Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 06:50:48 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogs Shadows of Entropy. A 2d Atmospheric Metroidvania. One Hit Deaths
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Shadows of Entropy. A 2d Atmospheric Metroidvania. One Hit Deaths  (Read 7331 times)
emscape
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: March 06, 2020, 03:26:00 PM »

Update 08-01-2024: I'm setting up a company because I now have the opportunity to make my dreams come true. If anyone wants to join my Patreon to recieve tutorials and assets feel free to join! Even the free tier comes with goodies.
https://www.patreon.com/EmscapeProductionsStudioInsiders/posts

Presents:

Struggle, demise, death. As of late the world of Godset is in peril. A plague has fallen upon the realm, and no one seems to be spared. It’s up to you, a mere acolyte, to channel the miracle that would cleanse the plague and save your country.

Shadows of entropy is a 2D action platformer with puzzle and metroidvania elements. While using quickly flowing combat, one hit deaths, your player character can quickly respawn at frequent checkpoints. Also, your dead body will remain on the ground when respawning. This ability is not only reserved for the player, some enemies are able to respawn like this as well.

The world will be heavily inspired by the Anglican Gothic architecture and middle English style folklore with supernatural elements.

The combat flows with positioning as it’s most important aspect. Every character in the game has two offensive abilities, each with its own area of effect. The objective of the player is to move around the attack types the enemy throws at them, while trying to maneuver to get in suitable range for their own attacks.

In terms of movement, the character has a jump, wall jump, wall glide, dash and ledge grab ability. This ensures a versatile movement system.

About me:

I’m a 26 year old developer and this mostly is a project I work on as a side project to my daytime job. So while I do buy some supplemental art assets, most of the art, music, sound effects, level design and of coarse the coding is done by me personally. Sporadically friends help me out with some extra work. I’m planning to get a little more help before releasing.

We now have a composer making a part of the soundtrack. I'm very happy to see where this is going.

Check the prototype here, and let me know what you think:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1j0WjB9Q5dTvQQDnL7QZeznQosUFqrq3Q/view?usp=sharing

Do know that especially some of the audio assets are placeholders. The kickstarter link in the end is not yet implemented, but I want to start a kickstarter after having some people test the demo.

Let me know what features you'd most appreciate, please comment, examples are:
- Parallax in all levels
- Vehicle sequences when moving between parts of the world trough shortcuts.
- Dialogues (and therefore NPCs)
- Cutscenes
- more than 1 huge boss
- Voice acting
- swappable abilities instead of 2 predetermined ones
- swappable items giving certain boosts

Link to preview of the Soundtrack:
Soundtrack Preview Playlist:
https://soundcloud.com/emielsilverentand/sets/shadows-of-entropy

Some Preview Screenshots:

Preview of a tileset:

Concept Art:

« Last Edit: January 08, 2024, 09:22:39 AM by emscape » Logged

Suttebun
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2020, 05:28:36 PM »

I really like the big open space with the windows, this place is spooky and interesting.

Side note: your screenshots are a little bit large, and the title is a bit hard to read.
emscape
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2020, 05:36:11 AM »

Thanks! Thought that it was the small screen I was using to post, fixed the screenshots and added a background to the logo

emscape
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2020, 06:18:37 PM »

New Tileset on the way :D

emscape
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2020, 01:08:57 PM »

Check the early prototype here :D

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EbJJcp4LhEbcGLmoCnbI-C82fBinjKMh/view?usp=sharing

emscape
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2020, 07:13:59 AM »

Today I've don some finalizing work on my tileset and made a new animation. I will do some polishing work and make some enemies during the coming week.

edit: 1 extra

« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 05:28:21 PM by emscape » Logged

Suttebun
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2020, 01:56:46 PM »

ah your character sprites are quite alive, keep it up
emscape
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2020, 10:44:28 AM »

Thank you! I will keep up the work, with corona everywhere it proves difficult keeping energy.

Here's what I've been working on lately

emscape
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2020, 03:16:09 PM »

Hi All,

I've been quite busy with my normal job due to Corona, and my normal dev pc unfortunately broke down. Anyways, here's what I've been working on lately:

Also, let me know what you think about the prototype

Suttebun
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2020, 11:45:19 AM »

(maybe itch.io would be a good place to host a development page?)

Could you please export a mac executable?
emscape
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2020, 02:11:56 AM »

I've had a look at it and unfortunately I need a Mac to compile to Mac, which i don't have at the moment. I definetely will post a mac executable as soon as can use a Mac.

Also, to show you what I've been working on recently

emscape
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2020, 08:38:01 AM »

Made configurable controls:

« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 09:40:21 AM by emscape » Logged

Suttebun
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2020, 11:05:55 AM »

I suggest changing the gui visuals. It's very jarring and cheapens what your art style currently builds..
There's a lot of good reference in the pico8 community of what you can do with a lower resolution.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 02:35:38 PM by Suttebun » Logged
emscape
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2020, 06:24:31 PM »

Took the feedback to heart. Even though most of it is still placeholders, I think it is of utmost importance to still be presentable. Also, removed the time counter from the GUI so the Gui is clean during gameplay.

Suttebun
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2020, 09:37:57 PM »

That's better. The mixed pixel sizes may be what's causing the most jarring'ness now.
emscape
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2020, 01:43:02 AM »

Yes indeed, for now it will suffice. Luckily the rest of the project starts to take shape. Also:
Some more new stuff: I made animated clouds and new kinds of fire :D

« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 01:58:56 AM by emscape » Logged

emscape
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2020, 03:02:50 PM »

New Alpha uploaded at:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1j0WjB9Q5dTvQQDnL7QZeznQosUFqrq3Q/view?usp=sharing

emscape
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2020, 06:57:04 PM »

I'm making a new level:

emscape
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2020, 08:33:00 AM »

Last couple of months I've focussed on getting a working soundtrack and making more assets.

fingerman
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2020, 10:39:40 AM »

Hi emscape, keep up the nice work.
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic