Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1380207 Posts in 65795 Topics- by 58187 Members - Latest Member: rarbgproxys

August 05, 2020, 05:16:59 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsThe Strongholds of Silberland
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: The Strongholds of Silberland  (Read 1337 times)
Silbereisen
Overlord
Administrator
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« on: May 14, 2020, 04:42:42 AM »

The Strongholds of Silberland
Puzzly, board game inspired roguelike

https://silberspiele.itch.io/the-strongholds-of-silberland

This game was started in very early 2020 as a small private project to bridge the gap between jobs, but thanks to the Covid lockdown, it grew in scope and ambition and I'm going public with it.

It's a non-traditional roguelike with deterministic combat and a heavy inspiration from Euro-style board games. Instead of the classic multi-level dungeon approach, it uses a small "open" world map with no explorable towns or dungeons. Your goal is to defeat 4 bosses before you either die or time runs out. The game uses a stamina system where moving, attacking and most other actions cost stamina.

I reckon it's between 60 and 70% done in its current state. There's a bit more content, new art, more music, a system linking runs together and of course tons of balancing on the horizon. The current beta version is very much playable as a self contained game however. I'll keep releasing new beta builds in the coming weeks.

Design, programming and music by me. Art currently cobbled together from several free tilesets plus additional art by Mireille aka ProgamGamer.

Feedback welcome!

« Last Edit: July 24, 2020, 01:58:28 PM by Silbereisen » Logged

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

The programmer of games

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2020, 06:56:39 AM »

Coffee

Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2020, 09:46:02 AM »

A roguelike with deterministic combat and an open world? Intriguing! ^_^

Traversal, exploration, puzzles, and combat in a heroic-fantasy setting
Website ~ Twitter
Silbereisen
Overlord
Administrator
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2020, 11:40:46 AM »

thanks  Smiley

i've been hard at work finishing up the next beta build. it'll feature a smooth movement animation and 3 new items, as well as a pretty major mechanics change: dungeon/crypt enemies will now give you a choice of two items if you defeat them rather than just one.

of course, this goes along with some fairly major balance changes to make up for the increased player agency, difficulty-wise. build will drop as soon as i'm happy with it which will be in the next few days.

Silbereisen
Overlord
Administrator
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2020, 04:08:48 AM »

Ok, new build's out.

This is quite a large update, featuring 3 new items, a choice of 2 items for clearing a dungeon, smooth movement, changes to look mode, a complete rebalancing of item and upgrade prices and more!

Due control changes, running this build will reset your keybinds to default, also note that seeds you've used in the last build won't generate the same layouts due to content changes.

Here's the full changelog:

Features:
-Dungeons now give a choice of 2 items when clearing them
-New spell: Throw
-New spell: Mine
-New item: Magic Shield
-Removed enemy Stone Knight
-Added smooth movement animation
-Look mode is now activated by holding Shift. Old toggle method can be optionally enabled from settings.
-Tooltips now work in lookmode by moving the cursor to objects
-Added teleport animation and sound effect
-Added forest outside of play area

Fixes:
-Fixed issue with keybind menu
-Centering window after resizing works correctly now
-Bazaars have a tooltip now
-Fixed item tooltip getting partially obscured in item discard menu
-Fixed Small Ration giving an ATK bonus rather than restoring STM
-Message log now gets wiped when starting a new run
-Other small fixes and changes

Balancing:
-Fewer dungeons and towns
-Rebalanced item prices
-Changed blacksmith upgrade costs
-Bandit and Mercenary are now infinite use
-Other small balance changes
« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 03:56:57 AM by Silbereisen » Logged

Silbereisen
Overlord
Administrator
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2020, 04:37:40 AM »

Uploaded a new bugfix build today.

Changelog:
-Fixed mercenary
-Fixed a potential crash during world gen
-Other minor fixes
-Balance adjustments

Also, you can autoupdate the game through the itch.io app now, if you so desire.

Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2020, 03:25:03 AM »

This looks really interesting (and I like the choice of items on clearing a dungeon). ^_^

If I may ask, would a Linux build be feasible?

Website ~ Twitter
Silbereisen
Overlord
Administrator
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2020, 03:53:55 AM »

This looks really interesting (and I like the choice of items on clearing a dungeon). ^_^

If I may ask, would a Linux build be feasible?

Thank you!

Linux build is possible, but I'd need to install linux on one of my computers first. I also haven't used linux in over 10 years. But yeah, it will probably be a thing in the future.

Meanwhile, you could try playing it in Wine. I've been told it runs well on Ubuntu.

Oh yeah, also: The thing I posted above about the mac version being discontinued is outdated. I managed to find a way to still build on macos despite lack of an apple dev id. the app is still unsigned of course and you'll need to run xattr -d -r com.apple.quarantine <foldername> to get it to work.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 03:59:57 AM by Silbereisen » Logged

Silbereisen
Overlord
Administrator
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2020, 10:12:20 AM »

Preview time!

This is a repost of my latest itch.io devlog: https://silberspiele.itch.io/the-strongholds-of-silberland/devlog/150285/beta-3-preview

While Beta 2 focused on adding new items, the upcoming Beta 3 will be all about enemies!

So far, there are 3 new enemies, each with a new unique ability:

Greedy Ghosts are a new type of enemy appearing in crypts and dark dungeons. The only deal half damage if they hit you, but they steal the full difference between their ATK and your DEF in gold!

Raging Boars are the game's first aggressive enemies. This means that unlike other enemies, these pigs will automatically attack you if you move to a space adjacent to them. This is otherwise treated as a normal attack, so you can still defeat them if you have the necessary ATK.

Our 3rd new enemy type is the Earth Elemental. These enemies have a new and particularly tricky ability called terraform. If you defeat them with an ATK value less than double their DEF, they'll spawn mountains on their own (former) space and adjacent spaces, except your space and spaces containing locations such as dungeons, strongholds and towns. Triggering this ability at an inopportune moment can softlock your run, so be careful!

UI Changes
Aside from new content, Beta 3 will also contain two new UI features relating to enemies

The most obvious change to the UI are the enemy damage numbers, which you can see in the screenshots above. These show you how much damage an enemy will do if you attack it with your current stats (including item buffs). Normally, they are only visible in look mode (outside of dungeons at least), but a new menu option allows you to toggle them permanently. This was done to not overwhelm new players with visual clutter. I've also moved the defeatability icon to the bottom because it tends to obscure less of the sprite's features that way.

The second change are dangerous effect warnings. Those are the little yellow exclamation point icons you can see on the Earth Elementals in the screenshots. They are meant to indicate when attacking an enemy would trigger a particularly impactful effect (such as the aforementioned terraform). Which effects this will apply to in the released build remains to be worked out.

Other Stuff
I have more things than just those above planned for the upcoming build. It will likely feature a new set of bosses (so you don't fight the same ones each run) and possibly an enemy encyclopedia similar to the existing item encyclopedia. Aside from that, there's the usual balance changes, fixes and tweaks.

This build will probably drop in a week or two!

Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2020, 03:02:53 AM »

Linux build is possible, ... But yeah, it will probably be a thing in the future.

Ah, I'm glad to read it! Thank you. ^_^

Meanwhile, you could try playing it in Wine. I've been told it runs well on Ubuntu.

I may just do that, indeed. ^_^

Website ~ Twitter
Silbereisen
Overlord
Administrator
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2020, 06:45:18 AM »

New build:

https://silberspiele.itch.io/the-strongholds-of-silberland/devlog/153109/beta-3-released

Changelog:

#Features:#
-New Bosses: Volcanic Golem, Giant Jellyfish, Blinding Light, Trickster Spirit
-New Enemies: Greedy Ghost, Raging Boar, Earth Elemental

-Added enemy encyclopedia
-Enemies now display the damage they will do to you in look mode
-Also added an option to toggle these damage numbers permanently
-Enemies with particularly dangerous effects now display a ! icon if you would trigger any of those effects by attacking them

#UI Tweaks:#
-New main UI font
-New message log font

#Fixes:#
-Teleport animation from Everywhere-Eye now plays after loot selection
-Magic Shield use no longer incorrectly registers as ineffective
-Fixed certain sound effects playing despite sound being turned off
-Various smaller fixes

#Balance:#
-Changes to world gen: Shops and smiths are more spread out, bazaars are closer to dungeons
-Crypt enemies now drop less gold, overworld enemies drop more
-Sword Amulet now gives +2 ATK and Light/Dark Weakness
-Other balance changes

Silbereisen
Overlord
Administrator
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2020, 12:52:52 PM »

Just stopping by to say I'm still working on this game.

I'm currently working on the campaign system, which turned out to be major redesign of the game and also required refactoring quite a bit of old code, but I'm relatively close to done with it.

Basically, in the future, rather than the game consisting of a single map, it will consist of campaigns made up of multiple, increasingly difficult maps (called lands). Your stats and gold will be reset between those maps, but you'll be able to keep some of your items, depending on how well you did.

This necessitated a few major mechanics changes:

Firstly, the stamina mechanic was redesigned to account for different map sizes. You now start out with relatively low stamina, but there are food items distributed across the map that you can use to replenish it.

Secondly, there's now an alternate win condition: There's a dimensional portal close to your starting position. Once you've defeated a certain number of strongholds, you'll be able to exit through that portal and finish the map. However, leaving before you've defeated all strongholds will incur a slight score penalty, meaning less resources for the next map.

Aside from that, there'll be new content and a few more mechanics changes in the upcoming build.

Silbereisen
Overlord
Administrator
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2020, 01:48:14 PM »

https://silberspiele.itch.io/the-strongholds-of-silberland/devlog/164360/beta-4-released-campaigns-and-more

New build featuring reworked progression mechanics in the form of a campaign as well as tons of other changes, fixes and tweaks.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2020, 01:09:44 AM »

Silb? With a DEVLOG?! Oh yeah, I'm so down for this
Silbereisen
Overlord
Administrator
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2020, 01:30:25 PM »

Silb? With a DEVLOG?! Oh yeah, I'm so down for this

thank you  Smiley

Here's a quick new build with some fixes and tweaks and some new content
https://silberspiele.itch.io/the-strongholds-of-silberland/devlog/166537/beta-41-released

BTW: this game supports auto updates via the itch.io app. so if you're one of the 5 people who actually uses that app

oh also, i have a twitter now, so you can, like, follow me and stuff https://twitter.com/silber_spiele

Ashedragon
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2020, 04:46:50 PM »

Oo, I find this rather enticing.  The mixels are bothering me a lot though, haha.

Silbereisen
Overlord
Administrator
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2020, 04:52:31 PM »

Oo, I find this rather enticing.  The mixels are bothering me a lot though, haha.

yeah, i'm not an artist and the graphics are largely cobbled together from free tilesets and fonts (plus a bit of work by programgamer), which are not all the same resolution. there are vague plans to eventually rework the art, but if that happens at all it will be post-1.0 and possibly for a remake or sequel.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2020, 04:26:55 AM »

BTW: this game supports auto updates via the itch.io app. so if you're one of the 5 people who actually uses that app
I would be the sixth if it supported Linux  Tongue
Silbereisen
Overlord
Administrator
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2020, 10:23:20 AM »

I would be the sixth if it supported Linux  Tongue

It supposedly works well in Wine (or at least that's what someone who tried it told me). Native Linux build will be a thing (like I posted a few months ago), but might only come out after the game reaches 1.0, which will probably be in something like 2 months.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic