Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411469 Posts in 69368 Topics- by 58422 Members - Latest Member: daffodil_dev

April 23, 2024, 05:45:53 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesThe Spirit of Independent Gaming
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
Print
Author Topic: The Spirit of Independent Gaming  (Read 61414 times)
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2007, 03:34:44 AM »

It's basically the area between casual and hardcore.  The real "mainstream," I guess!

See! That's why we have the word "mainstream"! So that I don't have to get confused! Wink

"Core" indeed! Pshaw!

That's true but Jenova Chen uses the term "core" so you know it's got to be good! :D

Did he even invent the term?  I'm not sure.  In any case, all these gaming terms are pretty useless in the long run.
DrDerekDoctors
THE ARSEHAMMER
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2007, 04:32:17 AM »

LOL! If I ever needed a reason not to use the term... Smiley

Me, David Williamson and Mark Foster do an Indie Games podcast. Give it a listen. And then I'll send you an apology.
http://pigignorant.com/
Oddbob
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2007, 05:41:48 AM »

Oh come on, it just flows off the tongue!
caffeinekid
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2007, 06:59:53 AM »

I would be afraid of calling myself a core gamer in case shmup fans tried shooting me.

Dan MacDonald
The DMac
Level 1

Prisoner of the cause

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2007, 11:26:01 AM »

The terms core market and core gamer have been around for a long time. It refers to the primary gaming genera's  in the retail space FPS, RTS, RPG, Strategy etc. It also refers to the markets that make all the money, PC Retail games and Console games.

Mainstream is a little bit of a misnomer, it means for the most part "the prevailing group". Which kind of makes sense for the PC Retail and Console markets since they make the most money. But even those core markets are not a part of the American (for example) mainstream the way movies are. Movies are easily accessible to a wide segment of the population appealing to many different preferences and tastes.

If there was a game that really was mainstream it would have to be something like WoW that appeals to just about everyone in one way or another and just about everyone has at least herd of it. I think that's why "Core" is actually a better term then "Mainstream" because much of the core market is actually incredibly niche and appeals only to very advanced and particular subsegments of the gaming audience.
DrDerekDoctors
THE ARSEHAMMER
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2007, 12:30:52 PM »

"core" just seems unnecessary when we have "mainstream" and while it might not be the right word, people use the language incorrectly all the time because the incorrect way is more widely understood. Smiley

Me, David Williamson and Mark Foster do an Indie Games podcast. Give it a listen. And then I'll send you an apology.
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2007, 12:31:43 PM »

Shoot the Core!!

Kornel Kisielewicz
The Black Knight
Level 1

Madman for hire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2007, 01:40:55 PM »

The term Independent seems rather already defined, meaning "not tagged to a restrictive Publisher/Distributor". You do work, and you try to sell it, and not the other way around ;]. I actually searched for a more formal definition. This is the closest I got:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indie_game

(there's no TIGSource link, the shame for them!)

In the course of my Game Programming/Design adventures, I actually coined another definition of the term "Indie". For me, the "independence" is not from publishers/distributors, but independence from money. This of course is almost unreal if you consider doing any game that needs more artistic resources. But it does describe my definition of "independence". The freedom to create what I envision, not worrying about wether anyone will buy it, anyone will be interested in publishing in, or anyone will be willing to provide me with resources for it.

Is such independence possible at all for larger than one-man projects?

Hopefully not. I hope to find the answer to that "the hard way" ;-].

P.S. Hello all, I'm new here, but I'm glad to lurk Smiley.

At your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz (@epyoncf)
ChaosForge -- DoomRL and AliensRL
Jupiter Hell -- DoomRL spiritual successor!
Dan MacDonald
The DMac
Level 1

Prisoner of the cause

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2007, 03:22:00 PM »

"core" just seems unnecessary when we have "mainstream" and while it might not be the right word, people use the language incorrectly all the time because the incorrect way is more widely understood. Smiley

It probably is unnecessary, but it does exist. If you got to GDC (or other less independent circles) you'll hear the terms used interchangeably.
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2007, 03:26:12 PM »

I thought "Core" was used when looking at it as a spread from "Casual" to "Hardcore"... where "Casual" means games for grandma, and "Hardcore" is the 15 year old "OMGGUNSBOOBS!!" crowd. I was always under the impression that the "Hardcore" end was more "Mainstream"... i.e. the games that actually make lots of money.

Arne
The Pantymaster
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2007, 03:52:07 PM »

I thought "Core" was a tight group of people at the center of something. Condensed? Might it mean genre? I dunno, I've heard so many definitions.

Independent to me means... boundless. Not having to cater other people (publishers and what they think the mainstream audience want). I guess the indie spirit would be... fearless and daring (which doesn't necessarily equal innovation, it can be revival of old "considered dead" concepts aswell).
DrDerekDoctors
THE ARSEHAMMER
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2007, 04:16:21 PM »

It probably is unnecessary, but it does exist. If you got to GDC (or other less independent circles) you'll hear the terms used interchangeably.

Just one of the *many* reasons that I don't go to the GDC. Wink

Anthony Flack
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2007, 04:52:06 PM »

For me, the "independence" is not from publishers/distributors, but independence from money.
The funny thing is, it seems from all the interviews I've read, the head honcho of Treasure almost runs his company this way.

Why did you support the N64 much more than the Playstation? Because our team wanted to make games for the N64 and didn't fancy the PS so much. Why do you hardly ever make sequels? Because we only make them when the team that made the original game feels like making a sequel. And so on.

Whenever they need some more money they can always do another contract job. Perhaps McDonald's Treasure Land Adventure II...?

Currently in development: Cletus Clay
MattC
Level 0

TIGSourcerer

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2007, 05:41:30 PM »

To me, "mainstream" gamers are all of those people who, if asked if they were a gamer, would say no. They play Madden or other annual sports games. They might play the Sims, Nintendogs, and the ubiquitous licensed title. They don't keep up with the "scene." They walked into Best Buy on November 17th to get a PS3 without even knowing the price.

If we're going to use the term "core" I'd say it refers to everyone who considers themselves a "gamer."

"Hardcore" is easy enough to define, but I also think that many "casual" players are quite hardcore too. Just because they play puzzle games or mini golf doesn't mean they're not at it over eight hours a day like some hardcore folks. I think the way that the phrase "casual gamer" is being marketed today is inaccurate in that it's used as a catch-all for the "casual," "core," "dormant," and even the "non-gamer" crowd. (Is "non-gamer" supposed to have quotes? It's all marketing garbage anyway.)

So, honestly, I'd rather do away with all of these lame categories. It's just as useless as attempting to get a solid set of game "genres." But I suppose it can be important in the way you market your game and who you want to "market" to. Which is unfortunate.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2007, 06:44:40 PM »

Are we on the verge of our first forum split? Tongue
"Core" or "Mainstream"?CHOOSE YOUR SIDE!

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2007, 06:47:17 PM »

I think we're all agreeing that we don't give a fuck about what those words mean.

vitaminNewB
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2007, 07:14:27 PM »

2nd, 3rd, infinity-ith that.
And the FORUM sayssssss.

AMEN SISTAzz!@!$%!@$!@#$
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2007, 08:11:08 PM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indie_game

(there's no TIGSource link, the shame for them!)

Someone add one!

Tim's blog's up there, though, so that's good.

For me, the "independence" is not from publishers/distributors, but independence from money.

Is anything independent from money anymore?  I think it's more about not letting it own you.

I think we're all agreeing that we don't give a fuck about what those words mean.

Yes, exactly.  Smiley
« Last Edit: February 17, 2007, 08:15:03 PM by BMcC » Logged

Dan MacDonald
The DMac
Level 1

Prisoner of the cause

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2007, 08:27:12 PM »

So to bring it full circle, the spirit of independent gaming (whatever you want to call it) is this.

Instead of looking for a way to make money and then designing a game that will capitalize on it, you look for a good game you can make and then try to make money from it.

Is it more then this? or is it really that simple?
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2007, 08:30:41 PM »

I think it may be that simple.

(Oh please, Kenta Cho, let it be that simple!)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic