Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411489 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 04:04:11 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsProject Scavs
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Project Scavs  (Read 1120 times)
UberLou
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: March 26, 2020, 10:22:31 AM »

PROJECT SCAVS

Hello TIG!  This is my 2D metroidvania project codenamed Project Scavs.  I chose this name because I’m learning Gamemaker (switching over from Construct 2) and I’m currently scavenging any code and tutorials I can get my hands on to learn.  Here is my current progress after about 2 weeks. 

I've finished most of the platforming aspects you'd expect form a metroidvania: slopes, jump through platforms, wallsliding, etc.  Most of the animations for those are done (minus some polish), along with some attack and sheathing animations for testing.  I really love fluid animations but I'm trying to balance that and not go overboard with frame counts. 

Next I'm going to put in some level graphics and try out some lighting, just to see how it all looks together. More to come soon!

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2020, 10:30:05 AM »

Nice!! Kiss Looking very slick, and the art is great.

gustavolsson
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2020, 12:55:12 PM »

Looks very smooth, nice! Why are you switching from construct to game maker?
UberLou
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2020, 06:19:03 PM »

Thanks guys!

Why are you switching from construct to game maker?

I could go on for awhile about the things I love and hate about Construct, but mainly I'm switching because they're ending support for Construct 2.  Construct 3 is a web based editor with a subscription payment plan which I don't care for at all. 
Cruckz
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2020, 11:46:42 AM »

Those animations look great!  Grin Wink Smiley

UberLou
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2020, 07:22:21 AM »

I added some background assets and tiles that I already had from my Construct game.  They’re somewhat unfinished but they’re working pretty well.  I struggle with color though so everything has my dull go-to colors: gray and gray with some slight purple or blue. I'm going to try to break out of that when I get to creating different areas.

Most of my time over the past few days was learning about surfaces trying to figure out lighting.  I found tutorials and some shader code on Reddit and I’ve mashed them together into something I like.  The shader stuff is way out of my league, but I can at least understand how surfaces work.  I think it looks pretty decent, but I’d like to try and get realtime shadow casting eventually.

UberLou
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2020, 05:27:08 AM »

Got some enemies walking around!

That's about all they do for right now though.  I want to add some polish to their motion with idle variations and turning animations so they look a lot more natural.  I'm hoping to get to some more complicated AI work this week and have them search out the player.
Schrompf
Level 9

C++ professional, game dev sparetime

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2020, 01:52:26 AM »

I like the atmosphere. Good work!

Snake World, multiplayer worm eats stuff and grows DevLog
UberLou
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2020, 05:06:33 PM »

Man, I love and hate coding.  It takes me so long to do anything but it's so satisfying when something works out.  Here's some more AI patrolling around the area, now jumping over obstacles (with variable jump heights) or turning around.  Next up is figuring out how to make them jump over gaps.

UberLou
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2020, 08:34:02 AM »

I finally figured out some generalized AI to move around the levels using this Reddit post and this website as a guide.  I recoded the AI about 5 times, each time learning a little more, but I've finally landed at a good spot. There's still some edge cases to flesh out and some polishing to do of course but the base is there. I'm really happy with where it is, but even happier to get this done (for now) and take a break from coding to do some graphics work.   

essencescape
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2020, 08:53:00 AM »

Good job with the AI, looks robust. Art style is really decent! Hand Thumbs Up Left

Eyon
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2020, 12:17:00 PM »

Game looks good. Animations and sprite are neat  Smiley

Mobile strategy game in the browser: https://eyon.itch.io/agentsxmonsters
Twitter: https://twitter.com/Eyon_Patrick
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic