Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 09:52:53 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsCloudscape - A farm life survival action-adventure game
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Cloudscape - A farm life survival action-adventure game  (Read 3552 times)
Konidias
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« on: April 21, 2020, 06:56:00 PM »

Cloudscape
Platforms: PC - Mac - Linux - (Switch Potentially)
( Steam Store Page )
( Twitter Dev Page )

Intro
Hi and welcome to the Cloudscape TIGSource dev log! This game has been a passion project of mine for many years, and over the past few months I've started bringing my dream game to life. Cloudscape is a top-down action adventure game with elements of farming, crafting, survival and much more. Huge inspiration from games such as classic Legend of Zelda, Stardew Valley, Minecraft and Animal Crossing to name a few.

About the game
In the game you play as a character stranded on an uninhabited island with no memory of how they got there. (I know, it's pretty much a trope at this point) You will need to gather resources and craft tools, shelter and weapons to survive on the island until you find a way off. During the day the island is peaceful, but at night, monsters will appear and attack you. You'll need to find ways to survive each night as you slowly build up the island.

But getting off the island is just the beginning, as you will then be able to travel to new islands... that are definitely inhabited.

Gameplay
The gameplay is action based and fully controller supported. There's no clicking the mouse to collect things, you'll need to fully interact with the environment. There are a dozen different abilities to master, including crafting, farming, mining, woodcutting, bug catching, cooking and more.

The game takes place in a fantasy world and there are over 50 people to meet and interact with, and the ability to romance eligible partners as well. You will also have full control over your own island, meaning you can build anything you want, anywhere you want. You can create lakes or rivers, build a clifftop home, decorate your island and a whole lot more.

Growing some tomatoes (time sped up)

Change the landscape however you see fit

Fully customizable character

Below are some of the latest screenshots. Much of it is still in development (the time/date stuff is a placeholder which is why it is scaled so weird)

Konidias
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2020, 01:26:52 AM »

I've been working tirelessly for a week straight to get the entire crafting system implemented. There's still stuff that needs to be done, and I'm not 100% happy with all the art yet, but it's fully functional so I'm happy about that.

Konidias
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2020, 04:15:17 PM »

Been working hard on the game. I took a bit of time to create a video dev log for the game.

msmagala
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2020, 01:46:29 AM »

Really love the look of this game! Some really smooth gameplay and I like that there's the option to meet a whole range of new characters. The main character is adorable as well!  Smiley

Hello! My name is Marek, and I'm Composer for Videogames. I have a passion for storytelling through games and music, and love to work on new and exciting projects. www.mjsmagala.com
Konidias
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2020, 06:23:05 PM »

Thanks! I can't wait to work on all the characters, honestly... but I need a vertical slice of the game and the characters don't make the cut for it, so they'll have to wait. Smiley

Konidias
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2020, 06:30:50 AM »

I've posted a new dev log concerning combat and enemy AI.

This covers how I went about choosing the type of combat for my game and a bit of the research I did when making it. I've chosen to go with a zelda-like fast paced action style of combat in order to break away from the more point and click/slow combat that this sort of genre has been used to.

Konidias
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2020, 09:17:22 AM »

New dev log is live! I go over how I'm doing 2-D procedural world generation to create the islands in the game.

Konidias
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2020, 04:56:19 AM »

Latest snapshot from the game. I've been doing a lot of work on the tree growth and digging in the game.

Trees have 5 stages of growth from seed to full grown tree. Each adult tree can produce two offspring nearby, and after that it will produce seeds that will drop if the player bumps the tree. Trees only produce offspring if the wind blows and they have reached the point of being able to do it.

Along with that I've set up the shovel and digging system. Players can dig up the tree seeds (currently a pinecone in the ground) and take it as an item, or they can bury the pine cone in a hole to plant it. Players can also use the shovel to dig holes in grass, dirt and sand. When digging the player can randomly dig up grass/dirt/sand items that can be used as resources. The player can also place any item in an empty hole to bury it, and of course dig it out later.

Tomorrow I plan to add random items underground for the player to discover, including fossils, artifacts, resources and treasure.

Konidias
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2020, 11:44:15 AM »

This week I talk about how I've implemented a digging system and natural tree growth into the game!

ternbasedcombat
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2020, 05:57:27 PM »

This looks AMAZING!

Do you already have someone to write music for you?

I would love to write a tune!

TM
Rogod
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2020, 09:59:21 AM »

This looks awesome - I don't understand why it's not getting more attention xD

I think you may want to change the line "Fully customizable character" though Tongue - You're only changing the character's face in that .gif, not its height/width/colour/stance/hair or anything else. (Would be cool if this was all customizable though.)

Keep going though! I'm digging the style for sure :3

Konidias
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2020, 02:19:16 PM »

For now I plan to tackle the music and sfx myself but if I fail miserably at that, I'll definitely be putting feelers out for someone to help!

As for why it doesn't get attention, lol... I dunno... some things just don't hit on different sites sometimes. I'm doing pretty good on YouTube and Twitter, so I'm not too worried. Smiley

I realized I didn't actually show off the full character customization in the clip, lol... that's a blunder on my part. But yeah, you can fully customize the character as well. All the clothing, hairstyle, body color and face. Smiley

Thanks for the comments!

Konidias
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2020, 05:53:24 PM »

New dev log posted a couple days ago!

Just to update TIG Forums specifically, I've been going through a lot of my previous code and structuring and basically just optimizing and re-structuring things. I felt like now was a good time to do it, and I had some structure issues that I wanted to resolve. Namely, I'm using object pooling and I want to keep the amount of different prefab objects to a minimum, because each new object means I need to account for it in the pool.

So for things like crates, crafting tables, furnaces, signs, etc... These all initially had their own prefab object to define them. This can get costly because again, if a player moves into an area with a bunch of crates, it needs to generate new crates and add them to the pool. If the player then leaves the area and goes to an area with a bunch of other objects like a crafting table, furnace, sign, doors, etc... Then it needs to go and create instances for each one of those different objects, while still just sitting on a bunch of crate objects in the pool which are sitting in memory.

So I've been doing my best to start combining like-objects together. Now doors, crates, furnaces, anvils, crafting tables and signs all share one object. I grouped these together because these are all player-made structures which usually have only 1-2 different states and some form of interaction. Most of the objects allow the player to interact with them and then change their state to visualize that.

So now instead of a ton of crate objects just sitting in the pool off to the side, those objects get re-used more efficiently and get loaded in as other types of objects.

While it's true I could probably make a single "master" prefab with every object inside, there becomes a different issue of having all of that stuff in every single object for no real reason other than to not have to instantiate as many things.

The end result is I get a cleaner and simpler structure for things on my end, and the game has less to load into memory.

Unity is a tricky beast because of it's garbage collection and how some of the most important functions/commands are the ones that eat up the most performance.

When I first started making the game I would just instantiate things and destroy them as needed. This proved to be extremely BAD for optimization and garbage collection. Especially because my game uses chunk loading which is loading and unloading hundreds of objects quickly. Object pooling was a no brainer, but it presents it's own little issues, like having to properly reset any object you put back into the queue, and then properly set it all again when you use it. Anyway, that's all for my rant/information dump on structure and object pooling. Smiley

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic