Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411414 Posts in 69360 Topics- by 58415 Members - Latest Member: sophi_26

April 16, 2024, 11:46:25 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSpellbent [New Pixel Art Vlog] | ARPG + Farming Sim
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Spellbent [New Pixel Art Vlog] | ARPG + Farming Sim  (Read 9276 times)
low key sirius
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: May 04, 2020, 11:32:12 AM »

Spellbent is an ARPG/farming sim/bullet hell genre blend set in a world of colliding dimensions. A gooey substance is leaking into our world, causing biological changes to the world all around, and pockets of space are opening into this other dimension, called The Underway.

You start off as a shopkeeper's assistant at Spellbent, a shop that harvests the magical Gu to create potions and items for sale. Your goal is to rebuild the ruined town called The Crossroads, and bring civilization back to what was once an ancient market city. Delve into the Underway, craft and sell items, learn recipes for potions and spells, and become friends and enemies with NPCs.

We've been working on this game since 2019, when we were calling it "Wizardcraft." We did a complete re-haul of the visuals, game design, and gameplay, and are building our new MVP right now.

Start the Video Devlog Series

Latest Video Devlog

Panda Spellbent Bestiary Panda

______________________________________________________________________________________

Toast Left Spellbent Herbarium Toast Right

______________________________________________________________________________________

Wizard Spellbent Arcanum Wizard

« Last Edit: January 11, 2022, 09:33:14 AM by low key sirius » Logged

low key sirius
Spellbent Devlog
BENI.MARU
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2020, 12:21:21 PM »

The concept seems really fun!  Best of luck Smiley

What engine is this being developed on btw?

Audiomancer
PortfolioTwitter
Projects:
ZealotTwo Strikes
low key sirius
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2020, 12:53:57 PM »

Thank you!  Smiley

We are using Unity for development and Aseprite for art.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 06:34:41 AM by Monsters&Co. » Logged

low key sirius
Spellbent Devlog
RealScaniX
Level 6

Scanix (ignore the "Real", Scanix was taken)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2020, 03:05:57 AM »

This looks really nice. I like the main character and his animation.

low key sirius
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2020, 11:19:33 AM »

Thank you! This is the demo art that we will be updating as we develop, and the player will have the ability to customize their character at the beginning of the game. Smiley
« Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 11:30:20 AM by Monsters&Co. » Logged

low key sirius
Spellbent Devlog
low key sirius
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2020, 10:38:55 AM »

It’s time for Working Wednesday! Every Wednesday, we plan to post something that we’re either currently working on or have just finished. This week we want you to see the initial staging of our aviary tower entrance. There’s not a lot in it now, but more assets are being created to give this area the feeling of being a bird-powered postal service.

The aviary tower is the place where the player can send messages outside the castle and order marketeering goods or banned ingredients they might need. Or maybe just to send a message home.

It’ll be fun to look back on this post when the room is fully designed and staged with lighting!

low key sirius
Spellbent Devlog
low key sirius
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2020, 12:26:29 PM »

Screenshot Saturday!

This week, we’ve been working on the design for the Lion House Commons.

The house commons will be the hub of activity, where you’ll be able to interact with other witches and wizards. You can sell your goods, buy items from other students, start quests for peers that need your help, and even study your magical abilities. Or, you know, just sit by the fire and read a nice, big tome on magical plants and potions.
We’re still working on lighting and shadows, and filling out the room to make it feel more lived-in. What would you want to do here? And how would you make it your home?

low key sirius
Spellbent Devlog
low key sirius
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2020, 10:11:58 AM »

Monster Monday!

This week, we want to introduce the Soul Eater.

The Soul Eater is a dark creature that lurks in the shadows and drains the room of everything but misery. If you don’t defeat it quickly enough, it may even eat your soul. Young witches and wizards should avoid this creature at all costs.

We’re working on building out its attack and movement, but for now we have a simple stasis animation loop. We can’t wait to see how this creepy creature fits into the game!

low key sirius
Spellbent Devlog
ODINKONG
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2020, 10:58:26 AM »

OOOOOOooooo I like the soul eater, I'm also a fan of the soft lighting in unity.

Raven's Path By Evil Villian Games
Dev Log : https://forums.tigsource.com/inde
low key sirius
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2020, 02:00:52 PM »

OOOOOOooooo I like the soul eater, I'm also a fan of the soft lighting in unity.

Thank you so much! We have been working hard on getting the lighting to where we want it. Smiley

low key sirius
Spellbent Devlog
low key sirius
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2020, 11:32:49 AM »

We just figured out the watering mechanics for growing plants inside the player’s secret trunk. You’ll be able to grow basically whatever you want in here—as long as you can find the seeds.

Growing plants for potion ingredients, or just to sell, can be a big part of your black marketeering empire. We’re working on building out an entire world flora that you can grow in the secrecy of your dormitory. These plant sprites are VERY basic right now, but we’re going to work on making some beautiful forestry. Smiley

« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 01:38:16 PM by Monsters&Co. » Logged

low key sirius
Spellbent Devlog
low key sirius
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2020, 11:38:31 AM »

Working Wednesday!

This week we have been working on our light spell effect--Like how bright the light is, and how large the radius is. What do you think?

low key sirius
Spellbent Devlog
low key sirius
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2020, 03:15:00 PM »

Screenshot Saturday!

We are still working on our lighting, and making some great progress.
We are loving this new spell effect!

low key sirius
Spellbent Devlog
low key sirius
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2020, 12:48:46 PM »

Working Wednesday!

After several weeks of hard work, we are ready to test our pre-alpha demo! Our trusted testers will be playing through it over the next week and we are excited to get feedback from them about what we can improve.

low key sirius
Spellbent Devlog
Ashedragon
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2020, 07:29:46 PM »

Well that's an unexpected premise.  I like the idea of it; looking forward to seeing how it is executed.

And hey, if you need any music for it, drop me a line.

low key sirius
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2020, 09:05:45 AM »

Well that's an unexpected premise.  I like the idea of it; looking forward to seeing how it is executed.

And hey, if you need any music for it, drop me a line.
Thanks so much for your interest! We are developing the soundtrack for this game in house, but we are really flattered that you want to create music with us.

low key sirius
Spellbent Devlog
low key sirius
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2020, 01:56:02 PM »

Screenshot Saturday!

This is our demo NPC asking the player to help her get a potion so she doesn't fail her exam, which she will pay three Quillings for! (What's a Quilling, you ask? Stay tuned for information on that in upcoming posts. Wink) We are looking forward to creating more quests and NPCs as development goes on.

« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 12:04:57 PM by Monsters&Co. » Logged

low key sirius
Spellbent Devlog
Ashedragon
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2020, 08:26:20 PM »

I know it's still veeery wip, but I just wanted to let you know that the font there is really hard to read with how much text is there and how close it all is together. The black on white isn't doing it any favours either.

low key sirius
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2020, 02:59:19 PM »

I know it's still veeery wip, but I just wanted to let you know that the font there is really hard to read with how much text is there and how close it all is together. The black on white isn't doing it any favours either.

Thanks for your insight. We are still in the very early stages and our font and type settings haven't been fully designed, yet. We'll be paying attention to the small details as we move forward!

low key sirius
Spellbent Devlog
low key sirius
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2020, 09:59:14 AM »

Monster Monday!

Meet the shapeshifter. When you first face this creature, it will turn into the beast that you’re most afraid to attack (this is based on a number of actions you make early in the game). The transformation into the soul eater is about half-way done and we are working on creating the transitions into the other monsters in our compendium.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2021, 09:26:44 AM by low key sirius » Logged

low key sirius
Spellbent Devlog
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic