Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 01:49:07 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesThe Spirit of Independent Gaming
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]
Print
Author Topic: The Spirit of Independent Gaming  (Read 61421 times)
nihilocrat
Level 10

Full of stars.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #180 on: February 19, 2009, 06:30:24 PM »

If you want the big bucks, video games in general are a pretty crappy industry to work in, unless you manage to make a hit title. I would suggest you go into the Silicon Valley startup culture of making websites about throwing sheep at each other and selling off the company for $1M+ in the pocket. Bonus points if it has a flakey or non-existent business model but still manages to make headlines. At least games are pretty straightforward.... make something fun and valuable, then kindly ask people to pay for it.

What's with the Snood hatin'? I gotta tell Dave about it Tongue

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #181 on: February 19, 2009, 06:32:38 PM »

Nobody wants big bucks, most indies just want enough to live on. I'd be happy with 15k$ a year to live on instead of the 5k$ a year I'm currently making through them Smiley

gunswordfist
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #182 on: February 19, 2009, 08:39:25 PM »

Nobody wants big bucks, most indies just want enough to live on. I'd be happy with 15k$ a year to live on instead of the 5k$ a year I'm currently making through them Smiley
Completely agreed.

Indie games I have purchased:
Spelunky
Shoot 1UP
Tom Sennett
Level 3

Indie Game Legend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #183 on: February 21, 2009, 07:39:09 PM »

F that, I want big bucks

gunswordfist
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #184 on: February 22, 2009, 11:43:10 AM »

F that, I want big bucks
WHAMMIE!!...sorry, I had too.

Spelunky
Shoot 1UP
GregWS
Level 10

a module, repeatable in any direction and rotation

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: February 22, 2009, 02:21:55 PM »

F that, I want big bucks
Big enough to cause a...FRACAS!!! Screamy
professor dead
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: February 22, 2009, 02:44:45 PM »

F that, I want big bucks
Big enough to cause a...FRACAS!!! Screamy

an indie fracas Roll Eyes
Tom Sennett
Level 3

Indie Game Legend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #187 on: February 22, 2009, 07:44:38 PM »

Look, all I'm asking for is to be able to afford groceries, some beer, rent, a PS3, maybe a new TV or two, tuition, a phat-ass party mansion, three private jets, a professional football team, and maybe some textbooks.

That's not unreasonable, right?

Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: February 22, 2009, 07:55:51 PM »

The textbooks are definitely hard to get. I would suggest saving up for those for a while get a mansion every once in a while with the money you don't save, ya know.
GregWS
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: February 22, 2009, 10:33:04 PM »

phat-ass party mansion
Most certainly a necessity,  Gentleman
Farbs
Man
Level 10

/Farbs

View Profile WWW
« Reply #190 on: February 22, 2009, 10:44:12 PM »

Hand Money Left is the biggest reason why I haven't gone full time indie. That and my generally risk-averse nature. Also I fear that if I created my games for profit I wouldn't get to make the kinds of games I like. Then I'd be all  Hand Shake LeftAngryHand Shake Right
GregWS
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: February 22, 2009, 11:52:34 PM »

Hand Money Left is the biggest reason why I haven't gone full time indie. That and my generally risk-averse nature. Also I fear that if I created my games for profit I wouldn't get to make the kinds of games I like. Then I'd be all  Hand Shake LeftAngryHand Shake Right
That's the reason I'm still going into architecture.  It's funny though, even now when I think about 10 years from now I can't see myself just doing architecture.  I'm thinking now that if I could be a part-time architect part-time freelance designer I'd probably be happiest.  I love architecture, but I love a lot of other design-based things as well, and it would be such a shame to not explore those too.

And when it comes to games, of all mediums humanity has invented, none is more tied to architecture than games.  Both have designers and users that interact with the created spaces, and interaction doesn't exist in film, images (drawing/painting/photography), or literature.  The only huge differences are that games have digital spaces and architecture has physical spaces, and that the function of gamespaces is usually "fun" as opposed to something else.  If VR ever takes off though, those differences could become quite marginal.
professor dead
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: February 23, 2009, 07:47:22 AM »

That's the reason I'm still going into architecture.  It's funny though, even now when I think about 10 years from now I can't see myself just doing architecture.  I'm thinking now that if I could be a part-time architect part-time freelance designer I'd probably be happiest.  I love architecture, but I love a lot of other design-based things as well, and it would be such a shame to not explore those too.

And when it comes to games, of all mediums humanity has invented, none is more tied to architecture than games.  Both have designers and users that interact with the created spaces, and interaction doesn't exist in film, images (drawing/painting/photography), or literature.  The only huge differences are that games have digital spaces and architecture has physical spaces, and that the function of gamespaces is usually "fun" as opposed to something else.  If VR ever takes off though, those differences could become quite marginal.

i'd be happy as a part-time indie developer and part-time millionaire Lips Sealed
gunswordfist
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #193 on: February 23, 2009, 10:06:38 AM »

Look, all I'm asking for is to be able to afford groceries, some beer, rent, a PS3, maybe a new TV or two, tuition, a phat-ass party mansion, three private jets, a professional football team, and maybe some textbooks.

That's not unreasonable, right?
lol I thought you were going to sound reasonable until you said the phat-ass mansion. An indie career will promise you a small-ass shcack though.

Spelunky
Shoot 1UP
astrospoon
Level 4

Andy Hull

View Profile WWW
« Reply #194 on: February 24, 2009, 07:05:40 AM »

Teaming up is great!  Along with development going faster, it makes it sooooo much easier to finish.  I know so many solo designers that just keep starting new projects and never finishing them.  Either they lose interest in their idea or they get bogged down in little details.  Or feature creep!

Word of advice to anyone wanting to make games (or anything, really): at some point in the development cycle you WILL get tired of your idea and want to quit.  The ones who succeed are the ones who can plow through those tough times and get the job done.  The benefits of having a finished project outweigh an unfinished one to the point that I'd go as far as to say that a good finished game is worth more than a great unfinished game.

That first part is totally me I must admit. I started and stopped a million little projects for about 10 years. And I really think my biggest problem was working alone. It is very hard to stay focused and motivated when alone in your basement. How huge a difference it would have been to have another person striving along side me and cheering me on.

It wasn't until I left my (extremely well paying) job 6 months ago to force myself to focus and make something that I was actually able to get to the finish line... I should be releasing my first project in about a week now.

Without jumping off the scary as crap cliff that is unemployment, I don't think I would have been able to get through the many sleepless nights, doubts and personal terror that cropped up during development. It is still a struggle to make even an inch of progress, even right now at the bitter end. If you plan on making games by yourself, be prepared for a battle against yourself the likes of which you have never faced.

/puts viking helmet on head

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic