Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411421 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: timothy feriandy

April 18, 2024, 03:51:03 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMorterra - 3D Multiplayer Browser Survival
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Morterra - 3D Multiplayer Browser Survival  (Read 2470 times)
Morterra
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: April 28, 2020, 06:56:45 PM »

Morterra DevLog
Hey everyone!

I've been working on Morterra for many years now, and have always wanted to share it, so here goes!

I thought of the idea for Morterra between 2005-2010. The idea started off as a world with no rules, where players could fight freely. I originally liked this idea because I had played the game Runescape, and frequently PVPed in the wilderness - an area where you could fight other players, and the winner gets the other player's loot. I loved this concept, but I had always wished the entire world was the wilderness, to make every single action exciting. Eventually I started playing games like Age of Empires and then later Minecraft, and loved the idea of being able to build freely and building defenses to protect yourself.

I also really loved how Runescape and Minecraft were originally available to play on the browser. I thought that games should be played on the browser, since it allows anyone to play from anywhere. So I spent a lot of time learning how to program in order to start building this game.

I couldn't say the exact date when I started developing Morterra, but here's the earliest screenshot I could find:

The screenshot is dated November 13, 2011. I was working on a Java based 2D application that I would eventually upload as an applet to a website. I was making the mouse movement rotate the image, and arrow keys change the position of the image.

The only coding experience I had at this point was from some Runescape private servers I ran when I was in middle school, so even creating the application window was a milestone to me.

The next screenshot I could find is dated 6/1/2012. You can see part of the login screen, and you can see that I'm testing connections to the server:

My next screenshots are from 7/26/2013 and 8/6/2013. I've got some pictures drawing and have multiplayer (partially) working at this point.

You'll also notice I change the names quite a bit throughout - I never really liked any of them, and eventually came up with Morterra.

By 12/26/2013, I had a player sprite, a chat box, and a terrible login screen:

By 3/29/2014, I had tested a ton of fake players online at once:

By 6/7/2015, I had made a ton of progress. I created items, objects, player equipment, player levels (health, hunger, thirst, etc.), there were now zones (areas for players to build), and you can see I have each object laid out to test functionality. A flag is shown for claiming zones to build on, some boulders for mining, an anvil for smithing items, and plants for food. The sprites are terrible, but I had spent HOURS drawing them in MS Paint & Gimp. I'm obviously not an artist Shrug

If you're wondering why the time gap is so spread out, I would only have time to work on Morterra during breaks from school. I would spend a ton of time over the summer & winter breaks working on it.

You'll also notice I finally had found the name "Morterra", which is a combination of the words: "morte" meaning death, and "terra" meaning land. I felt like this was perfectly fitting because the entire world was meant to be a land of death. I had learned that morterra.com was available, but unfortunately very quickly a squatter had bought it, so I had to come up with a different name temporarily. I ended up waiting a year for the domain the become available Tears of Joy

By 8/6/2015 I had added karma, player inventory, plants growing, 2D animations, collisions, and keys (for doors and chests):

At this point, school was starting and I wanted to publish the game quickly. I had no HTML/CSS experience so I set up the most basic site I could to include the download link. I had learned at some point that browsers were deprecating Java applet embedding, so the browser based dream had died. Anyways, here is a pic of me creating the basic website to link to the download:

Here are some pics from 8/27/2015 that show horses, and bases. I think this was on the live game, but I'm not sure. The game should have been live by this time.

So I this is where I basically stopped working on Morterra for a while. I let the server run during this time, and would get on to check it occasionally, but the fact that the game wasn't browser based was probably my biggest pullback from continuing improving it. Eventually, I had learned some Node.js and had gained some experience with HTML/CSS/JS. I decided to rebuild the game entirely using Websockets and draw the 2D game to a HTML canvas. It wouldn't take nearly as long this time around, because most of the hard work was done. I simply needed to re-factor the Java code to Javascript, re-do the canvas, and re-do the packet management.

By June 12, 2017, I had most of the canvas rendering completed, sleeping, collisions, equipment, and much more:

By June 29, 2017, I had item pickup, inventory, zones, combat, object interaction, and object placing completed:

By November 1, 2017, the game was live! You can check out this version now at: Classic Morterra. Keep in mind, there will be plenty of bugs here and there. I've since moved on to 3D, so the classic version is no longer updated!

Moving On: 3D
Once the 2D version was live, I was already on my way to building the 3D version. A new 3D engine was built for 3D rendering called Babylon.js, which I started using to rebuild Morterra. I recruited a long time friend of mine to help, who is quite an artist. He began working on the 3D modelling (which he had never done before), and eventually redoing the 2D sprites and UI.

By November 18, 2018, I had gotten the world rendering, and used white spheres as 3D model placeholders:

By November 19, 2018, we had some object models created:

By December 8, 2018, we had made a ton of progress: animal models, tree models, building object models, UI, fire, and more:

By January 10, 2019, we had object locks, and a basic player model. The player model was decent, but I had tried paying some guy on the internet to make it for us, since my friend didn't have experience with rigging/animations. Unfortunately the guy I paid only made the base model and then quit on us. So we eventually had to hire someone else to build a completely new model, they also didn't complete it, and we had to finish it from there. Don't worry, we are now working on an entirely new model from scratch that is much better Wink

By June 27, 2019, we had gotten the player model rigged with equipment rendering. The game was launched in a very primitive alpha testing version:

A couple of game play screenshots from July 2019:

By August 14, 2019, we had made a ton of new progress on updates. We added all new metal types and alloy metals, a foundry for collecting and smelting ore, and metal construction objects:

By October 5, 2019, we had revamped the UI:

By November 20, 2019, we added explosive raiding, along with alchemy tables, and new item sprites:

By April of 2020, Morterra has made a ton of improvements. The terrain is now 3D, you can register your account, we've completely redone most of the 3D models, and more:

That's it for now!

We have organically grown an active player base, and we're excited to keep growing! I will keep this log updated as much as possible. I will also try to find some more vintage screenshots, so consider this post a work in progress!

Let me know what you think!

If you want to check the game out: Morterra - Multiplayer 3D Browser Survival Game

Please let me know any feedback you have!

Thanks for reading! Hand Thumbs Up Left
« Last Edit: December 11, 2020, 03:41:18 PM by Morterra » Logged
Morterra
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2020, 07:57:41 PM »

Update:
- Added private messaging: "/pm <username> <message>" or "/r <message>" to reply
- Added world map & player list (Hold 'm' or 'g' to view)
- Improved minimap
- Improved tutorial
- Fixed sprites (centered & resized bugged sprites)
- Fixed account username bug

What's next:
- Sneaking
- Sleeping bag timer
- New player 3D model
- Auto-drop options (sticks, etc.)
- Bow buff

Check them out now: Morterra - Multiplayer Browser Adventure Game

Stay tuned!
Morterra
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2020, 09:48:43 PM »

Update!
Hey guys, we just launched the update with the new player model! This new model looks cleaner, and is MUCH more optimal (roughly half the amount of drawn faces). It is also built in such a way that allows us to add more content moving forward, such as crossbows, jewelry, etc. We will also be adding genders, races, hair styles/color options in the near future!
We also fixed a bug that was breaking pointer lock for some users, we fixed and are working on some major bugs in Firefox (please use Chrome regardless ), and we made quite a bit of small optimizations, so you should notice a slight improvement in overall FPS.
In the near future, we will be optimizing the game drastically. Our goal is to be able to sit at 60 FPS on just a standard laptop (without an advanced GPU), and then eventually add controls so that you can play on mobile.
Our next goal aside from optimization is improved PVP. We want to make PVP more dynamic and skill based. We will be buffing bows, adding crossbows, sneaking, jewelry, bandages, and even blocking with shields to absorb damage.
It's hard to say when these updates will be out, but we will be working hard on them every day. But, now that the new player model is out of the way, the hardest part is done, so it should be much more frequent updates moving forward!

Please let us know any feedback you have!

Here are some pictures:

Be sure to check it out: Morterra - 3D Browser Sandbox Game
Morterra
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2020, 09:05:04 PM »

Hey guys! I've just published the latest changes to Morterra, here's what's new:

- Fixed the camera rotate bug (If you experience any lag with the camera, you can also disable hover text in settings)
- Fixed player hit boxes
- Added mouse sensitivity setting
- Added jewelry - gems are a very rare drop and jewelry can be crafted on alchemy tables
- Gold necklaces stop level decay (player won't get hungry/thirsty)
- Ruby necklaces make food add to health and health regenerates faster
- Diamond necklaces make weapons/tools/armor not decay when used
- Emerald necklaces basically give you a second roll at the mining drop table if you get an aluminum/iron drop (2x rare drop rate)
- Crowns can be crafted and have the perks of all of the jewelry combined (in the future it will have more meaning: show on map, taxes, high score for time equipped, etc.)
- Crossbows
- Bows received a buff
- Pickaxe raiding has received a small nerf
- Weapon attack radius has been improved drastically
- Weapon strength now accurately reflects the damage dealt on a naked opponent
- Flags now take 7 days to start decaying
- Flint & steel item has been added for multiple firemakes
- Hit markers now float independently of player models
- A red screen hit indicator now exists in the UI to signal when you've been hurt (in the future we will add directional hit indicators)
- Death screen now shows who you were killed by
- Added a public dev server for players to test out PvP and future updates. Chests spawn throughout with various valuable loot.

First player to craft and wield a crown (with proof: send a screenshot to the discord), will have their account be the first account listed on our future Hall of Fame page. This will be a page that is filled with various accolades that we choose. Eventually the game will consist of "seasons" where an individual or clan will win and be added as the winner of that season.

Play Morterra - Multiplayer PvP Game
Rogod
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2020, 02:13:28 AM »

Just an observation, but you probably want to amend your first post with some of the 3D screenshots near the top (one can scroll half way down this thread and see only 2D pictures of a game that has 3D in the thread title Tongue )

EDIT:
Hah, the pictures don't even do it justice - I had a go and this actually looks quite fun - I drank a whole pond :D!
Also I think maybe having a more intuitive interface with prompts may help as I skipped the tutorial then couldn't work out any of the controls (assuming they'd be something fairly standardized).

Schrompf
Level 9

C++ professional, game dev sparetime

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2020, 02:42:31 AM »

Works already nicely. I want to ramp up the mouse sensitivity. Occasionally I had a bug where the craft menu didn't show the required resources on mouse-over. Also, the bench needs a "large log" or something and I only got a medium one from somewhere. The inventory limitation at first is very annoying. I ran around and collected stuff, and I needed 10 minutes or so to realize that all of that was in vain. Hm. Stuff dropped at the ground was sometimes uncollectible immediatly, all of the time gone once I moved away a bit. I placed a flag once, e-ed it, but it was gone when I went away a bit. Please put these on the radar, even when outside it's range.

[edit] when I joined again, everything was still there - I want a clean start. When I ate a potatoe, an "eaten potatoe" ended up on the ground, the tooltip claimed it's for "planting", but nothing ever happens when I click or press E. Some goes for an oak seed I got somewhere. When I returned, cutting down trees was bugged. I can E a tree once and get a branch, then the tooltip insists I could press E again to cut it down, but nothing happened. I had one sharp stone of which the tooltip claimed it was to "cut"
« Last Edit: August 14, 2020, 02:48:09 AM by Schrompf » Logged

Snake World, multiplayer worm eats stuff and grows DevLog
Morterra
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2020, 03:52:53 PM »

Just an observation, but you probably want to amend your first post with some of the 3D screenshots near the top (one can scroll half way down this thread and see only 2D pictures of a game that has 3D in the thread title Tongue )

EDIT:
Hah, the pictures don't even do it justice - I had a go and this actually looks quite fun - I drank a whole pond :D!
Also I think maybe having a more intuitive interface with prompts may help as I skipped the tutorial then couldn't work out any of the controls (assuming they'd be something fairly standardized).

Thank you for the feedback! I added a nice 3D image to the top of the post so people can get a sneak-peek of the development progress!
Also, we agree and want to create an improved tutorial interface at some point in the future. For now, it is rather helpful for most players (at least those who don't skip it Wink). In terms of controls being unintuitive or non-standardized, I disagree. WASD & arrow keys for movement and mouse for direction is standard for first-person keyboard/mouse games, or at least every one that I've ever played. We do plan on adding custom keybinds at some point, so maybe that will help you. Please let me know specifically what else we can do to improve in this area!

Works already nicely. I want to ramp up the mouse sensitivity. Occasionally I had a bug where the craft menu didn't show the required resources on mouse-over. Also, the bench needs a "large log" or something and I only got a medium one from somewhere. The inventory limitation at first is very annoying. I ran around and collected stuff, and I needed 10 minutes or so to realize that all of that was in vain. Hm. Stuff dropped at the ground was sometimes uncollectible immediatly, all of the time gone once I moved away a bit. I placed a flag once, e-ed it, but it was gone when I went away a bit. Please put these on the radar, even when outside it's range.

[edit] when I joined again, everything was still there - I want a clean start. When I ate a potatoe, an "eaten potatoe" ended up on the ground, the tooltip claimed it's for "planting", but nothing ever happens when I click or press E. Some goes for an oak seed I got somewhere. When I returned, cutting down trees was bugged. I can E a tree once and get a branch, then the tooltip insists I could press E again to cut it down, but nothing happened. I had one sharp stone of which the tooltip claimed it was to "cut"

Thank you for checking it out and your in depth feedback!
There is a setting for mouse sensitivity: TAB -> Settings -> Mouse Sensitivity
Could you describe the crafting description bug in more depth? I haven't heard of that yet.
Yes workbenches require large logs, you can get them from large trees which you can hover to be sure they're large.
Inventory management is very annoying at first, luckily you can craft a backpack to solve this problem! We did recently add a warning message when you try to grab an item but your inventory is too full, hope this helps!
If you hold the 'm' or 'g' key, a world map will appear and your claimed zones will appear as a bright green.
You can register a new account to start fresh, or have your original player die and it will start you over!
Seeds will naturally grow if left on the ground. In the future you will be able to physically plant them, but for now the environment is purely self sustaining.
And you need to scroll over to the sharp rock in order to chop a tree with it. Only one item can be your active tool/weapon at a time.

Hope this helps! Thanks again for trying out Morterra!
Morterra
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2020, 06:13:18 PM »

The latest update is now live!

Here's what's new:
- Character customization: gender, skin color, hair style/color, and beard styles now available!
- Friends & Ignore list
- Chat censoring (enable/disable in settings)
- Fixed account recovery
- Improved day/night cycle (days now twice as long as night, and sunlight now fades on transition)
- Decreased player reach distance to deter the wall lag glitch (we have a permanent solution in the works!)
- Added crossbows to the anvil menu
- Improved the Highscores page
- Improved the About Us page
- Updated animal models

Enjoy!

Play Now: https://morterra.com
Morterra
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2021, 03:05:33 AM »

We just pushed the update with the following changes:

- Sleeping Bag respawn timer: 30 seconds
- Added PvP Rating (same as Chess Elo ratings)
- New highscores categories: PvP rating, time as king, boulders mined, fish caught, animals killed, trees cut, explosives used, objects placed
- Titles: #1 player in each highscore category get a title before their name in chat: King, Survivor, Killer, Rating, Emperor, Miner, Lumberjack, Fisher, Hunter, Raider, Builder - King (longest time wearing crown) now always shows zone on global map (crown icon)
- Mobile integration - please report any bugs!
- Automatic fullscreen (can be disabled in settings)
- Improved settings page w/ tabs and extra options
- Toggle fog setting added
- Terrain shading added
- Improved first person view (can now see held weapon + shield)
- Diamond perk no long applies when tool raiding (tools will break)
- Tool raiding now sped up significantly
- Fixed a bug where you could attack/loot through walls/doors
- Backpacks no longer break during PvP
- Fixed craft menu and examine menu sizing
- Armor received a significant buff

Check it out now: Morterra - 3D Mobile Browser Survival Game
Morterra
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2021, 02:06:56 AM »

The update is live!

Here's what's new:
- Upgraded server for World 1
- Added World 2 (US East)
- Jumping (you can't jump onto objects, but you can jump around in PvP)
- Arrow drop & headshots: 2x damage
- Bandages: +20 health
- ELO/PvP Rating Fixed: Now most players will stay between 500-2000 rating
- FOV Settings: You can now change your field of view
- Fixed tools degrading with diamond perk
- Removed player overhead name tags
- Tweaked sulfur and gem mining rates
- Added primitive support for XBOX/PS controllers (still needs a ton of work, especially on the inventory screen)

Future Update Plans:
- Farming
- Bears
- Optimizations for low-end devices to play at 60 FPS
- Full controller support
- VR support
- Sneaking
- Blocking
- Bounty board & coins

Play now: Morterra - Free Browser Sandbox Multiplayer Game
Morterra
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2021, 03:36:11 AM »

Update! 
- Optimized graphics ~50% FPS improvement 
- Added grass (enable in settings)
- Added particle effects (enable in settings)
- Fixed falling through the ground bug
- Fixed placing objects through walls
- Fixed map edge click detection bug
- Fixed glitching through walls bug
- Fixed animal SFX bugs

Play now: Morterra - Free Browser Survival Game
Morterra
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2021, 07:06:33 PM »

Update! 
Bears
+ New bear items: Bear headdress, sleeping bag (50% respawn timer), backpack, quiver, bear meat
- Re-spawn every ~4 hours
- Non-aggressive (unless you attack them, then they are devastatingly lethal)
- Bears cannot be tamed (by non-admins)

Farming 
+ New farming items:
- Large pots for trees & bushes
- Small pots for plants
- Bamboo + blowpipes
- Nightshade + poison + poisoned quivers & spears: drains player fatigue
- Coffee raw & cooked: replenishes fatigue
- Drinking a canteen of milk cures poisoned players
- Fatigue returns: higher karma = higher refresh rate
- Lime fertilizes growing plants (+100 durability)
- Animal dung is gathered by feeding animals tree fruit
- Dropped seeds no longer grow new plants
- New high scores table & title added for farming + bear hunting

Play Now: Morterra - Free Browser Multiplayer Survival Game
Morterra
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2022, 06:50:55 PM »

We created a new logo and will be updating our home page soon!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic