Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411431 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58417 Members - Latest Member: gigig987

April 20, 2024, 04:10:57 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralHow do you feel about Linux?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: How do you feel about Linux?  (Read 3685 times)
skaldicpoet9
Level 10

"The length of my life was fated long ago "

View Profile
« on: November 08, 2007, 05:11:23 PM »

Well, I just got a new computer and I decided to dual boot it with Linux(ubuntu 7.10). I have always loved the concept of open source software and have heard a lot of good things about Linux. Anyways, I was just wondering what everyone's experiences/ feelings about Linux are. So far I have really liked the streamlined feel and just the ease of using Linux (or maybe it is just Ubuntu). The only thing that I haven't been too keen on is the lack of adequate gaming support on Linux but in terms of a quality OS I haven't seen anything that I haven't liked.

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2007, 05:16:32 PM »

I feel great about it.

BenH
Level 2

Dirty boy, wash your hands!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2007, 06:21:01 PM »

Linux, problem solved.

Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2007, 08:11:41 PM »

The solution to getting more game support is to nag the fuck out of developers until they hate you.

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
Oracle
Pixelhead
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2007, 08:18:16 PM »

I have no reason to use it...and it doesnt really fit my needs.
Yay for those that use it tho...but from my end, i think "plug and play" pretty much sums up what im looking for.

JP
Level 0

vordhosbn brezhoneg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2007, 08:30:14 PM »

I use Ubuntu 7.10 for everything except games that don't run natively, in Wine or in a VM.
skaldicpoet9
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2007, 10:19:20 PM »

I use Ubuntu 7.10 for everything except games that don't run natively, in Wine or in a VM.

Right on, I am just beginning to learn how to install and run programs so I am a bit behind the curve as of right now. I really want to install DoomRl on this OS though...

Eventually it shouldn't be a problem though, I just have to get acquainted with Linux first...

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
the_dannobot
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2007, 08:03:27 AM »

Linux is too hard to use.

Dannobot on Twitter
Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

alright, let's see what we can see

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2007, 10:01:34 AM »

I like it alot. I used it for years. But then I got a Mac and now i sit at home, suck Steve Jobs' cock and use OSX.

http://polycode.org/ - Free, cross-platform, open-source engine.
shinygerbil
Blew Blow (Loved It)
Level 10

GET off your horse

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2007, 10:33:46 AM »

I mostly use it. It's fairly awesome except for games. (Certain companies notwithstanding)

olücæbelel
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2007, 10:47:20 PM »

I've never tried it, but it looks interesting and I hope it eventually dominates PCs. However, I dislike many of the people who use it, because they have a habit of insulting people who use Windows. I know that's just a vocal minority, but calling people sheep for using Windows and so on is *not* a way to convince someone to switch.

axel
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2007, 02:19:24 AM »

I dislike many of the people who use it, because they have a habit of insulting people who use Windows. I know that's just a vocal minority, but calling people sheep for using Windows and so on is *not* a way to convince someone to switch.

True, but that pretty much applies to all groups of OS users. I've seen enough Mac and Windows fanboyism on the net as well. I mean, of course it's okay to have opinions about other operating systems, but why try and convert everyone else around you anyway?

Myself, I'm a Windows user. I've used Ubuntu a couple of times before, mostly on my cousin's computer, and I must admit I quite liked it. Although having to run most mainstreamey games through an emu or VM isn't really that great.

Chainsaw surgery.
Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2007, 05:06:30 AM »

I've seen enough Mac and Windows fanboyism on the net as well.

Really? I don't think I've ever seen Windows fanboyism...

idiotmeat
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2007, 10:55:42 AM »

I use linux fairly often, mostly for development but also for tinkering around with games whose source has been released (i.e Homeworld, Abuse, Freespace, etc).  I guess I'm fairly used to using it by now, especially since my work at my job is done via a unix shell.

I'd like it a lot more if I could tinker around with the source to fix problems associated with my setup, but unfortunately I fear being "tainted".
Dan MacDonald
The DMac
Level 1

Prisoner of the cause

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2007, 10:58:56 PM »

Ubuntu 7.10 is the first version of linux I've been able to install without frying my harddrive. I like it a lot. The only thing it's missing is a community of developers that make cool games for it Smiley
skaldicpoet9
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2007, 11:06:36 PM »

Yeah, I am hoping that more developers start turning an eye toward Linux. I am fairly certain that I will be using Linux indefinitely from this point on so I am hopeful that there will be more games released in the coming years. It does seem that there is a more pronounced support of games for Linux then there had been previously, hopefully this will continue and if not I'll just keep dual-booting Linux and Windows  together.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic