Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 01:00:13 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralDo you guys like to read?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Do you guys like to read?  (Read 2474 times)
Iggy_Gamechuck
Level 0

I'm the guy from Gamechuck

View Profile WWW
« on: April 16, 2020, 08:08:58 AM »

I'm curious. What books do the game devs read in their spare time/during the quarantine?  Grin

I'll start with my top 3

It can’t always be caviar (Johannes Mario Simmel)

A perfect book for those times when you’re lying in a hospital bed with a broken knee. A crime/comedy/recipe book that follows Thomas Levin who is driven out of London and made to work as a spy for four different countries during and after World War II. One of the best things about the novel is that contains quite detailed recipes for different meals Thomas cooks while off his duty.

Dreamcatcher (Stephen King)

I’m a big fan of Stephen King and his work. Movies are also good, although Dreamcatcher the movie was crap, unfortunately. The novel is about an alien invasion, your own body abduction and manipulation, and a lot of creepy, creepy gore. Love it.

1984 (George Orwell)

I’m also a fan of dystopia, and George Orwell mastered it with 1984. Part of the reason why I liked Half-Life 2 that much.

At Gamechuck we chuck games!

Gamechuck on Steam

Our upcoming games:

Ordnas
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2020, 10:35:26 AM »

I like books! At the moment I am reading Animal Farm by George Orwell. I never read 1984, I should!

Games:

TacoBell_Lord
Level 2

Burrito Connoisseur

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2020, 05:10:06 PM »

Been reading a lot of Sci-Fi novels from the mid-50s/Silver Age, also re-reading Dante's Inferno atm!!  Grin Grin

RPG Gamer/Burrito Addict

Explore the Cosmos. Working on Project 88x doods.
InvokeArt13
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2020, 04:30:41 PM »

I love to read! Reading is a big part of the reason I've gotten so invested in story-telling and narration. It feels amazing bringing a whole world to life with just your voice. I was that weird kid in school who actually enjoyed reading out loud when called on to do it and in private, I also read out loud. It has always been fun for me to do. It also makes you a better writer, even if you don't consider yourself one lol.

Favorite genre for me is fantasy, hands down! Sci-Fi is good too. :D
Eyon
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2020, 11:56:18 AM »

[...]in private, I also read out loud [...]
Favorite genre for me is fantasy, hands down! Sci-Fi is good too. :D

You read outloud? Don't you get tired when you read a lot? Doyou do different voices for the characters?

I like to read too but only fiction. I started Dune three years ago, then Bernard Werber which I LOVE. And now I'm reading Asimov for the first time. Not foundation, but a collection of several stories. He is pretty difficult to read, I can feel he is an og. The book is translated in french so I don't have his original texts though.

Mobile strategy game in the browser: https://eyon.itch.io/agentsxmonsters
Twitter: https://twitter.com/Eyon_Patrick
omnilith
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2020, 01:20:56 PM »

ive always enjoyed reading, i recently finished The Divide by Matt Taibbi and i'm currently reading Chaos by Tom O'Neill. if you're looking for more fiction type stuff i really love The Dispossessed by Ursula Le Guin

popcron
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2020, 10:46:16 PM »

unfortunately im illiterate, but i have read replay by tristan donovan.
good recap of the history of the game development industry, it doesnt really talk about design specifically but its good otherwise.

been trying to get back into reading but i dont particularly have the desire to read books in general. i wouldnt say i dislike reading, most books ive read made me think otherwise, i just cant be bothered to dedicate myself to a book.
litHermit
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2020, 12:44:37 AM »

I love reading, but spending so much time reading stuff online (and in games) I've become loathe to pick up a book. I do listen to a lot of audiobooks though, mostly non-fiction.

tank.donuts
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2020, 03:48:09 AM »

I really love to read. It's one of the things that keeps me calm and happy, whatever it is i am reading. I like to read something dark, or I like good old fantasy
I like Terry Pratchett very much

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts
muki
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2020, 05:32:04 AM »

Love reading! Mostly sci-fi, but a bunch of fantasy too. I like many of the classic authors, but I wouldn't say I love their work, due to the dated nature they'd often write many of their characters (some exceptions though). So I tend to prefer more modern/contemporary authors.

Alastair Reynolds if I had to pick a fave.  Gentleman
angrycactus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2020, 10:45:00 PM »

I love to read and love to expand my library regardless of the genre. Lately been reading some sort of magical realism stuff and it slaps
dude
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2020, 12:22:37 PM »

I used to read a lot, but now I manage to read only on a beach or on a plane. The good thing is that I travel a lot :D
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2020, 01:49:45 PM »

i cannot read or write
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic