation for the countless hours that people have put into making the free/opensource material in the first place. I've got to admit that until this hit me (right now) I definitely took a lot of things for granted

Don't get me wrong, I'd always credit whoever needs credit for any open/free software or assets that I use, but I just never really thought 'damn there was a time when this was not as easily accessible as now.
Deckhead
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2020, 11:11:09 AM »

That's really cool, nice work getting the interview done.

One thing that really stood out to me was your question about free/open-source software, and what Chris said about back then this wasn't really a thing.

It really made me think and ultimately gave me a much stronger appreciation for the countless hours that people have put into making the free/opensource material in the first place. I've got to admit that until this hit me (right now) I definitely took a lot of things for granted

Don't get me wrong, I'd always credit whoever needs credit for any open/free software or assets that I use, but I just never really thought 'damn there was a time when this was not as easily accessible as now.

There's very few games released today that could've been done without open source effort. Even things like Braid that have their own engines made would still have utilised so much open source software during developmemt. Imagine needing to like... Compress an audio file and needing to write your own compression code.

Teniom
Level 0

Constantly Sleepy!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2020, 01:14:16 AM »

There's very few games released today that could've been done without open source effort. Even things like Braid that have their own engines made would still have utilised so much open source software during developmemt. Imagine needing to like... Compress an audio file and needing to write your own compression code.

That much I know - most people in my circle of friends are game devs/connected to game devs and I hear about it quite a lot. I just never appreciated it that much because I never thought that it used to be different - essentially took it all for granted.

That's why I really liked that interview, just that small line helped me think quite a lot.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic