Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 02:16:51 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsAdult/Educational CompoKeyboard Hero
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Keyboard Hero  (Read 3638 times)
Cymon
Level 9

Computer Kid

View Profile WWW
« on: June 29, 2009, 01:14:26 PM »

No guarantees. I'm knee deep in another project right now, but provided I can leverage this time I have and finish it it's possible I can start on this game.

The idea is basically to turn the whole keyboard into a 4 octave synthesizer with "s" being middle C, "w" being an octave above that, "x" being an octave below. Holding down shift changes it up half a step for sharps (or flats). Obviously there's some overlap, "l" is the same as "w", "q" = "k", etc, but for the most part this should work.

The game would then time shooting letters across the screen guitar hero style. Hit them at the right time and you'll be playing a song.

But like I said, no promises.

Allegro, C++.

Cymon's Games, free source code, tutorials, and a new game every week!
Follow me on twitter
Noyb
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2009, 04:32:06 PM »

It would be kinda amazing if this were a cross between Mario Teaches Typing and Guitar Hero. That is, a typing game with English sentences, where each keystroke corresponds to a note.

Cymon
Level 9

Computer Kid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2009, 10:21:13 AM »

It'd be interesting to find an English sentance that does make a good song. I've got make the prototype first, but I've got to finish ASCIIpOrtal first.

Follow me on twitter
nihilocrat
Level 10

Full of stars.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2009, 05:06:23 AM »

See...

I should have beaten you to the chase when I had this idea about 2 years ago. I even made the synthesizer part, I use pygame for the input and output the notes to MIDI, so it's usable with any MIDI-capable studio/sequencer/synth. I'll dig up the code sometime...

However I did something significantly different. You set the scale of the keyboard (only two options so far, major/minor, along with the ability to transpose the root key +/- as many steps as you want) and now all the keys play in this scale, so it's impossible to play something out of key. This might not be what you're aiming for, but feel free to use my idea if you want.

Cymon
Level 9

Computer Kid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2009, 08:48:47 AM »

See...

I should have beaten you to the chase when I had this idea about 2 years ago. I even made the synthesizer part, I use pygame for the input and output the notes to MIDI, so it's usable with any MIDI-capable studio/sequencer/synth. I'll dig up the code sometime...

However I did something significantly different. You set the scale of the keyboard (only two options so far, major/minor, along with the ability to transpose the root key +/- as many steps as you want) and now all the keys play in this scale, so it's impossible to play something out of key. This might not be what you're aiming for, but feel free to use my idea if you want.
I haven't made anything yet. And putting an idea here isn't calling dibs on it. If you wanna do an endo around me, be my guest.

Follow me on twitter
nihilocrat
Level 10

Full of stars.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2009, 05:44:09 PM »

Oh no, I haven't got the time or motivation to work on the idea.

mirosurabu
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2009, 01:23:42 AM »

Interesting idea.

(fwiw, I made a similar game some ten years ago in QBasic. pc speaker memories)
bluescrn
Level 1

Unemployed Coder / Full-time Indie :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2009, 11:17:35 AM »

'Piano Hero' has been done quite nicely already:

http://www.synthesiagame.com/

You need mad piano skills to play anything fun, though!

Cymon
Level 9

Computer Kid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2009, 12:56:54 PM »

'Piano Hero' has been done quite nicely already:

http://www.synthesiagame.com/

You need mad piano skills to play anything fun, though!
That's awesome, tho I'm guessing folks will have an easier time finding quicking finding letters than keys like that.

Follow me on twitter
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic