Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 05:05:30 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralWhat do you do when you're not game devving?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: What do you do when you're not game devving?  (Read 1472 times)
brainwipe
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: April 07, 2020, 06:53:10 AM »

If you're full time, do you have hobbies outside gaming?
If you're part time, what are you supposed to be doing? Wink

Do you have any hobbies apart from this?

Me?
I'm a lead web dev, have been coding for 34 years (OMG, I had to count that). When not working on my game, my face is a climbing frame for my kids and I build racing drones.

Your turn!

ThemsAllTook
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2020, 10:36:17 AM »

Lots. Probably too many. I have a 25-hour-a-week job to keep my bank account from running empty, one main game project, a few side programming projects that aren't getting much attention, a YouTube channel that takes a few hours of work every evening, two 2-hour livestreams scheduled every week, an In The Groove and Pump It Up arcade machine I play for an hour every other day, and lately I've been playing a lot of World of Warcraft.

Add in the basic necessities and rare unscheduled events, and that's pretty much a complete listing of my activities. I do sometimes miss having unstructured downtime to just relax and do whatever, but not enough to give up any of the things I'm doing at the moment.

Dr. Büni
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2020, 11:25:10 AM »

I spend a lot of free time on watching let's play, mostly the blind ones, of games that are similar to mine. I find it very useful to know how people feel about specific mechanics, the difficulty (or lack of) in such games, what works and what doesn't work (in their opinions), etc.

I also spend a lot of time on improving my art since it is one of the things I consider to be a hook in my game.

I still play games but not nearly as much as when I was younger.
litHermit
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2020, 12:10:07 AM »

I do freelance graphic design work and gamedev around that (so it switches between full time, part time and none at all). Have been programing for only two years or so. Steadily working on my first solo game for the past year with two more on the back-burner waiting their turn.

Aside that I spend a lot of time: cooking, taking daily (very) long walks and hikes with my partner (or we otherwise spend time together), writing a bit... and spending far too much time passively on reddit and youtube (usually digging through gamedev or some-other-interest related stuff).

Entertainment wise watch some shows and play a game every now and then.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic