Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1374899 Posts in 65037 Topics- by 57292 Members - Latest Member: JMAAGames

April 01, 2020, 11:48:23 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogswander64
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: wander64  (Read 233 times)
gustavolsson
Level 0

View Profile
« on: March 25, 2020, 11:45:19 AM »

So it has been 10 years since I released my first game and I feel that it's time for another one. Not much is decided yet, I prefer that it grows organically. Most importantly, the project should be motivated solely by the joy of making things!

Here we go:

(resolution is 320x240 but my mac is doing some high DPI upscaling magic)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 08:06:05 AM by gustavolsson » Logged
gustavolsson
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2020, 08:18:23 AM »

I implemented the vector and matrix math necessary for 3d transforms, wrote a polygon mesh class, a create_cube() function and a function to convert a poly mesh to a triangle mesh. Tadaa!
Prinsessa
Level 10

Ava Skoog

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2020, 08:49:17 AM »

Will be interesting to see what grows out of this! Blink Blink And that previous racing game was cool, especially considering the custom physics and everything! Shocked Sharing a gamepad sounds hilarious.

gustavolsson
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2020, 09:55:06 AM »

Thanks! Some old players are actually picking up the game again (for nostalgic reasons Smiley) now that I've released the PC port, it's great:

Ao looks really intriguing as well. Do you program it in your own engine? (Looks like it from the screenshots with the IMGUI windows) If so, I'm curious, how do you handle the animations?
Prinsessa
Level 10

Ava Skoog

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2020, 10:13:26 AM »

Hahaha, that's fantastic Kiss Can you get back up again if that happens?

And thank you! It's a custom engine, WIP alongside the game. Smiley Animations are pretty standard skinned/skeletal ones, mostly based on this video tutorial series by ThinMatrix and this text one. Rigged and animated in Blender and exported as glTF 2.

Do you have anything to reveal about what game you'll be devving in this log btw, or don't you know yet? Gomez

gustavolsson
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2020, 10:37:38 AM »

Yes, you can reset the kart but due to my laziness it can spawn facing the wrong way (and the game doesn't tell you that you're going the wrong way) or up on a wall.. but it's part of the charm I think Smiley The code that handles reset just saves the transform of the kart periodically when all 4 wheels have traction and resets the kart to one of those positions when you hit the button.

And thank you! It's a custom engine, WIP alongside the game. Smiley Animations are pretty standard skinned/skeletal ones, mostly based on this video tutorial series by ThinMatrix and this text one. Rigged and animated in Blender and exported as glTF 2.

Cool! I thought they looked too good to be anything else. I'm planning to go a more lo-fi route and see if vertex-tweening or sokpop-style procedural animations will be good enough..

Do you have anything to reveal about what game you'll be devving in this log btw, or don't you know yet? Gomez

I have a vague idea: You're a wanderer deep in the woods. Think snufkin from Moomin. It will be very lo-fi, similar to a Nintendo 64 game. The game is very much up in the air, but I have a pretty good idea of how I want to build the tech framework (which will be reusable).
Prinsessa
Level 10

Ava Skoog

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2020, 02:20:38 PM »

Love it!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic