Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411493 Posts in 69372 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 05:46:20 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingSpoopy Space Bois Alpha
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Spoopy Space Bois Alpha  (Read 616 times)
kdemsich
Level 0

View Profile
« on: March 29, 2020, 09:41:34 PM »

Feedback Highlights
Some of the most valuable feedback we received from our playtesters pertained to our UI. Specifically, the old UI was too small, didn’t scale well, and was difficult to easily interpret and understand. To address these problems, we overhauled the UI to better keep track of the player’s cool downs, health, and item collection status. In addition to the UI, one thing we heard many players mention was the lack of interactivity with the environment and aliens. To address these problems, we added a stun mechanic for the aliens, and implemented new ways to damage them. On the environmental interactivity side of things, we improved our suite of destructible and movable objects to better differentiate the tools that make each character unique and useful for different situations.

Going Forward
Throughout the course of our next sprint, we plan on implementing a more consistent art style, fine tuning our controls, and refining our enemy and player mechanics to improve the game’s immersion for our next development build. Finally, to add more enemy variety and challenge, we are considering adding a larger boss alien to chase the player around on their quest to fix the escape pod and circumvent their doom.

Builds
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1AM6Z69jvUjyQWA9050rmA5afGSWk1gxc?usp=sharing
DarkGran
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2020, 06:09:39 PM »

Hi bois!

Very interesting concept! Loved to grapple-hook around, and the "duo mechanics" make it a nice puzzle. Although I did have some issues:

1. I was not able to figure out what switching colors of the line that connects the 2 bois does (well I was really trying it out only in the first room), so I left it on yellow (especially because switch on UP/DOWN when left hand is on X and right hand is on mouse is not very practical)
2. While it was fun to move around at first, the aliens proved to be quite a challenge. With the cooldown on jets and not much time to learn, for 5-10 minutes it seemed impossible to cut the aliens without touching them, which meant death soon due to low health.
3. I tried to avoid some of the aliens just to check if it can be done (I will not tolerate invaders on my ship), but the "learning issue" is really about the first one. I often got stuck with him in between boxes, however getting rid of these boxes entirely would make the entire thing much more difficult.
4. After few tries, I found out that the easiest way is to keep the red boi anchored and use the gun to move the blue boi way behind and around the alien. However when this failed, it was really difficult to survive, and even if executed well, the blue boi usually received damage.
5. It seemed way too hard to get to the medpack so I could heal my blue guy. I only once made it to the room with electricity (really cool btw). After a while, I found out what the trouble is: at first I thought I am just not used to the cooldowns and that the UI does not propagate their states right (ready to use / not ready), but then, after some testing in the big room with 3 aliens, I found out that the jetboots often do not work at all. :( Crashing my xzy keys like crazy, but they worked only sometimes, no matter the cooldown. I tried to test if it is somewhat related to whether I used the hook/gun/whatever as the previous action, but did not find out anything. They worked before, but I already died so many times that this unfortunately turned me off from trying to finish the game, but otherwise I certainly would not mind the difficulty, the idea is interesting, and I like spaceships - I want to know how the rest looks like! ;)

Good Luck with whatever you're working on right now! :)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2020, 09:20:46 PM by DarkGran » Logged
dynamite-ready
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2020, 12:42:21 AM »

Also, I know it's not direct feedback, but I'd be more inclined to open an executable, if I can see a screenshot first. Beer!
jbarrios
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2020, 05:55:14 AM »

kdemsich,

I played your game:

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic