Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 07:08:50 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsHow to : Fail at making a game
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: How to : Fail at making a game  (Read 2501 times)
hidechron
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: July 01, 2009, 03:34:12 AM »

Here's a little walktrough on how to fail at making a complete game. That's parts of my private dev-blog.
Don't mind my bad engrish.

=== DAY 1 (Motivation day)
So i'm just gonna leave some rough idea for a simple game. Only stats on screen. To have a little idea of how will it be played, think of a really really light "Democracy" or a "Galactic Civilisation" based on evolution and development.

- Real time tactical
- 1 or 2 resources max
- tech-tree : choice between one or another direction needed. A critical problem will come at a designed time, player will have to be ready to overpass that problem.

To-do : Define the "critical problem", "designated time", technologies etc.

=== DAY 2 (good feeling day)
Simplest frame for my game with gameplay :

* 1 planet
* starting population : 3
* max population : 10
* growth rate : pop * 1,5 / year
* 1 year = 2sec ingame
* Tech 1 : increase max possible population (x2), 3 times max, cost 10 ,70 , 150 years.

This only consist of populating the planet. I'm starting developing with that in mind now.

=== DAY 4 (concrete day)
I finished making my first goal, but forgot to add any kind of money. using the population isn't enough to build something with any sort of challenge, so I need money in my game.

I'll keep what's done. I'll use that as the phase 1 in-game, a sort of tutorial.
So now I'm thinking of phase 2, here's my actual to-do list :
- Add money
- Researches should cost money and time.
- Research N°2 : colonize a new planet.
- Add a context help on the top.
- Adaptive game window.

Also made the adequate mockup, I like it. Look better than the first one.

Still thinking about new researches. I already have some rough idea on the look of the third phase but there is a lot to do on the game mechanism and that's a long way Wink

=== DAY 5 (sad day)
There's a lot of wrong things in the project and ideas. First making a game without a clear vision of what i'm making is really wrong. I had that vision for my first goal but now that i'm extending that, i'm nearly blind, and I'm going to nowhere except procrastinating. So the code wasn't adapted to accept new concept easily and I needed to restart from scratch to add certain new mechanisms.
Second, i realized that the web browser game ogame.org is pretty similar to what i'm doing, and I don't like that game, it's a lot more time consuming than it deserve.

I learned a lot in python from these errors, i made my game code in MVC pattern, I liked how gameplay mechanism is separated from the rest, i can modify nearly everything in the gameplay code part without messing with anything non related.
Next time i'll start by designing and making the bones of my games first and edit some part after.
Other things : Mockups are a great thing to do, it help to have a clear view on what you're doing.
Also don't get let down by any kind of failure there's always something to be learned.

Words for people wanting to make their first game : Doing really simple -game- like the one on the first mockup is totally the best idea you can have.
Work on maximum 3 mechanism and finish them.  After it's finished, move on and make another concept.

And that's it, I think.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 04:21:43 AM by hidechron » Logged
Nessiah
Level 1

Today is a gift that's why it's called the present

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2009, 03:47:02 AM »

A professional game maker told me that that's why they have game design documents C:
He showed me this site too: http://www.sloperama.com/

I admit, making that Game Design Document is hard since you have to interact with the reader and at the same time explain the rules of gameplay clearly. It made me think of the other gameplay elements I had in mind too T_T;

There's also this one: http://www.flipcode.com/archives/Strayfire_Writing_A_Simple_Game.shtml

What he said that, once you finished 90% of the game, you have to finish the other 90%
Haha

Lynx
Level 5

Upstart Feline Miscreant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2009, 01:50:27 PM »

There's also an Ugly Duckling stage that all creative projects go through, when you see all the mistakes you've made, but because it's not done/polished, you don't also see how great it could be.

Currently developing dot sneak - a minimalist stealth game
Loren Schmidt
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2009, 01:03:01 AM »

once you finished 90% of the game, you have to finish the other 90%

Ha, so that's why I'm always convinced I'm 'almost done!'
Nitro Crate
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2009, 05:06:34 PM »

once you finished 90% of the game, you have to finish the other 90%

Ha, so that's why I'm always convinced I'm 'almost done!'
:D this is an amazing quote
skyy
Level 2

[ SkyWhy ]

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2009, 11:48:12 PM »

Wrapping up a game project is one of the hardest things to do, you just have to tie the loose ends and if you have a deadline breathing down on your neck that's when it gets fun. Sometimes you must resort into absolutely dead stupid hacks to get things done and hope you have the time to fix them later (which you never will Giggle)...

godsavant
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2009, 03:55:53 PM »

Shouldn't this be in the Totoreal section?
Havok
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2009, 03:44:18 PM »

Shouldn't this be in the Totoreal section?

We're not in Kansas anymore.

I love audio: Engineering, Sound Design, Composition
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic