Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1387155 Posts in 66522 Topics- by 59076 Members - Latest Member: kaikecarlos

January 21, 2021, 12:49:47 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralCOVID-19
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: COVID-19  (Read 3148 times)
J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2020, 02:28:48 PM »

I'm from the school of thought that once you must have contact with other people there is a chance of getting sick independent of your mental state. Masks, hand washing, and reduced contact with other humans can decrease the chance of getting sick...
Imagine to never have contact with other people.

Joking aside, that's bad and not how the nature game works. And you don't have to be an esoteric guy to come to this conclusion as established insights in biology already imply this. You are not independent from your surroundings and (countless) microorganisms. Life is a continuous loop of exposure and stimulation to those things. The more you break this loop, the weaker you get. For this reason, one of the worst things you could do to your kid is to shelter it from any dirt and let it grow up in sterile environments.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2020, 02:46:36 PM »

The hygiene hypothesis has been at least partially proven correct yes*, but that still doesn't help someone who will for whatever reason have the killing kind of immune system response to a covid infection right now.

*e.g. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5682104/
https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2013/10/why-bee-sting-might-be-good-you

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2020, 03:03:10 PM »

As for the typical anecdote of mine, I use to run in just shorts at sub-zero temperatures in the park. Often enough some people try to stop me and tell that I will get sick just because they would get sick. I tell them that I am doing this for over 25 years. And I tell them that they get sick precisely because they aren't running around naked. What they think prevents them from getting sick is making them sick in the first place. That's the seeming paradox to digest. Especially, compared to animals we have the advantage to take conscious action and optimize our body and mind for greater health.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
michaelplzno
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2020, 03:35:06 PM »

I applaud you for admitting your weakness. For you see, I only use physical bodies at various times and locations to circuitously and ephemerally influence the course of human events to my liking. In fact, some of your wisdom about punishing your body to gain strength is a ruse I created shortly after writing the Principia Mathematica as a way to punish my friend Jacques, you may know him as one of the apostles, but in fact he was the first of what today would be called Jocks interestingly enough.

My mind, however, is capable of creating sustained atomic reactions by physically crushing atoms together with my neurons, in fact that is how I power my AC unit. The AC unit, which has a side effect of cooling my apartment to below what contemporary to this post scientists would consider "absolute zero" temperatures is that it also mentally conditions a swath of people, animals, and plants to do my bidding in this and several other lesser realities. I bought the unit on sale at COSTCO. COSTCO, being the Contemporary Operating System Temporally Congruent to Orthogonality.

#Truestory.

J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2020, 03:52:07 PM »

The hygiene hypothesis has been at least partially proven correct yes*, but that still doesn't help someone who will for whatever reason have the killing kind of immune system response to a covid infection right now.
Yes, but that is the unfortunate truth for any "jackpot" situation. Doesn't need to take covid 19, you can take any types and permutations from the billions of viruses out there and find someone allergic to it.

Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2020, 06:20:18 PM »

j-snake we can prevent people from dying of this thing while spreading awareness of how to optimize one's immune system at the same time

woodsmoke
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2020, 12:16:37 AM »

I was already social distancing before it was cool.  Cool

velocirection
Level 2

Your favorite pizza raptor game developer

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2020, 05:55:26 PM »

It sucks. Working retail is sucks especially during a pandemic. Though I've adjusted well considering I don't go out except for work and to hit the gym as I'm a lonely and reclusive dinosaur.

Update: working retail is still sucks during pandemic

https://twitter.com/velocirection
(WARNING- NSFW, 18+! Adults only!)
angrycactus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2020, 09:54:12 PM »

Here the number of cases is growing rapidly and it's silly how we are not quarantining at all. In March everything closed up only after a few cases and we handled it pretty well, but now when quarantine is essential, no one is doing much except demanding masks worn in cafes or schools. All because elections are coming up, probably -.-
J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2020, 10:20:29 AM »

Here the number of cases is growing rapidly
Are you talking about the number of infected or the number of people who are getting seriously sick from it? It is important to distinguish.

Sarah Boeving
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2020, 09:22:09 AM »

Are you talking about the number of infected or the number of people who are getting seriously sick from it? It is important to distinguish.

From what I understand about 215k people have died so far (And that's just the US.) Its definitely not something to take lightly. There's been reports too that some people that recovered still had weird lasting side effects.

I know on a personal note, I haven't been visiting my grandpa much because i'm afraid of infecting him (he's like 95 years old and still doing well) Its one of those things where its not about how you feel, its more about how you may be effecting others if you continue helping the spread.

Sarah Boeving - 2D/Pixel Artist - Portfolio - Currently working on REM Cycles!
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2020, 05:37:59 AM »

Wouldn't those two numbers go up together?

michaelplzno
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2020, 04:56:42 AM »

Quote from: J-Snake
Its quite simple, due to toughness numbers are only abstract concepts that the weak worship, you nerd. It is entirely possible for the amount of infected people to go up and the number of seriously sick people to go into the negative because it is possible that some people who have the virus become super saiyans because the virus forced them to do a bunch of crunches and squat thrusts. Did I mention that I am very strong? - This really is me, J-Snake saying this btw.

InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2020, 06:55:59 AM »

Lmaooo. I just spit coffee all over myself

Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2020, 07:03:59 AM »

but yeah not necessarily
if the spread is in retirement homes vs in schools
if it's isolated to the latter you're just gonna get lots of people testing positive and very few seriously ill
while for the former you'd have casket caravans

J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2020, 07:14:54 PM »

Very flawed assumption as correlation doesn't imply causation. The only relyable data here is to know how much more the hospitals have to be occupied now. And then it becomes evident how cut back the health care system is.

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2020, 04:14:58 PM »

The "correlation doesn't imply causation" argument doesn't really work here since there's a clear cause and effect link between the two variables in question. Any significant spike in cases that leads to community spread will cause an increase in both total cases numbers and seriously ill numbers since it will eventually spread across age/risk groups.

michaelplzno
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2020, 05:55:54 PM »

I'm not even sure you actually mean what you are arguing jsnake at this point or are just trolling, but even if you are arguing that the people with weak immune systems were already too weak and needed to be culled (which is a disgusting argument) and that exposure to micro-organisms is essential and necessary, exposure to covid and exposure to some dirt or even a common cold are much different things:

Covid is known to have long term effects even after symptoms subside that DO NOT make you stronger.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/coronavirus/in-depth/coronavirus-long-term-effects/art-20490351

Arguing that getting covid will boost your body in any way is like arguing that getting your arm cut off will make you stronger because you can fit through smaller spaces. Yes, you are immune afterwards but it is not good. Its a goofy nonsense argument: getting sick makes you healthy.

Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2020, 08:00:43 PM »

It's not as simple as just exposure to the thing builds immunity to the thing. It's more that exposure to all kinds of environmental bullshit our ancestors adapted to will balance your immune system so that you're less likely to die or get seriously ill from the immune system response itself (or suffer from dumb allergies to normal things). Apparently an overly aggressive response is a problem in particular with covid because it's in your lungs? I'm not a doctor but read the stuff I linked further up and watch this video

But basically yes protecting your kids from eating dirt and getting insects bites is bad parenting.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2020, 07:21:47 AM by Schoq » Logged

michaelplzno
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: November 09, 2020, 04:21:44 PM »

you guys, the answer is Llama Nanobodies:

https://scitechdaily.com/llama-nanobodies-could-be-a-powerful-new-weapon-against-covid-19/

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic