Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411476 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58424 Members - Latest Member: FlyingFreeStudios

April 23, 2024, 04:47:00 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsRTG - The Ray-Traced Game (Puzzle / Platformer)
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 16
Print
Author Topic: RTG - The Ray-Traced Game (Puzzle / Platformer)  (Read 35989 times)
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: May 11, 2021, 12:25:10 AM »

Looking good! Wondering about that mysterious wall of green lights now… Blink

vdapps
Level 5

Head against wall since 2013

View Profile WWW
« Reply #141 on: May 11, 2021, 06:37:08 AM »

Thank you all!

@JobLeonard: true, really it looks more like lantern, but as setup is more like sci-fi, so it's just artificial light. Smiley

@Ramos: indeed, you described its intended use, when you have also boxes in a level. You have to drop light on ground and to "strategic place" so you can see e.g. on moving platforms, which you have to pass with box in hands. Unfortunately, no god-rays in plan.

@Ramos, @Prinsessa: I'm happy that the wall caught your eyes, as I was on verge, just to remove that level. But than I decided to keep it for story. I'm in generally playing with idea of put there some intermediate levels where will be almost no puzzling, but just some fancy RT effects and tie it with story movement.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: May 11, 2021, 06:49:48 AM »

Ohh, that sounds exciting

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 11, 2021, 06:53:33 AM »

Are you planning to have these non-puzzle levels evolve as the story progresses? That could be nice, to see the world come alive as you solve more puzzles. Like having a kind of hub to come back to for example
vdapps
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #144 on: May 11, 2021, 07:05:53 AM »

@JobLeonard: That's interesting proposition, so I'll keep in mind. Maybe some level re-visit with later changes to level is possible and story-compatible.

My idea with those 'story levels' was to join 3 things. 1. let player have a bit a break from puzzling 2. introduce some major story movement / revelation (again told just through terminal) 3. showcase more RT FX there.

Problem for me was, I didn't want to place deliberately lot of reflections or various colored moving lights, etc.. into puzzle levels just to show RT, when focus has to be on puzzle / gameplay. So generally, in gameplay levels, those FX are more subtle. However, in such "have a break for a story" levels, I can use  opportunity and also showcase the engine more. Smiley

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: May 11, 2021, 07:11:12 AM »

Well, then a "break room" where you can look at collected trophies (that show off RT FX) that you got for solving puzzles can fix both issues at once, no?
vdapps
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #146 on: May 11, 2021, 08:18:35 AM »

Not necessarily as I'll probably will want to move a story without being restricted by fact that I must returned to same re-used room with more 'trophies' - as you call it - unlocked. It puts some new restriction to me, but I want to keep it more free, so I'll be able to adapt those rooms to story better, without being restricted by such rule. However, where suitable, I can re-use room as you suggested, it depends when I'll be relating specifically 'points in story' with 'special levels'.

diegzumillo
Level 10

This avatar is so old I still have a some hair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #147 on: May 11, 2021, 04:28:46 PM »

This is so cool!

I was watching a video of that RTX minecraft thing, and they made a mirror just by altering material properties. But I have not seen anyone try a camera obscura thing. That is, have a tiny hole that basically maps all light sources of one side on a wall. This being 2D won't have the same effect of a camera, it will be a 1D image, but maybe it can be of use!

vdapps
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #148 on: September 15, 2021, 09:03:12 AM »

Hi Everyone!

just updating my thread to announce that RTG is not RIP, even if I had "development crisis" (from May to August I not coded even one line). Cry

I'm back on RTG development from mid-August. Meanwhile I added 5 new levels and one completely new game mechanics (charged light shooter). This new mechanics, aside from opening more puzzle possibilities, is also nice for showcasing ray-tracing FX, as naturally, this charged light "bullet" is fully dynamically illuminating environment and casting shadows while flying around level.

More at next devlog, albeit, I'll probably write devlogs less frequently than before, as I'd like to focus more on development in this stage, when there's still a LOT to do on game.

Cheers. Smiley

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: September 15, 2021, 09:20:50 AM »

I'll just say what I always say: I've been lurking here on these threads since before Spelunky Classic existed (so 2008, 2009ish?) and I've never had any devlog nor made any games (outside of the occasional Ludum Dare or Game Jam collab) so don't feel bad Cheesy
assemblerbot
Level 0

Game dev in Unity / C# / LUA / whatever :-D

View Profile WWW
« Reply #150 on: September 15, 2021, 10:15:57 PM »

It's nice to hear that RTG development continues. I had similar crisis too  Cheesy so I fully understand (..that reminds me of my blog..). Anyway, I'm looking forward to see these new levels Wink

Rogod
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #151 on: September 16, 2021, 02:14:41 AM »

In the same boat with Startron too Tongue

(I ended up acquiring a girlfriend so development time has been reduced considerably Concerned )
« Last Edit: September 16, 2021, 02:25:35 AM by Rogod » Logged

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: September 16, 2021, 07:15:39 AM »

You focus on developing a healthy relationship! Cheesy
vdapps
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #153 on: September 20, 2021, 08:15:52 AM »

Thank you for your reactions!

@JobLeonard: wow Shocked for sure you experienced lot of AAA indie titles (seems like oxymoron, but it's not Smiley) which shaped up and grown here and then became successful.

@assemblerbot: thx, hopefully, soon I'll prepare some animation. I want to make at least 2 more levels before another devlog.

@Rogod: congrats to relationship! I hope it will settle-in with your development. I'm used to time constraints (I have fiancee and 3yo son), it's hard but still possible!

Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #154 on: September 20, 2021, 10:57:29 PM »

I'm back on RTG development from mid-August. Meanwhile I added 5 new levels and one completely new game mechanics (charged light shooter). This new mechanics, aside from opening more puzzle possibilities, is also nice for showcasing ray-tracing FX, as naturally, this charged light "bullet" is fully dynamically illuminating environment and casting shadows while flying around level.

Great to hear you are back and I'm looking forward to see examples for the new mechanics!

vdapps
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #155 on: September 23, 2021, 07:59:06 AM »

Thx Alain! In few days, I'll probably post some new anim. Smiley

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: September 24, 2021, 02:01:20 AM »

I'm also on a long hiatus from dev, sometimes it's needed Coffee Sounds like you've already gotten a lot more done tho!

Ramos
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #157 on: November 10, 2021, 12:35:06 PM »

I had "development crisis" (from May to August I not coded even one line). Cry

HERESY !
Out of curiosity, lack of time, or motivation/inspiration?

The art of creation is beautiful, if you use it well it will recharge you with energy.

vdapps
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #158 on: November 10, 2021, 01:17:32 PM »

@Ramos:

Reason number one. Because of my life setup (I'm Slovak living in Spain) and 2020 Covid situation, our summer vacation to Slovakia this year spanned to almost 2 months (as we not saw our family for very long time because of Covid). Yes, I took laptop with me (as I work for one company as my main job, RTG is naturally "just" side-job), however, with all time there with families, there simply was no time for RTG development.

Reason number two. Apart from creating games, I'd like to play them as well. I can theoretically work up-to midnight, 1AM, 2AM on RTG, but I really also want to play games. Initially, I was working on RTG also at nights, but I got quickly burned out. So I'm trying to find more sustainable pace, albeit slower, where I can develop RTG but also have some times to play games. But who knows, maybe sometime I reconsider and I'll start developing at nights again (I can imagine something like that near finishing project).

Gentleman

Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #159 on: November 11, 2021, 12:04:13 AM »

Those are two perfect reasons to cut back on development. Although the circumstances might have been difficult, it is nice to hear you could spend time with your family.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 16
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic