Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411280 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 06:15:59 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignFood For Thought: Enemy Ai - Local & Global
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Food For Thought: Enemy Ai - Local & Global  (Read 2497 times)
Suttebun
« on: May 15, 2020, 01:05:56 PM »

Local Ai vs Global Ai

Local Ai being ai that performs knowing what it knows from it's own perception. Blink
Remember these little wall climbers? You know they're going to move from one face of the wall to the next, and then continue moving on until the next corner.

Global Ai being ai that receives third person information, following perceptions from outside it's own view.
Such things probably determined by the rules and information guided from how you've programmed your game - like A-Star pathfinding letting the entity have guides outside of it's own view.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Not to say that you can't do both in a character.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 02:05:45 PM by Suttebun » Logged
Tobers
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2020, 06:01:02 PM »

This is a great topic!

I think about it all the time, the AI in my game isn't very good yet. The local AI is ways easier to code and process. I think it's important to remember that good AI is most likely not the smartest AI, it's the AI that is most fun to play against. So generally if my local AI is fun to play against I won't even bother with Global AI.

Then again I've never worked on an RTS...

Oh god make it stop.
Suttebun
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2020, 10:19:00 AM »

I hear you. I have a friends words of "simple.. simple.." in my head.

We can do so much, but player's just want to have fun.

Local AI is wonderful because the intelligence relies on sences that reflect off the game's world - which may be outside of the range of the player character's senses. Making the other creatures unique and real in that kind of way.
Ramos
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2020, 12:14:28 AM »

I am a simple man, I see an interesting topic, I clik

My partner who does the coding keep telling me that games do not truly have an AI in the real sense of the word

This being said, If I understood correctly from an artist/designer point of view, the local "AI" is good for a certain type of games like platformers, bullet hell, overall Metroidvania type of game. Having a "smart" AI in this type of game it can be ok for bosses but it can also become frustrating.

And the global "AI" type(I understand this is a more freedom type and it allows him to have decisions to some extent aka not so predictable - I might be wrong I dunno jack s**t about coding but I try to ) is more efficient in strategy games, maybe even horror games.

Suttebun
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2020, 10:29:37 AM »

Yes, you got it!
Local AI relies on information gathered from the creatures senses.
If I have eyes, I can cast out rays from them to see.
Using that information is locally gathered and processed.

While Global AI relies on exposed information that the entity gathers from the computer's background code.
A real time strategy AI might know what moves you're making on the other side of the game board - even if it's not in it's range of vision because it doesn't have the FOG-OF-WAR like you do.

And dude the brain of a mechanical thing is AI.
Foxwarrior
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2020, 04:20:37 PM »

For my stealth game I used almost exclusively Local AI (except for pathfinding, because keeping a slightly different copy of the map in each minion's head so that they could realistically fail to make use of holes you blasted in the walls didn't seem worth the effort), and when the enemies shout out your location, only nearby enemies hear it, so half of the enemies might be chasing you while the other half remain blissfully unaware. I dunno if this local only knowledge of the player position was exactly an improvement on the stealth game formula, although it did mean that every aware enemy could predictably try to mob you without just emptying out the entire rest of the map.
Suttebun
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2020, 05:05:20 PM »

although it did mean that every aware enemy could predictably try to mob you without just emptying out the entire rest of the map.

Be very clear. An entity is a single enemy. Don't fucking say mob afterwards or I'm going to be confused as heck.

This is good. Using pathfinding is important because for the longest time we didn't have intelligent enough rules to seek and move through environments as intelligently as humans, right?? Remember how hard it was for us to build robots that could walk up stairs - or detect the floors vs the walls so we could have vacuum cleaner robots..

SO, using global AI keeps the game ahead of reality. The sounds and what not are gameplay.

You did not do anything new for the stealth game genre, but now you can.
Local AI is realistic like reality, Global AI is outside of your walls.
So think about what you want the players to feel. What's their angle?

Build from that.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic