Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 12:26:24 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogs[Mobile - Bumpy] Police car chase
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: [Mobile - Bumpy] Police car chase  (Read 1513 times)
tinybits
Level 0

View Profile
« on: April 03, 2020, 02:35:09 PM »

Bumpy is a thrilling police car chase game for android and iOS with immersive yet simple gameplay.

Gameplay mechanics
  • Navigating the city streets driving police car without crashing into other “civilian” cars
  • Chasing the criminals at high speed
  • Attacking the criminals by bumping/ramming them from behind.
  • Upgrading cae

Controls
The game controls resembles arcade like. The car can be moved from left to right using fingers across the screen. Speed of the game is completely controlled by the system thus making handling of the car extremely simple.

Chasing and Attacking
The interesting aspect of the game is the chasing and attacking part. The attack is limited to only ramming or bumping the car from behind. When the chase sequence begins, the system adjusts the speed putting the player behind the criminal car. The player has to closely follow the criminal car,  which is constantly switching lanes, to fill the attack bar.

If you are interested for alpha or beta particiaption, you can subscribe on the website

Website | Twitter
« Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 01:32:12 PM by tinybits » Logged
tinybits
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2020, 11:03:37 AM »

Play testing prototype and not so perfect game with strangers.

I spent this weekend mostly playtesting with different set of users.

Previous mistakes
With my previous game, I did very little play testing. I also tested with my friends and family only. Since they really like me, they were biased and blamed themselves for game being too hard. I wrote a blogpost on this if you are interested.

Correcting previous mistakes
This time, I was determined to do a lot more testing on my game. Additionally, I wanted strangers to test my game. I read a lot of blog posts on people suggesting to go to starbucks or finding random people on streets to test the game. Well, I am not that kind of person to approach people randomly. And people do not have time nor do they care enough to spend 5 minutes on your game.

Hence, I started to hire people on reddit and craigslist to test my game. In return I gave them amazon gift card

Results
I got an overwhelming response of people wanting to participate in my play test. I setup some time over the weekend and had everyone playtest the game followed by feedback. The entire session was planned for 15 minutes, but users ended up talking more with different ideas.

Also note that the game was and is loaded with bugs. The graphics are poor. I instructed users to ignore those and move past it. And users did.
I ended up testing with about 25 people in total (10 family, 15 strangers)

New mistakes
with this play test I made new mistakes. I did not have my demographic in mind because I did not have an audience in mind while building the game. I wanted the game to be easy for my parents to play but fun enough for young adults to try.
Next time, I am going to play test with different set of people to see how they react.

Next update
This week I am working with bunch of contractors to get my art in line. I will provide an update on 04/08 about that process. Stay tuned

Website | Twitter
tinybits
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2020, 01:47:08 PM »

ART

The process of art has always been daunting to me. Where do you start from? Does concept come before prototype? Or is it the other way round? How do you pick an art style? Does retro fit my game or does toon fit my game?  Lips Sealed Droop Crazy

All of the above are hard and confusing options. I reached out to bunch of art colleagues and everyone has different opinion. But there was a common theme which was to pick an art style.

I started researching a lot of racing. I read a lot of reviews on multiple games. I realized that perception is everything. There are two ways I can go with pros and cons of each
Realistic Art

Pros
  • Looks super cool
  • Lot of free assets out there
  • Hardcore fan following
Cons
  • Expensive
  • Time intensive
  • Hard to change perception of people and hence will have to spend a lot of time tweaking the controls of the car to make them seem real

Toony/Stylize Art

Pros
  • Not too expensive (most of the work can be done by shaders)
  • Arcade style game. lot of options here
  • less time intensive
Cons
  • Not many free assets out there
  • Can backfire due to unrealistic controls

In the end, considering my audience is more casual and I have no experience with car physics I decided to go with stylized art and arcade controls.

Concept Art

Note: the entire process was relatively easy because of an existing prototype

I started working with an artist to get a better art and UI for the game(who is terrific btw). To design the game style, we worked through 4 different stages

1. Style map
This helped me see where the game fits. An example is something as below

2. Paper Prototype
Before going to the actual digital wireframe a small cutout made it easy for me to see how the screen would look

3. Wireframes
These are digital extensions of the above prototype

4. Mockup
The final color sketches

Moving through different stages we experimented with different styles to see how the game looks and feels keeping in mind the development limitation and time limitations.

The entire process really helped reduce lot of waste and make sure that me and the artist are both on same page. I cannot stress this enough
It is very critical for team members to be on same page

Next Update
Thats is for now. In the next update I will write about experimenting with different physics of the car game design document by end of week. Stay tuned

If you are interested for alpha or beta particiaption, you can subscribe on the website

Website | Twitter
« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 03:48:45 PM by tinybits » Logged
Jasmine
Level 5

Boop

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2020, 09:23:06 PM »

Oooh! The color scheme is awesome! I absolutely love the look of this! Color does wonders!

How far along in development are you and the team?

afilionComposer
Level 0

Music Composer for Games and Media.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2020, 08:20:57 AM »

Love everything you've got going so far! Your dev logs process is really interesting!

Music Composer for Games and Media.
http://Afilion.ca
tinybits
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2020, 10:22:20 AM »

Oooh! The color scheme is awesome! I absolutely love the look of this! Color does wonders!

How far along in development are you and the team?

The art for all other pages will be completed by 3rd week of April. I have started working on storyboard for the trailer. Next off I am looking for someone to help me with music. As far as engineering development goes, this week I am planning to atleast make the game more challenging (maybe add 5 other enemies). this is where I would have really appreciated help of a game designer. So if you know someone, let me know  Smiley
I am hoping to release it by mid May.

Love everything you've got going so far! Your dev logs process is really interesting!

thank you!! I am hoping to add some value if someone wants to start a business. I had lot of snags and slowdowns on just where to start. Also if you looked at my reply above I am looking for someone to help me with music. If you are interested, email me on [email protected]  Smiley
tinybits
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2020, 12:05:46 PM »

Update 04/15/2020

Sorry for late update. Got too involved with development.

Last week I spent quite sometime refining my game design document. I find game design (every aspect from mechanics to level design to balancing the game economy) to be very difficult. In my mind its a difference between making the player feel good about themselves or leaving them with a feeling that they are stupid or you are a money hogger developer. In either case you lose.

Research
This is the most critical part of entire game development and decided everything for me, from genre to art to mechanics.
Initially the idea of bumpy was very similar to Hill Climb Racing. It sounded exciting and something I would like to play. I did a lot of research, played about 35-40 other games in the endless running genre. Read comments about each game to see why people liked/disliked a particular game. Based on all the data I collected, I realized that a endless chase game was the way to go. It was easy to make players feel good about themselves when they kill an enemy and get coins. There was no level design i.e. I can have procedural levels. I spent about 1 month just on this part.

KISS (Keep is simple, stupid)
I am sure you have heard this over and over again. My goal was to keep is simple to an extent that the previous generation would be able to play this game without enough hand holding. Even with the above research and narrow scope, I still had hundreds of ideas about the game mechanics. Keep the main goal of simplicity in mind, I wrote the initial game design document. Feel free to read through it if you'd like

Game design document
While writing document is the most boring tasks, I have realized that it really helps a scatter brain person like me to create or define a path I want to take. The path may or may not be right (depends on your research) but it helps me stay focused, the lack of which is the reason many projects never see the light.
I found a lot of templates online and just followed it through. I made tens of different iterations based on ideas. However, the one critical input I was missing was the constraint of time. I finally created a game design document that would enable me to create a prototype in 2 weeks to test it out. Using my development experience I was able to ball park the estimates (which was quite off - probably a post for next time). This also made sure that the mechanics were dead simple and I removed all the fat. I identified the core game mechanic and game play loop and wrote great details about it. Note that this was done over weeks rather than one sitting, but next time I will probably flush it out much in advance before starting development.

Prototype
You have the document ready. However just giving the document is not the best way to get the feedback. Everyone interprets words in their own way. Showing a prototype on the other hand narrows that gap significantly. Paper prototypes have rarely worked for me because users do not seem to be too engaged. And this prototype was only 2 weeks. So in grand scheme of things, this was very small time investment with huge return.
The key here is to keep true to the document and not deviate unless there is a major flaw in the design. It is very tempting to keep changing and adjusting your prototype on new ideas. But this will get you into the phase of never ending development.

Feedback
So now you have done your research, have a game design document and made a prototype. Now what? You have to validate everything you did so far. You have to take feedback from your users. I have a post on user feedback and I urge you to read it.

For the next update, I will focus on finding talent online to help you create your game

Note: If you have suggestion on what to cover or how I can improve this dev log, do let me know.
Website | Twitter
tinybits
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2020, 05:38:42 AM »

Update 04/24/2020

And the world comes to life

Just wanted to share this milestone with everyone on this community.

This is what the game looked before (approximately month ago)

And this is what it looks like right now

Here are the biggest upgrades that you can/cannot see
  • New Models
  • New textures
  • NPC cars moving along the road. They were static in the previous version
  • NPC cars moving at different speed
  • Much more physics integration with the cars

Help Required
I am facing the most difficult task which I just cannot seem to improve on and I need help from this community.
I am trying to come up with a good name for this game rather than generic "Police chase" or even "bumpy"
If you guys have recommendations, please help me out Smiley

Website | Twitter
tinybits
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2020, 01:30:26 PM »

Update 05/29/2020

No updates for 1.5 MONTH
Apologies for not keeping this thread updated. I need to get better at this. In my defense I have been busy with finishing the game, but then who is not.

So how did you jump from 20% to 70%
Honestly, this is the first time I think I noticed that I have not been keeping the completion rate upto date. I don't think I noticed it since the inception of this thread. While I have made a lot of progress in last 1.5 month, I did not jump from 20 to 70.More like from 50-70 in past 1.5 month.

Now getting to the update part.
Here are the things that are completed
  • Have upgrade system for the cars
  • Unlock multiple cars
  • Have some enemies for alpha
  • Alpha build
  • Title screen
  • Test Alpha build for feedback

I got immense amount of feedback from lot of different people (known and unknown).

What's next
The biggest feedback I got (besides the enemy car passing through other cars) was that the game gets monotonous pretty fast.
The next round of feedback that I need (soon) is on the level system or assignments or tasks to complete.

This week
This week I worked on getting the assignment system ready. In addition transition at the beginning of the game and end of game.

Start of session

End of session

Crazy pass through bug (intentional)

P.S. I will try to update more regularly. Maybe daily.
tinybits
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2020, 08:16:27 PM »

Update 06/01/2020

Fixing the pass through bug
As mentioned in my previous post, most users complained about the bug where the enemy can pass through other traffic.
The reason this bug existed was because I did not have a good way to deal with this. My enemy cars had hard time detecting other cars to make lane changes.

Why was it hard for cars to detect other cars and change lanes
I initially setup the vehicles to do ray cast to detect other cars. However, there were lot of misses (possibly because the ray was fired from the center to the car and did not cover entire lane).

I made a small change and decided to use box colliders with triggers. So now my enemy cars (which require more accurate car detection than other cars) have box colliders which trigger on finding another car.
This makes it easy for me to decide when to change lanes (eg. when there is truck) and when not to (for flying car effect).

The above gif is in quite a high traffic. And you can notice that the car reacts much better. There are also instances where the car passes between two cars which is pretty sweet.

Thats it for now!!

Over the weekend worked on the pass through bug. Was quite happy with the results
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic