Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411474 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58423 Members - Latest Member: antkind

April 23, 2024, 12:33:44 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingYolked! New Adventure Game Demo! We need your advice!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Yolked! New Adventure Game Demo! We need your advice!  (Read 468 times)
MacroHard Studio
Level 0

View Profile
« on: March 30, 2020, 04:46:54 AM »

Hello! We are a team of game development students, here is our first group project: Yolked!

Yolked! is a 3D action-adventure game that follows an egg that's trapped in a kitchen and tries its best to make its way across the kitchen to escape through the window.

Please give us advice on anything about the game!

Here are the links to Yolked!:
Web Build: http://www-personal.umich.edu/~floneyya/Yolked_Alpha/
Download: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LABlXQShrMvihPp31R6-n8ovVx5QamA0/view?usp=sharing

Yolked! is a 3D action-adventure game that follows an egg that's trapped in a kitchen and tries its best to make its way across the kitchen to escape through the window.

New Changes
- Separated arm movement controls
    - Left Move: WAD
    - Left Grab: Space
    - Right Move: Mouse
    - Right Grab: Left Click
    - Pull Up: S
- Added Level 2
- Added egg cracks and egg yolk drips when health decreases
- Added a death animation when egg dies
- Added new checkpoint animations
- Added fall damage
- Added a title screen with animations
- Fixed health bar
- Restricted the movement of arms so it doesn’t get locked as easily
- Added more obstacles (fan, rolling pin, knives)
- Updated guidance
- Obstacle warning animations (spatula and obstacles)
- Added post-processing effects

During the playtesting session, we got a lot of feedback saying that it would be nice if players were able to control both arms separately. This meant that we would either have the keyboard controlling one hand and the mouse controlling the other, or the keyboard controlling both hands. We realized that some keyboards have a 3 key limit, which is why we went with the keyboard+mouse approach. We also expanded on the game by adding new obstacles, a completely new level, more juice and animations. We want to make the game quite challenging at first, but also rewarding when players get used to the controls.

In our next iteration, we want to add one more level and continue to polish the game. This includes adding hands to the egg, camera panning of levels, a game over scene, and perhaps a tutorial scene as well.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 04:40:26 PM by FloneyYang » Logged
marcgfx
Level 8

if you don't comment, who will?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2020, 09:59:52 AM »

I nearly clicked away again after not seeing any screenshots. But you asked for advice. Add some screenshots.
Gave it a quick go. For some reason I seem to only be able to swing using WAD but not with the mouse, seems weird to me.

MacroHard Studio
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2020, 01:25:19 PM »

I nearly clicked away again after not seeing any screenshots. But you asked for advice. Add some screenshots.
Gave it a quick go. For some reason I seem to only be able to swing using WAD but not with the mouse, seems weird to me.

Hi marcgfx, thanks for the good advice. Add some screenshots of the game!

You are right, we have separated the controls for both arms by using WASD+Mouse(Right) or WASD+spacebar(Left) because some keyboards have a 3 key limit, which is why we went with the WASD approach for movement. We will keep trying to improve the controls for better player experience.
 Smiley
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic