Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 08:52:42 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsHeliconian - FTL Meets Overcooked
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Heliconian - FTL Meets Overcooked  (Read 7380 times)
OctoMini
Level 0

Talk does not cook rice

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2020, 10:00:32 PM »

Earlier I talked about the energy shield. Here's a short clip so you can see it in action. I push the SHIELD button while the torpedoes hit and the energy shield absorbs all the damage. Effective, but I already spent 30% of the charge.

« Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 10:09:05 AM by OctoMini » Logged

OctoMini
Level 0

Talk does not cook rice

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2020, 05:32:10 AM »

The third defensive system is countermeasures. The countermeasure system has a limited number of flares and it must be loaded manually in the engine room. Any crew member can do it. Countermeasures must be launched manually and they protect from all torpedoes while they are on air. Here you can see them in action.

OctoMini
Level 0

Talk does not cook rice

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2020, 10:07:13 AM »

Better explosions have been on my todo list forever. I'm happy to tell I finally started working on it. I added some sparkles and debris, bumped up the camera shake, and added an additional blast when the enemy vessel actually explodes. Here's a short video. What do you think? Any ideas on how to improve them further?

Ramos
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2020, 11:07:51 AM »

Pretty much like you said. You manage the spaceship and the crew by moving the crew members from room to room. The exclamation mark icons in the picture represent tasks that can be done. In this example there is broken hull in three parts of the ship and the red icon tells that torpedoes can be shot. The crew members always start working on the tasks automatically when they arrive in the room. However, each crew member is unique and has a special skill set. The captain can take care of any task but the others can deal with only one specific task. Weapons officer can shoot torpedoes, medic can treat the wounded etc. Tasks are completed faster if there are several crew members in the room at once.

The game situation in the picture is quite difficult. The hull has only 3 hit points left, there is hostile spaceship shooting at us, all crew members are tired, 2 of them are wounded, and one of them is sick. Two crew members are in torpedo room loading and shooting torpedoes, but what should the rest of them do and in what order:

- Should they go to the Crew Quarters to rest?
- Should the sick captain go to the Medbay to be treated?
- Should they start repairing the hull?
- Should they go to the torpedo room to help others to load and shoot faster?

These kind of decisions form the core gameplay.

Then yes, your design is indeed good and if you trow some nice upgrades it will surely be a very addictive game

OctoMini
Level 0

Talk does not cook rice

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2020, 03:00:56 PM »

Thank you Ramos for the compliments!

Here's a short clip about fighting multiple enemies at once and utilizing all three defensive systems:

OctoMini
Level 0

Talk does not cook rice

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2020, 10:28:18 AM »

Not much to show this time. I have been fixing bugs and polishing small things. It takes so much time.

Here are two enemy designs:

OctoMini
Level 0

Talk does not cook rice

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2020, 10:23:41 PM »

I have been working with the main menu which is surprisingly time consuming. I have migrated to Unity's new Input System to be future proof. Other challenge has been the quit button which appears only on some platforms. For example, the Windows version should have quit whereas iOS version should not. I'm designing the game for PC, Mac, Linux, and mobiles. Maybe even for consoles if I can figure out a gamepad support that makes sense. Supporting multiple input devices introduces a case where the user might use several input devices at once. For example how the menu behaves when the user first uses mouse to navigate and then in the middle of it switches to a gamepad or vice versa.

Here's a screenshot of the main menu. The buttons still need some work(Any ideas for the style?) but other than that I'm pretty happy with it. It supports resolutions from 4:3(ugly) all the way up to ultra wide 21:9 screens.

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic