Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411273 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 03:17:57 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsIdea pool for new TIGS competitions
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 65
Print
Author Topic: Idea pool for new TIGS competitions  (Read 290101 times)
Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

alright, let's see what we can see

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 06, 2007, 04:22:53 PM »

Oh can we pleaaasee have a short IF compo? I just got back from the future and we totally had some amazing entries. Wait... I guess that means that we WILL have one, so... what's the date?

http://polycode.org/ - Free, cross-platform, open-source engine.
Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: December 06, 2007, 05:18:47 PM »

(Meant to post this ages ago after playing Dirty America, but I only just remembered it  Embarrassed )

An indie game parody contest might be fun!

skaldicpoet9
Level 10

"The length of my life was fated long ago "

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 06, 2007, 11:04:08 PM »

Can we please have at least one compo where it is just complete free form? The only catch is: we have to code wasted :D

Seriously though, I would be down with a text adventure compo.

The thought of that kind of makes me want to play A Poisoned Mind lol...

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
Seth
« Reply #103 on: December 08, 2007, 05:55:54 AM »

Are there any way to easily create an IF game?  It seems like it should be really simple, and I'd like to write one, but I can't code, soo....
Zaphos
« Reply #104 on: December 08, 2007, 06:12:04 AM »

Are there any way to easily create an IF game?  It seems like it should be really simple, and I'd like to write one, but I can't code, soo....

See above, which is now pasted below:
Now I am just wondering if there's any "easy" way to make your own text adventures. Coding all that stuff in Pascal would seem less than appealing to me.

There's Inform Smiley
Pacian
Text Heavy
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: December 09, 2007, 05:48:41 PM »

The entire IF community is competition crazy.  About a quarter of the IFWiki front page is taken up with competition news and there's a category for it here.  Also when an IF author farts it sounds like this: crrrmprrtrrrshrrrn.

As Terry mentioned, Inform 7 seems to have wide appeal to non-coding types.  On the other hand, people who know a little coding may (like me) find the idea of a natural language IDE thingy to be a bit intimidating.  If you know C++ or Java, TADS is your friend.  TADS2 is quite simple to use, I think, while TADS3 is a little scarier but has an enormous amount of out-of-the-box potential.  The following TADS3 code snippet creates a room with a cage containing a fairy and an exit to the north:

Code:
secretroom: Room 'Hidden Room'
  "A small, windowless room with bare white walls. "
  north = readingroom
;

//the first list of words are words the player might use to refer to this object
//the second is the phrase the game will (typically) use to refer to it
+cage: OpenableContainer 'delicate wire bird cage' 'bird cage'
  "A small bird cage of delicate wire. "
  //we can see, hear and smell inside the cage, but not touch anything
  material = fineMesh
  //this is the description that appears when we look around, unless we move the cage
  initSpecialDesc = "A small bird cage hangs from the ceiling. "
;

++fairy: Actor 'little tiny winged naked fairy/pixie/woman' 'fairy'
  "A tiny naked woman with a pair of transparent, rainbow-tinted wings. 
  <p>She doesn't seem to be especially bright, but then her brain can't be any larger than a pea. "
  isHer = true
;

+++ignoringState: HermitActorState
  //her description in the room
  specialDesc()
  {
     if(fairy.location==cage)
        "The cage seems to contain, of all things, a fairy. ";
     else
        "A fairy is hovering in the air here. ";
  }
  //this state is her starting state
  isInitState = true
  //it's a hermit state, so she won't talk to you
  noResponse()
  {
     if(fairy.location==cage)
        "The fairy just stares at you gloomily from between the bars of the cage. ";
     else if(fairy.location==me)
        "The fairy just squirms in your grip. ";
     else
        "The fairy swoops through the air, ignoring you. ";
  }
;

The cage behaves as you would expect, and the fairy responds to any attempt at conversation by staring at you gloomily, poor thing.  I, personally, don't find this code to be especially difficult to understand (compared to, say, your average Allegro game), but I guess mileage will vary.

Worse than the coding is the testing.  This was just supposed to be a short little snippet, but then I realised that I had to change portions of the text depending on whether the fairy was in the cage or in your inventory or whatever.  It's polishing these damn things that takes 90% of your time and effort.  And if you don't polish it, then the bare bones won't work either.

The IF Community has still seen a lot of popular short competitions, though, and I'd like to think that TIGS could at least give them a run for their money in terms of bravura, spunk and giant nudity.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2007, 05:52:20 PM by Pacian » Logged

(\ /)
(O.o) - Achtung, baby!
(> <)
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: December 10, 2007, 03:43:53 PM »

What can I say?  I was feelin' it. Tongue

http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=824.0
Zaphos
« Reply #107 on: December 15, 2007, 02:54:36 PM »

From the comments on Off-Road Velociraptor Safari ... there needs to be a compo based around the Video Game Name Generator!

Example games names from the Name Generator:
  • Mysterious Cowboy Panic
  • Depressing Sunshine Party
  • Cosmic Wizard of Love
  • True Crime: Octopus Deluxe
  • Cool Surgery Solid
  • Hitler's Typing Operatives
  • Planet of the Stapler Mission
  • Go Go Chess Epidemic
  • Manic Ice Cream Rocket
  • Lair of the Wagon Uprising
  • Mr. Car Conquest

Seth
« Reply #108 on: December 15, 2007, 03:20:19 PM »

seconded
george
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 15, 2007, 03:26:44 PM »

... there needs to be a compo based around the Video Game Name Generator!

I am so into that.

• In Search of the Mech Dreamland
  • Helicopter Fantasy in Toyland
  • Fancy Badminton Omega
Chris Whitman
Sepia Toned
Level 10

A master of karate and friendship for everyone.

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 15, 2007, 06:28:57 PM »

I would enjoy a competition where everyone was assigned a randomly generated name.

Formerly "I Like Cake."
Jolli
« Reply #111 on: December 16, 2007, 04:08:37 AM »

I'd like it too
team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: December 16, 2007, 11:38:45 AM »

I would enjoy this as well.

"Jack Thompson's Bong Rampage "
Wtf? hahahaha

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: December 16, 2007, 12:04:52 PM »

A Boy and His Karate Conspiracy

That's the one I would make, right there.

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: December 16, 2007, 12:15:13 PM »

It's a cool idea, but it's been done before. Check out Apathetic Spatula in Crazyland!

Zaphos
« Reply #115 on: December 16, 2007, 02:35:28 PM »

It's a cool idea, but it's been done before. Check out Apathetic Spatula in Crazyland!

Was that made for a competition, or is it just based on the name generator?  The forum link for it no longer works ...
Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: December 16, 2007, 02:49:43 PM »

I remember reading at the time that it was for a contest over at something awful based on this very theme.

(Damn SA archiving  Angry )

Chris Whitman
Sepia Toned
Level 10

A master of karate and friendship for everyone.

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 16, 2007, 03:19:02 PM »

To my surprise, it looks like a lot of game companies have been using this tool for inspiration. A bit of digging on the internet turned up the following games (I've included accompanying quotes from the company web sites):

Wrath of the Punching Academy
The year is 20XX. Dirk Daxler, professor of applied punching at Neo America's most prestigious Punching Academy, is on tour to promote his new book "The Punching of the Heart: One Man's Struggle Against a Punchist Society," when a government mandate is approved which outlaws punching. Now Daxler must punch his way into the highest levels of government, eventually facing off against the Emperor of Neo America himself in a brutal punch out, to protect his culture and the woman he loves (well, loves to punch, anyway).

Ye Olde Forklift Symphony
A new rhythm game featuring the most difficult of all orchestral instruments: the forklift! Since only one piece has ever been scored for the forklift, written by John Cage in a drunken fit of rage in 1955, you must play this piece over and over again to achieve mastery. Note: the forklift peripheral costs three hundred thousand dollars and will not fit through the door of your house.

Escape from the Makeover Kid
In 1879, the family values of the American West were under attack from a new enemy: the Makeover Kid. Since he recognized no law and no morality, the authorities were powerless to stop the Kid's brutal campaign of amoral homosexual recruitment. Almost overnight, hundreds of folksy, small towns were replaced by threatening gay clubs which rejected wholesale the idea of a divine creator.

In this new game from Conservasoft, players assume the role of Judd O'Hannerty, a pious and respectful Irish settler who must make his escape to the god-fearing Midwest from a society where nothing is prohibited... except for not being gay!

Experience the terror of a world gone mad!
Fight for justice amidst the total breakdown of the family unit.
Be uncomfortable when faced with people who are different from you!

Escape... From the Makeover Kid!

Kosher Lego Fever
Q. Why 'kosher' lego?
A. I think this one goes without saying. Ever since rising crude costs pushed Hasbro into using polymerized pigs' blood as a main manufacturing ingredient in their popular 'Lego' product, the Jewish Anti-defamation League has been looking for a way to bring the fun of Lego to orthodox Jewish children, so they can enjoy the same quality of entertainment as Christian children. We don't think this is unreasonable.

Q. Would this make a good Christmas present for my Jewish friend?
A. For the last time, we do not celebrate Christmas.

Q. Why did you kill our savior?
A. WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE!?

Arcane Booty Syndicate
Since certified genius Stephen Wolfram's advanced cultural heuristic based on cellular automata (Journal of Highly Suspect Computing, p. 98) revealed the next overarching cultural trend as Wiccan Gangsta Rap, marketing departments and think-tanks world wide have faced tremendous difficulties attempting to integrate a culture which venerates women as representatives of the prime generative force with a cultural which denigrates women as materialistic whores.

That is, until we here at the Center for Cultural De-enrichment realized that our society's women's-magazine post-feminism makes exploitation even more empowering than empowerment (Cosmo Magazine, pp. every page)!

In Arcane Booty Syndicate, you play Casper "C-Nazz" Jackson, head of the Arcane Booty Syndicate, a group dedicated to empowering African Americans by glorifying stereotypes of poverty and violence to white, middle class children while also empowering women by identifying their physical and sexual abuse with socially desirable status. Use magic spells learned from beating your girlfriend to fight the evil Whitey, actually a psychological stand-in for the player's father, who is keeping your people in the ghetto! Create solidarity by paying fifteen year old children to sell crack on street corners! Promote organic foods which are good for the earth and sold in wasteful plastic packaging! Believe mutually contradictory beliefs until you collapse in post-structuralist confusion and lose all cognitive faculties!

All proceeds from the game go to the "Yachts and Cocaine Fund for Rich White Men."

Unbelievable Sloth from Planet X
Apparently invading Earth requires effort. Fuck that.

Controls:

No buttons pressed: sit on couch.
A button: eat chips.

Note that pressing the A button too many times in succession may cause the player to pass out from exertion. Amazingly enough, this loss of consciousness has relatively little effect on gameplay.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2007, 03:34:23 PM by I Like Cake » Logged

Formerly "I Like Cake."
Zaphos
« Reply #118 on: December 16, 2007, 07:29:45 PM »

This is excellent, Mr. Cake :D
Massena
Level 4

Satisfied.

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 23, 2007, 12:00:08 PM »

I would enjoy a competition where everyone was assigned a randomly generated name.

Would probably result in the most hilarious games ever! I just got the name Nudist Shopping Polo! The possibilities are infinite!

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 65
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic