Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 20, 2024, 01:32:39 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignGames from Games or Games from Life
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Print
Author Topic: Games from Games or Games from Life  (Read 17760 times)
waruwaru
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: November 13, 2007, 02:18:50 PM »

I think Life should borrow more from Games TBH.

Q: If you are living in a "game", would you know it?
Keops
Level 6

Pixellin' and Gamedev'n

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: November 13, 2007, 02:23:11 PM »

I think Life should borrow more from Games TBH.

Maybe life should borrow more from SOME games... I think life so far borrows too much from Call of Duty and Medal of Honor, and a lot from OMG GRINDAN GAMES xD (MMO anyone? Looks like we need to grind to pay the bills)... Maybe if life got inspired by some other games, things would be a LOT better. (I think this thread will evolve into a "what if" thread discussing the endless possibilities for life like X game)

See ya!

Hearthstead: Hand Point Right Website - Twitter Hand Point Left

OPEN FOR COMMISSIONS! Behance portfolio
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: November 13, 2007, 02:26:02 PM »

I can agree with that too. A lot of people think of life as mundane and games as adventurous, but I think people should take some of the lessons they learn in games and bring them to real life. I remember having discussions in the old Ohrrpgce forums about how life can be adventurous too, that you get better and better through experience and leveling-up, that you can achieve great quests and explore interesting areas and ally yourself with a heroic party and even play a part in saving the world, and that it's interesting to treat your life as if you were a character in a game seeking to actively interact with the world in the way that the hero of a game actively interacts with his world. Some agreed but I also got the 'life isn't exciting! important things don't happen! all I do is go to school/work all day! life has no point!' responses too.

But it's mainly one's perspective, it's not anything in life itself that makes it more mundane than games are. We could see independent gaming as a new revolution and ourselves as front-line revolutionaries shaping the outcome of games for hundreds or thousands of years, or we could see it as just a fringe movement by people who like making their own games that won't change much. I'm not saying we should be over-serious about it and spend every waking moment in the pursuit of this great quest, but a little bit of the feeling that our actions effect change doesn't hurt.

Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: November 13, 2007, 07:19:30 PM »

Borrow from neither.
Fathom something unfathomed.

Can it be done?

And yet...

Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: November 14, 2007, 01:02:51 AM »

Borrow from neither.

You were borrowing from the English language when you wrote that post.

Might as well call you Pop Cap Jr. from now on.  Cool

frosty
Level 1

ice cold & refreshing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: November 14, 2007, 02:30:04 AM »

Just remember that when you borrow, you eventually have to pay it back... with interest.

Keops
Level 6

Pixellin' and Gamedev'n

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: November 14, 2007, 06:01:22 AM »

Borrow from neither.

You were borrowing from the English language when you wrote that post.

Might as well call you Pop Cap Jr. from now on.  Cool

En'ath alk ckathur nar'aö´p slemh...

(and even there I borrowed from the alphabet we use for english, spanish and several other languages... Hey, it's tough being 100% original)

Hearthstead: Hand Point Right Website - Twitter Hand Point Left

OPEN FOR COMMISSIONS! Behance portfolio
Redwire
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 05, 2007, 12:34:00 PM »

Personally, I think game should borrow more from imaginary than the real life.
But who care? there's alot of retro and remake out there
And most of them add in some way to the original.

Game is a medium
It can be anything you want

And that say, I can't stand all those sports games and simulators

Programming for the mass
Ruby | Python | Lua
nayon
Level 5

dickfish

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 05, 2007, 04:12:29 PM »

Well, I guess there isn't any specific definition of "game" as to what it draws from, but of course, certain aspects that a game draws from will be interpreted and liked differently by separate people.. For example some people like impressionist paintings, some like surrealist... Just like that, some people like super-detailed simulation games, some people like super-abstract LSD induced weirdo games... Either way, it's up to the person, and I don't think this matter can be debated and a general acceptance can be reached, so one should do/play whatever fits one's style best, but not be too aggressive towards other styles... Yes, I also think sports games are crap but some people enjoy them... Maybe those people don't have such "high taste in games" like "us", but they still enjoy them, so let them be... I listen to metal mostly, and my other friends who also listen to metal always talk shit about other musical style since they're so "tr00", but I disagree with them, just because that music isn't as "tr00" or "skilled" or "br00tal" as yours, that's no reason to deny its existence right? People listen to pop,jazz,classical,blues and all the other styles, you don't have to, so don't listen, and let them be.

Also, about borrowing from stuff, again, whatever suits you is best, and don't be too negative about other opinions, and no need to argue too heatedly.. Yes, arguing is good, it breeds thought, but ultimately do what you feel is most comfortable...

I think the more I write, the more I stray from meaning and coherence so I stop here. If anyone wants I can elaborate on what I just said.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic