Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 05:19:23 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsAdult/Educational CompoI HAVE CANDY GET IN THE VAN [NSFW] [V1.000]
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12
Print
Author Topic: I HAVE CANDY GET IN THE VAN [NSFW] [V1.000]  (Read 131343 times)
Kadoba
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: August 18, 2009, 02:01:30 PM »

I keep getting a database error from your site.
Aquin
Level 10

Aquin is over here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #201 on: August 18, 2009, 02:12:30 PM »

I keep getting hacked by an iframe injection.  I wish I could stop it.  Am I infected with a virus?  I think I cleaned it up.

Does the problem persist?  Yes....

Hang on, I'll get it back up before I post this message.

I'd write a devlog about my current game, but I'm too busy making it.
Kadoba
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: August 18, 2009, 02:59:30 PM »

Sometimes after clicking a confirmation screen at stage 2 it will continue past the screen like it's suppose to but it will also select an answer if your mouse happens to be over it when the next screen comes.

This is a lot better. I didn't say anything before but there were little screen tears sometimes where graphics were drawn on top of the map. Scrolling is a lot smoother too. How are you liking SDL's interface compared to allegro?
Aquin
Level 10

Aquin is over here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #203 on: August 18, 2009, 03:01:25 PM »

SDL is lighter, faster, more accurate with timers, better at input handling, more well-supported, and cross-platform even for handling a window.

I've never been happier.  Tongue

EDIT: Candyvansdl.zip has just been updated.  I also updated the allegro version... it should work on more computers now.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 03:19:45 PM by Aquin » Logged

increpare
« Reply #204 on: August 18, 2009, 03:27:46 PM »

in the sdl version i think i encountered some bugs in the class part, where it seemed it was skipping past the phase where i get to ask questions.  I didn't know quite what was happening.
Aquin
Level 10

Aquin is over here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #205 on: August 18, 2009, 04:09:37 PM »

Is that still happening with the latest update?  I just posted it about an hour ago.

joseppe
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: August 19, 2009, 12:28:14 AM »

Same thing happening here after torturing the first time around. Thanks for the SDL version, though I doubt I'll sleep well tonight. It was quite jarring.

Also, occasionally, one of the kids would become unpickupable, and I had to restart the program (new game didn't fix it). I think those instances had to do with the police.
Aquin
Level 10

Aquin is over here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #207 on: August 19, 2009, 12:48:18 AM »

I'll go through Stage 2 again to track this stuff down.  I hope I can figure it out!

As for the unpickable kid... did this happen after you killed them but then they suddenly reappeared on the street at a later week? Because that happened to me once.  I thought I fixed it. Sad

joseppe
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: August 19, 2009, 12:56:40 AM »

Actually, that bug has happened to me on different stages (once even on the first one after a new game).
erdtirdmans
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #209 on: August 19, 2009, 06:46:59 AM »

By stage 2, I had already become enough of an asshole to spank a kid.  After that, the Q&A sessions would be half-a-second long "The kids are too afraid..." bits where I could see questions flash up for a split second before it told me it was late in the day and the kids had to go home.  I think it's related to the timer?

Despite the frequent bugs I encountered, I'll be coming back to check out newer versions.  This game's edgy and unique: two things that sit very well with me to say the least.

---[ EDIT ]---
OH GOD I managed to get to some of the more extreme options. Uh... awesome... I think?  I can see why you had trouble developing this...

Some observations.  Understand that I'm posting these from the perspective of a fanatic game player and critic, not a game developer.  As such, it's up to you to decide which of these are simple fixes\worth your time - I don't know much about what goes on behind the scenes mechanically.

Bugs:
- The story portion in the beginning (white text, black background) stays on screen for all of 1 second (literally) before skipping ahead.  I reloaded the game a couple times to read some of it, but decided it wasn't important enough.  I'll open the code after this post to see it for the hell of it.
- On my second attempt, in the first stage, four kids either did not spawn or stayed in places where they are not visible.  I'm pretty sure it was the latter since on subsequent attempts, I watched a couple kids walk into odd places.
- Spank+ gets cut off.
- The cursor on title screen doesn't respond to mouse movement.  Hence, if the player clicks on endings with the mouse while something else is highlighted, it does that something else instead.  This applies in other menus as well, such as the "Leaving?" or sex shop "You're not serious" pop-up.  As it turns out, I didn't bring the kids anywhere on my first playthrough as a result - i thought i said yes every time by clicking.  Apparently, not.  Strangely, this does not apply to the same style of menus during the teaching sessions.

Other stuff:
- Z moves forward, X does reverse... on a QWERTY keyboard, these are in counter-intuitive positions
- Really, if the camera just locked with the car in the center and UDLR did what you'd expect them to do, the controls would be far simpler.  There's no good reason to have them otherwise.
- Don't time me on the question portion or, alternatively, give me a lot more time.  I'm trying to read the questions and all of the answers.  Furthermore, the role reversal needs to be more clearly stated.  "Jimmy answers..." or what have you could suffice perhaps.
- +100 in purple is pretty meaningless when there's no style meter.  I would go with 1-word type descriptions ("Positive" "Negative" "Perverted") or add a style meter (Pretty triangle!)
- Make an actual save game interface.  The weird auto-naming stuff doesn't help a first-time player

Final note:
Do not take this post as a negative opinion of your game.  Quite the opposite in fact, as I would not spend this much time on something unless I liked it.  I enjoyed the music, the art (especially the title screen), the concept, the dark humor, the font, the edginess, the... well, everything!  I'm making this post in support of the game and future iterations of it.  Smiley
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 10:48:47 AM by erdtirdmans » Logged
Aquin
Level 10

Aquin is over here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #210 on: August 19, 2009, 11:00:03 AM »

Most useful post ever.  Grin

Yeah, I prefer bug-checking and criticism to "your game is so awesome yay", because it actually tells me two things:

1) You care enough to actually complain about the little things.
2) How I can now fix them.

1-  The disclaimer at the start skips forward if you press a button.  I'll make it shorter anyway.
2- I've had some complaints about the kid spawns.  I've never run into the problem, but I'll keep trying to track it down.
3- The mouse cursor is only implemented in Stage 2, but mouse clicking still works.  I guess I'll implement the mouse cursor for the other menus ( I can see why you're confused.)

4- I didn't realize you would need more time!  I'll give you another half hour, game time.
But I also don't want to make the game too easy either.

5- The van controls will stay the way they are.  I know it's a bizarre control scheme, but it was intentional before I even started coding it.  I've never seen a game use it and I think it turned out fairly well (once you know how to exploit it like the dickens.)

6- I guess I'll implement options so you can clear data and change the control scheme.

7- I'm not convinced a save game interface is necessary for such a silly little game. :S

=======
Unfortunately, I'm in the middle of doing something for malec2b's collab.  So there won't be any more updates to this game until Monday.  Hopefully I can address everything on your list within a few days!

erdtirdmans
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #211 on: August 19, 2009, 11:32:31 AM »

Hehe.  All great responses!

I don't really know about the time limit thing on the questions.  It could be a completely different issue altogether, I just think it's the time limit that is bugging out the QA sessions.  Does picking up the kids also cost time?  I took a little while to pick up the kids sometimes.  That might have been the problem.

The disclaimer is definitely skipping without button presses.  I just ran it again to make 100% sure.  No clicks or key presses, and the black and white skips immediately.

Data clear is a great idea... whoever suggested that gets a gold star.

For the saved game and control stuff: Works for me.  They were just nitpicks anyway.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 11:36:52 AM by erdtirdmans » Logged
Aquin
Level 10

Aquin is over here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #212 on: August 19, 2009, 02:00:06 PM »

I think I see what you mean about the controls:  z,x reversed and left/right to go up and down and up/down to move forward/backward.  I'll put it in as a preset control scheme after Sunday.

Stage 1 doesn't take time away from Stage 2.  I read pretty fast, so when I was timing Stage 2 I might have been a bit too cruel to most players.  It's a problem when you're an expert at your own game.  It makes it hard to balance difficulty. Sad

Fifth
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: August 21, 2009, 07:37:41 AM »

Hrnn... I really want to play more of this.  It was just getting a little unsettling when the Q&A stages started skipping themselves without my doing a thing (it started happening by the 3rd cycle).  Have you fixed this yet?

I love the "innocent" atmosphere at the beginning.
Offriender
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: September 07, 2009, 07:45:50 PM »

in the sdl version i think i encountered some bugs in the class part, where it seemed it was skipping past the phase where i get to ask questions.  I didn't know quite what was happening.

I've tested both versions and this has happened to me. As far as I can tell, the problem is that the clock in the corner during stage 2 isn't resetting, ever. So if it's late when I let them out, it's even later next time around, even if I start a new game (without closing the window). The time seems to cap around 2:30. This bug means that if I want to be nice I end up being mean, because my character binds them in order of them to stay so long, and if I want to be mean, I can't be really mean.  My Word!
Aquin
Level 10

Aquin is over here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #215 on: September 07, 2009, 08:04:44 PM »

I'll look into that.  I have actually been working away at it, but I also have other games I'd like to make as well.  I should have the final version of this game (hopefully bug-free!) sometime tomorrow.

Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: September 08, 2009, 06:13:52 AM »

bug-free!

Wink

programming • free software
animal liberation • veganism
anarcho-communism • intersectionality • feminism
Aquin
Level 10

Aquin is over here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #217 on: September 08, 2009, 10:36:15 AM »

Okay, I'll settle for *less bugs*. Tongue

I'm gonna play through it a bunch today just to make sure it's working on my end.  I'll probably post sometime tonight.

Aquin
Level 10

Aquin is over here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #218 on: September 08, 2009, 12:32:44 PM »

For the love of God I hope I'm done finding bugs.  Please feel free to kick in my hopes and dreams with bug reports.  V1.000 is available from the first post.

Well, I'm gonna go make a different game for once.  Until then!

Noah
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: September 11, 2009, 03:59:05 PM »

Firstly, as far as some kind of media making me feel uncomfortable? IHGCGITV makes it pretty high on the list.
That being said, it's truly remarkable. The gameplay was challenging (given the right path), the setting appropriate, the concept unique and most importantly of all, it provoked emotional response.
I held a range of feelings while I played it, from warmth from treating the children kindly, through desperation to hide from the police, all the way to shock and disgust with the more severe outcomes of choosing the less moral path.
When I was confronted with some pretty extreme choices in the end, none of which I was particularly keen on taking, it made me reflect on the game thus far and think about how that sort of thing starts in real life. From mere interest to see what would happen, to arousal, empowerment, obsession and a complete change in personality, a playthrough of IHCGITV could just as well be the story of an actual rapist/serial killer. Perhaps they aren't so keen on taking those choices either, but have something to compel them that the players, as witnesses rather than criminals, are missing?

Anyway, this comment isn't supposed to be a review, nor a philosophy paper, it's more of a statement of "I loved your game and this is why". So before I rant on any more, I just want to say a sincere thanks for making something so entertaining, heartwarming, provocative, mournful, scary and downright sickening all at the same time. IHCGITV is expressively beautiful in it's own way, so cheers for sharing it with us (and for reading that wall of text I just wrote).

Issues:
The game plays out fine, but there are some context errors. Two I've noticed with the latest version is that after becoming a beloved mentor, it tells me "You've done enough damage to last in their lives forever", and occasionally it'll recommend that I check the same place twice at the beginning of a stage. Otherwise you've done a brilliant job at ironing out the bugs from the compo version.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic