Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1374899 Posts in 65037 Topics- by 57294 Members - Latest Member: freeman

April 01, 2020, 01:31:45 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsHELICONIAN - Starship Crew Control : Space Exploration Roguelike
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: HELICONIAN - Starship Crew Control : Space Exploration Roguelike  (Read 360 times)
OctoMini
Level 0

Talk does not cook rice

View Profile WWW
« on: March 17, 2020, 07:08:46 AM »

I have been developing Heliconian for almost an year and now I want to share the progress with the community. I am hoping to get feedback and ideas on how to make the game the best it can be. I'm planning to release it this year on Windows, Android, and iOS. I'm developing the game with Unity.

Heliconian is a spaceship crew control and time management rogue-like. The idea of the game is to manage the crew members aboard in order to survive, to explore a star system, and to find a safe haven. I'm trying to create a game that is very simple to play, but filled with tough decisions.

You can read more and follow here:
Website
Twitter

Game Play
This is the layout of the starship Heliconian with various compartments. The colorful circles are the crew members and their portraits can be seen at the bottom. The core game play is about moving the crew members around the ship to perform various tasks.

Evolution of the spaceship
Here you see the evolution of the spaceship design. It started from the rooms and their functions and evolved all the way to what you see on the right.

I'll be posting updates soon!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 05:57:39 AM by OctoMini » Logged

OctoMini
Level 0

Talk does not cook rice

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2020, 02:14:08 PM »

Meet the Crew!

In Heliconian you always play with the same crew members. They are all different and carry out different tasks aboard. I'm planning to develop their personalities further through events and dialogues during the game play. Here are their back stories:

Orion - Pilot/Captain
Orion was born to be a leader but wants none of that. He is talented enough to be whatever he wants but settles for modesty. He has a good heart and has a knack for making the right choices. Orion is able to perform any task on board. Rumor has it he’s been genetically enhanced.

Rhombus - Weapons Officer
Rhombus is an ex-military who used to serve under the Imperial fleet. He is an expert in military tactics and has a deep understanding of spacecraft weapon systems. If you ever need a torpedo launching, he’s your man.

E-Sam - Engineer
E-Sam is a young mechanical engineer specialized in gunships. He’s extremely talented for his tender age – a quiet loner who always gets the job done. He's able to repair any hull or engine damage.

Lumen - Medic
Lumen radiates warmth and caring. She studied naturopathic and herbal medicine in the Lorga home world for years. Natural medicine is her specialty, but she isn't afraid of using scientific methods either. Whenever you need medical care, or just a person to talk to, she’ll be there.

Sirius - Scientist
Sirius is the brightest star inside and outside. She holds the highest score ever recorded on the Equinox test. She's a renown geologist and her passion is all things alien life forms. Throw any research task at her and she’ll tackle it with a smile.

Here is the final artwork of the crew members along with the sketches:

I'll post the first game play footage video real soon!

« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 06:03:34 AM by OctoMini » Logged

OctoMini
Level 0

Talk does not cook rice

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2020, 02:43:38 AM »

Here are a few completed enemy designs from the Heliconian.

Gameplay footage is coming soon!

OctoMini
Level 0

Talk does not cook rice

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2020, 02:55:57 PM »

Here's the first trailer with some game play footage! Longer game play video is in the works.

OctoMini
Level 0

Talk does not cook rice

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2020, 11:53:52 AM »

I'm testing a dialogue system to develop the crew member personalities and to make them more alive. Now the crew members can have short conversations by themselves. The system takes into account many variables and tries to adapt the conversation to the current game situation. It considers things like who, where, with whom, enemies, health etc. Now I just have to write a huge pool of conversation strings to draw from...

I'm not sure if this is for all players though. It doesn't have any gameplay effect and it's more clutter on top of everything else that is going on. The game can be quite fast paced and sometimes it requires really tight time management to survive.

You can read more about it here.

OctoMini
Level 0

Talk does not cook rice

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2020, 05:39:59 AM »

Just a small update. Now we can see the outer hull of the Heliconian while zooming in. By the way is it possible to embed mp4 videos on this forum?

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic