Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411476 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58424 Members - Latest Member: FlyingFreeStudios

April 23, 2024, 04:52:12 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignLooking for advice for a roguelike
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Looking for advice for a roguelike  (Read 1707 times)
destinysWalrus
Level 0

View Profile
« on: April 09, 2020, 09:30:14 PM »

My husband and I have begun working on ideas for a game that has semi-alternating sections of roguelike and visual novel. I can probably work out the visual novel stuff, but if anyone has useful tips, or reading material suggestions on crafting a roguelike, those would be awesome. I've never made a game before, but I am somewhat comfortable programming. (Little experience, but I find it fun and interesting to learn).

And, to forestall arguments on the subject of what constitutes a roguelike in this case, the main elements I want -
  • At least some procedurally-generated content (as much as I can manage)
  • It shouldn't be easy - player death should be fairly frequent (at first), and usually the result of a poor player decision (ex: oh, picking up that cockatrice turns me to stone. Bad idea)
  • Permadeath. Ideally, total reset between runs, but I'm reluctantly open to the idea of some progress carrying over
  • Everything turn-based, no real-time stuff, no reflexes required
  • Strict balancing is not required. It's perfectly acceptable for some character choices to be "hard mode".

We have been debating storyline and possible mechanics, but I'm saving those for a possible devlog later - just looking for reading material at the moment.

tl;dr: Advice for making a roguelike please!
litHermit
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2020, 03:20:54 AM »

Though not turn-based, some material I found interesting was the Spelunky book in which the creator goes about the process in more detail. Also the noclip documentary.

There's also some interesting GDC talks about procedurality, roguelikes, etc.

I've heard good things about the book @Play: Exploring Roguelike Games so that might be of interest, but I haven't read it.

Ordnas
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2020, 07:54:16 AM »

Evolution of Roguelike Design by Design Doc can helpful to have a general knowledge to what was already done as game mechanics:

Games:

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic