Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411468 Posts in 69368 Topics- by 58422 Members - Latest Member: daffodil_dev

April 22, 2024, 10:49:02 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsAdult/Educational CompoI HAVE CANDY GET IN THE VAN [NSFW] [V1.000]
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12
Print
Author Topic: I HAVE CANDY GET IN THE VAN [NSFW] [V1.000]  (Read 131801 times)
Kekskiller
« Reply #180 on: August 14, 2009, 01:28:31 AM »

Gosh, these messages are so ambiguous. It seems that I don't have so much problems with it in a code form, but I'm sure I would have a lot of problems with playing it/seeing it animated. Maybe that's also the reason why I can't play Edmund or Super Cock Blockers. I'm just too sensitive there.

And that's good, I guess. No, that IS good. It's human.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 01:38:39 AM by Kekskiller » Logged
Aquin
Level 10

Aquin is over here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #181 on: August 14, 2009, 01:34:42 AM »

Fortunately, a lot of people found the 'bad stuff' in this game to be pretty off-putting.  I consider it a job well done.

I'm just glad that a few players decided they would like to help the kids out and were physically ill at the thought of doing otherwise.  It means they weren't just pedestrian objects to be mowed down in the street to complete some arbitrary objective. It also means these players had a will of their own and were willing to ignore the game's 'other options.'

I guess that's what I want.  I want people to have the moral sense of, "you know, I know it's IN the game, but I don't want to play it that way.  It's not worth it."

Sometimes it's not worth the 100%.  Wink

I'd write a devlog about my current game, but I'm too busy making it.
Kekskiller
« Reply #182 on: August 14, 2009, 01:58:26 AM »

Holy shit, the last code lines are so goddamn cruel! I mean is this really possible in this game? Did ever thought people who actually ENJOY that kind of entertainment? Torturing and abusing virtual childs in a happy-colored game environment? I dunno.

Aquin, I'm seriously scared of your mind. Not that I think you would do such a thing but it really scares me, because you tried to get that "no 100% because it's not worth it" by giving people shocking options. Also, these options are extremely explicit... Like the guy in the van trying to teach and punish childs from the street. Teach people moral stuff with game content and hurt them with shock methods.

Erm, well. This getting hard to type for me. Don't think that I want to make a comparison between HOW to do the things, but more what the basic idea is. Hm.

I just don't know what to say. There's big avoid inside me now. Disenchant by how people try to make other people not doing things. Maybe I just misunderstood everything? I feel like vomit in my head.

Screamy
Aquin
Level 10

Aquin is over here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #183 on: August 14, 2009, 02:25:39 AM »

That was kinda it.  It's like, "Wow I can't believe that option exists.   I wonder how bad this game can get?"

"Oh my God...I don't want to click on that.   Wait, WHAT ARE YOU ASKING ME TO DO!?"

I feel like, in a lot of games that allow or encourage you to be evil (Fable, Overlord, blah blah), they make it too easy to be evil.  I mean *morally* easy.  You don't care about being evil, because you hate all the NPCs or it's presented in a funny or comical manner.  There is always some advantage or gain to be had by making 'evil' decisions.  I wanted to take that assumption you have about all moral-choice games and EXPLOIT it.  Make you really think if you want to click that next button.

Kekskiller
« Reply #184 on: August 14, 2009, 04:12:41 AM »

Ok, now I can understand you. That's a good point, but I'm still shocked. I loved Fable, especially BECAUSE you could do evil things like a cartoon villain and nothing too bad happens. It's a world where you can define a lot by yourself - that's the freedom behind and that's the way you like to be evil. You can choose your evilness, deciding what is OK for you and what not. Your game is different - it gives explicit options the player can't define, he's is forced to do it or not and there's is no way he can do it freely or in a custom order.

I only read the source code, but I think Fable is different from that. Overlord is, of course, a game where you have to be evil, no way around. Beeing evil in Fable wasn't simple for me - you could kill your sister, a lot of villagers and whatever not, but what happens then? Everbody hates you, nobody wants to talk with you and you stink like hell. I played both ways and the evil ways is definitely ugly and there aren't much advantages you couldn't archieve on the good way, too. That's the balance of Fable. I know, I know - you WANTED a game where makin evil things isn't easy. You probably succeeded there.

But saying it's easy to be evil in other games isn't really true - only a player WITHOUT moral would always choose the way with more advantages. Logic factors can influence moral if you know what you're doing in order to get a specific good. Of course, it's natural to be evil from time to time, but it's still not easy if there IS a moral. That's good in neutral games - they do not change your moral, they support whatever your doing. Your source code doesn't reveal if your game is really neutral, but all the actually bad details will probably make you want to play the "good" way.

So, I think you failed in making an opposite to Fable and similar games, because Fable is neutral (like S.T.A.L.K.E.R., which is another story). But you probably succeeded in making a game that make the player uncomfortable playing the bad way if they already have a moral. That won't stop moralless people from playing your game - they have more "interesting" things to do than the moral people. I never played this game, so maybe I'm wrong. But I think it's really not an opponent idea to Fable or other "do whatever you want" games.

Maybe it's a really an evil game, because it seems bad people can do a lot more there. I never played, I can't say. Think about. About your creature.
Aquin
Level 10

Aquin is over here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #185 on: August 14, 2009, 09:51:07 AM »

Heh, definitely.  I wasn't setting out to make an opposite to Fable, I just wanted to make a game where you CAN'T be a "nice evil", but maybe as a player of Fable you would expect that to be the case.  I wanted to play on the assumption that "the evil in this game can't be so bad" and completely ruin it.

But you know, as evil as my creature is, it takes two people to make those bad endings happen.  I just wrote them.  It takes YOU to be willing to play through them.  So if you do go out of your way to be an evil sick freak, you're just as much to blame as me.  Wink

I remember a long time ago in this thread, Melly was curious as to how this game of mine made me physically ill to write and how it was keeping me up at night.  Now I think the answer is clear. Fortunately I've since gotten over it.  It's just a stupid game in the end.  Roll Eyes

Kekskiller
« Reply #186 on: August 14, 2009, 10:23:26 AM »

I'm getting tired of this discussion. Let's pre-vote.
Rumrusher
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: August 14, 2009, 02:46:45 PM »

IHCGITV from all the picking up and dropping off could be a pimping game(if one could add the bus collecting to every one in town or swap the sprites for the kids for adults then yeah it could happen).
from reading a few I got a day of the dead vibe from from one of the comments(read the script)"choke on em'" I think don't know what would a female would say that.

one this that gave me a chuckle was hitting mike on a fence which lead him to slide down the barb. other than that this game is far more mess up than edmund since most of the stuff you do is told to you by text in this game than a small two animations of sex.

if you want a adult game that has sex in it but won't leave you mess up play SCB in that no one is raping anyone*
Kekskiller
« Reply #188 on: August 14, 2009, 03:08:16 PM »

if you want a adult game that has sex in it but won't leave you mess up play SCB in that no one is raping anyone*

Eh? I'm not sure that the women likes to get penetrated all the time. It could be a happy-themed gangbang simulator!
Rumrusher
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: August 14, 2009, 04:36:54 PM »

Eh? I'm not sure that the women likes to get penetrated all the time. It could be a happy-themed gangbang simulator!
orgy the female never fucks more than one guy and the animation from start to finish has nothing forced, now yeah both teams fight over the leader but it seems to be more playful fun than barbaric rape.
but chances of seeing any action in game is a miracle, no one plays it and the only act you be doing is charging and pulling off cum blasts.
fishmatt
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: August 14, 2009, 07:53:29 PM »

I think I found a bug. Once the lessons start, I don't see any questions. Here's a acreenshot.

I'm getting this issue too. Any chance you can adjust it to draw the chalk in a color in the meantime, for us losers with computer issues?
Aquin
Level 10

Aquin is over here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #191 on: August 14, 2009, 08:10:23 PM »

I posted an alternate .exe in the first post.  It changes the default font color so you can read it on a white background.

I'm a little miffed that the texture isn't loading right for you.  I wish I knew the cause of that bizarre error!  As for those of you that experience crashes on load... It's completely beyond my ability to fix.  I can only promise not to use Allegro for my next game.  Wink

fishmatt
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: August 14, 2009, 08:21:55 PM »

I posted an alternate .exe in the first post.  It changes the default font color so you can read it on a white background.

I'm a little miffed that the texture isn't loading right for you.  I wish I knew the cause of that bizarre error!  As for those of you that experience crashes on load... It's completely beyond my ability to fix.  I can only promise not to use Allegro for my next game.  Wink

Thanks a ton, buddy! *fist bump*

EDIT: Wow, this is horrifying! I've played the "good" campaign through, and I did a violent spree, so now i'm swallowing my morality and giving the terrible path a try.

EDIT AGAIN: 82% and I'm getting to the point where I feel like taking pains to avoid police just so I can be more of a monster is something i might not want to follow through on.

Definitely like how many ways the overall karma level can adjust the ingame instructions and such, like in the stage/week intro screen.

Yeah, I'm done. I went and read the source and i don't think i can finish the rest of the endings if that's my reward.

Congratulations on pushing the envelope! It's much more palatable from one standpoint because the juxtaposed happy visuals and audio keep us from having the same visceral aversion that Edmund's audio triggered
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 10:27:20 PM by fishmatt » Logged
reallyjoel
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #193 on: August 15, 2009, 06:43:07 AM »

Awesome game. Too bad on the fidgety controls, but otherwise, this is a future classic.
demolam
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: August 17, 2009, 11:36:28 AM »

Why does it seem to be that it's always the games you want to play the most that never works on your computer. Now I can't vote for this game just because it won't start. I'll see if I can find some other computer that I can play this on, but it appears that you will get quite many votes anyway.

"Jag hätär inte Klas-Kent"
Kekskiller
« Reply #195 on: August 17, 2009, 01:07:42 PM »

So I tried it on my laptop and it worked ...

... but I regret playing Facepalm
Aquin
Level 10

Aquin is over here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #196 on: August 17, 2009, 01:30:16 PM »

@demolam:  Sorry, I didn't realize how bad Allegro would be for compatibility.  I'm gonna use SDL in the future (I actually successfully learned it all last night!)

Honestly, I don't expect to get a lot of votes, just because of these horrible glitches.  I don't care anyway, as long as Back Door Man wins!  Beg

Dataflashsabot
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: August 17, 2009, 01:43:33 PM »

Won't start for me either Sad
I get a 'candyvan.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close' message. I swapped around different Allegro DLls as much as I could think of, but no luck. I have a Code::Blocks and Allegro environment set up, so I could probably compile from source, but I'm terrible at getting things to compile and eh the hell if I can be bothered messing around that much.

I really wanna play this (though I'll probably regret it if I do >.<), any ideas at all?
Aquin
Level 10

Aquin is over here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #198 on: August 17, 2009, 02:30:31 PM »

Wait for me to make an SDL version. Sad

There have been enough complaints that I'll get started on it right away!  It should be done sometime tonight.

Aquin
Level 10

Aquin is over here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #199 on: August 17, 2009, 06:40:31 PM »

An SDL version is now available.  Please let me know if it works out for you!

You can find the link on the first post or by following this url:

http://www.dreamofwinds.com/aquin/?page_id=5
(it's near the bottom)

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic