Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 20, 2024, 02:12:25 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsRTG - The Ray-Traced Game (Puzzle / Platformer)
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 16
Print
Author Topic: RTG - The Ray-Traced Game (Puzzle / Platformer)  (Read 35883 times)
assemblerbot
Level 0

Game dev in Unity / C# / LUA / whatever :-D

View Profile WWW
« Reply #200 on: June 30, 2022, 12:05:48 PM »

Hi, that's nice place! It reminds me my freelance times Cheesy

I'm happy to hear that you are still working on RTG. Hand Thumbs Up Right Looking forward to next update!

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: June 30, 2022, 01:46:58 PM »

Hey, nice! Congrats!

I personally don't mind working from home, but then again I have my own small separate room dedicated to be my mini-office. And also no kids yet, so that probably affects things :p
Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #202 on: July 01, 2022, 07:36:39 AM »

Hi All!

still working, still working, I'm just not here very often due to the fact that I was working on RTG just up to 60 minutes daily, so I rather focused on development itself. This will be the biggest gap between two RTG devlogs from the start of development, but my commitment is still there and RTG development IS progressing slowly but steadily.  Hand Metal Left Hand Metal Right

The biggest news from my side currently is that after 2 years of working from home, I finally have my own dedicated office! Yooohoo. Gomez Ok, now it looks more like empty storage space, as I have lot of work with arranging and cleaning yet, but I love it, as I can focus much better now. Kiss

I'm sharing first photo of my humble place how it look at very start. I just moved here bare minimum from our flat what I needed to start working. Looks crappy, but I'm looking forward to improve it! I'll share with you when I have some significant upgrade ( like 'Humble Office' Level 2, etc..  Cheesy )

Awesome, thank you for sharing your new office space with us. May the creativity and coffee flow Coffee

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: July 03, 2022, 03:13:39 AM »

That's really spacious for one person! Or do you have someone else on board too? Hope it's a nice fit either way Smiley And looking forward to seeing that bouncing charged light in the game!

vdapps
Level 5

Head against wall since 2013

View Profile WWW
« Reply #204 on: July 04, 2022, 09:12:13 AM »

Thank y'all!

@Prinsessa:
Yes, it's spacious. For now, I'm working alone, but in case of expanding I have place already. Smiley

Price was good and in my little city here, there are not very much business-houses with classic offices, so I had to take a local. However, I save on car and diesel (it's something over 1km from my home) so I'm zero-emission now plus I'm walking every day (so good for health). Grin

In fact, taking "standard" small office in next bigger city (Elche) and commuting there with a car would be more expensive, so I'm happy with my decision.

@JobLeonard:
Yes, my son was focus breaker. I love him, but having questions 100x times per day. Nope, it doesn't go together with focus and productivity. Grin

@Alain: Coffee Coffee Coffee

@assemblerbot: I not knew you were freelancing in dedicated place. Always thought it was from home. Currently with state of my office, how empty and warehouse-like it's now, with lot of improvisation, I have vibes of garage-like beginnings of Silicon Valley giants. Cheesy

And yep, new update with "bouncing charged light" (the first thing in the game which can kill player, if I don't count falling out from level) is coming soooon! Gomez

vdapps
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #205 on: July 22, 2022, 10:01:19 AM »

-= Devlog #20 =-

(RTG is in version 0.4.1)

'Bouncing charged light' levels

Hello Everyone!

New devlog after half year (yikes Waaagh!) is here! So, what's new?

I was sloowly grinding with creating of new levels and added new game element, which can be used for both puzzle and arcade. I named the element bouncing charged light and so far, it's the only element in the game which can kill player.

It's bouncing infinitely, interacts with any other collidable object and when in contact with player it kills him instantly. This meant also new challenge, creating 'die' animation in my overly simplistic art style (game consists only of axis aligned bounding boxes). I achieved that by adding camera shake, light burst and actor fade-out. Of course, there will be sound as well in final version.

Nice about this element is that it showcases ray-tracing strengths. As bouncing light always moves, illumination and cast shadows are not static but always vibrant. I'm adding 2 animations as small example.

Apart of that, I can say that 90% of regular levels are done. By regular I mean actual 'gameplay/puzzle/arcade' levels, as I plan some 'story progression' levels as well.

I hope you like it and I hope that next devlog will come sooner than this one. Gomez

'Bouncing charged light' example 1

'Bouncing charged light' example 2

« Last Edit: July 22, 2022, 02:34:12 PM by vdapps » Logged

Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #206 on: July 25, 2022, 12:04:20 AM »

Nice, great to hear you continue grinding away making progress! To me, the bouncing lights have an Arkanoid feel to them Smiley

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: July 25, 2022, 12:28:54 AM »

How are you introducing them? It would be fun if you mess with the player

"Oooh, a light. I wonder if it wants to be friends with me!"
vdapps
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #208 on: July 26, 2022, 09:21:07 AM »

Thank you both!

@Alain: now, when I look at it, you're right! I did not notice it at first. Smiley

@JobLeonard: awww, unfortunately, tutorial level is some lights with floating hint, "beware of lethal bouncing charged lights.." Sad You have point that it would be probably better to show it to player harder way.

vdapps
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #209 on: July 26, 2022, 09:31:30 AM »

And small office update. I finally moved from storage space to main room. A bit big for me, but that's "disadvantage" of working in small city with no business centers. Smiley

I plan to make it more cozy. Gomez

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: July 27, 2022, 05:39:55 AM »

Are you on the sunny side or the shady side of the street? In the first case I recommend lots of plants Smiley
Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #211 on: July 28, 2022, 12:24:27 AM »

That's cool, congrats to conquering the main room Wink

vdapps
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #212 on: July 28, 2022, 08:43:52 AM »

Thank you two!

@JobLeonard: hard to say, as street is quite narrow. Direct sun into office is some 1-2 hours around noon, the rest of day in shadow. As far as I remember, no plant or flower survived living with me, but I can try again with something non-demanding. Cheesy

Ramos
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #213 on: July 30, 2022, 09:00:35 AM »

The way you organized your desk room environment is pretty similar to your game visuals, everything is simple, practical, and combined with a drop of magic

Gentleman

vdapps
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #214 on: November 03, 2022, 10:20:02 AM »

Thank you @Ramos. Kiss

I apologize for my very late reply. I still fight with having enough time for my indie development, but I can say it's better than it was in first half of this year. And yeah, RTG development is not stopped at all, I'm working on it, even if I'm not here very often. Sometimes, I have less than 1 hour per day in average for RTG, so I want to spend it all at development itself, that's the reason why I dialed down my time spent here. Sad

But yeah, the fact, that I logged in and I'm writing means that there will be soon another update! Still not ideal, update after 3 months, but better than before (when update was after 6 months). And there will be my "office update" as well. Grin Gomez

Ramos
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #215 on: November 03, 2022, 12:59:54 PM »

Glad to hear you are ok  Grin for a moment I thought you had abandoned the game

Gentleman

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: November 04, 2022, 04:58:36 AM »

Hey, hearing that you're still hanging on is great news in and of itself! Coffee

Looking forward to the next update Smiley
vdapps
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #217 on: November 04, 2022, 09:29:02 AM »

Thank you two for your support! New devlog will be here in minutes. Well, hello there!

vdapps
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #218 on: November 04, 2022, 09:44:32 AM »

-= Devlog #21 =-

(RTG is in version 0.4.2)

'Bit of arcading'

Hi Everyone! New devlog here! So what's new?

Main big thing is that RTG has finally all gameplay levels done! There's no new gameplay mechanics to show as I just created remaining puzzle levels from existing mechanics which I showcased already previously.

However, for final levels I decided to introduce some harder arcading, so that's kind of new, not seen before, as all my previous showcases were mostly about puzzling and corresponding mechanics. So, here you are, an example of level which player will have hopefully to repeat at least several dozens times until mastering it. For me it took like 50 attempts after which I dialed difficulty down, worried that players will smash their controller and give up. Smiley

From levels, what's remaining is just to make some intermediate levels tied only to story (non-gameplay levels). And then it will be big milestone for me! End of levels editing and moving with project to another phase (writing story, adding sounds, music, controller support, etc..), and I'm not worried to say, to another half of development, crossing the "half-line". I'm looking forward to that as I was already bit exhausted from all those levels brainstorming and I'm happy to see "the end of the tunnel".

Cheers! Gomez

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: November 05, 2022, 01:15:33 AM »

Congrats! Now onto tweaking I guess? Smiley

So regarding the final levels, based on how you describe it I am of two minds. On the one hand: that looks really cool! On the other: difficulty spikes that introduce different gameplay at the end of the game tend to piss people off, so I'd be careful with that. Maybe it makes more sense to have that as a "challenge" level for a "true" ending? It would be the same thing in terms of level order, yet somehow feel very different to many players.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 16
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic