Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411497 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 07:30:56 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralThe Potato Hierarchy
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: The Potato Hierarchy  (Read 6857 times)
michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: September 09, 2021, 06:59:37 AM »

I'm not sure what experience you are basing that on sambloom, but I don't see many big shots posting in the feedback forum here, and whenever I reach out to a more famous/important person in the pyramid they make me feel as though I had asked for change on the street in smelly ratty clothing. I don't know how many of the "pyramid tippers" you know irl but usually they don't take kindly to strangers, and that is coming from personal experience I've had in the last few weeks.

Just to clarify, in my 10 or so years making games, I've run into people who consider themselves big shots who won't even have a conversation with me, to others who are willing to play my game demo and give feedback. So its not like I'm saying everyone at the top are all bad people, its just a lot of them are.

Another edit: Usually people who are famous in the game world need to know what famous person you've worked with before they take you seriously. So if they see some new person they say "oh this is one of XXX's people" or something. Also there are a ton of cliques that are like gossip sewing circles. It really is very much like high school.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2021, 07:13:09 AM by michaelplzno » Logged

Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: September 09, 2021, 02:39:18 PM »

if the potato diagram were a metaphor for the oblong political spheroid
idk what this thread is about but every attempt at charting ideology to a visualizable model is extremely funny/misguided/futile and when you see someone do it it's ok to laugh at them

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: September 09, 2021, 05:02:39 PM »

glad to give you a chuckle.

sambloom
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 10, 2021, 04:17:00 AM »

I've run into people who consider themselves big shots who won't even have a conversation with me

I've experienced what you're talking about. In my case however, these self-proclaimed big shots hadn't actually made good games themselves so they were just being sweaty. Was that the case for you as well? I wouldn't consider one at the top of the pyramid unless having made good games
« Last Edit: September 10, 2021, 08:35:19 AM by sambloom » Logged
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: September 10, 2021, 06:53:43 AM »

glad to give you a chuckle.
as I said I didn't really read the thread so it's not @ u just in general and I appreciate your attempt at understanding Human

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: September 10, 2021, 07:38:56 AM »

No @sambloom, I've run into people who are big shots in that they have games that are hits or known ips and so on. They are mean and nasty, the lot of them. I don't want to air out my shit list but I've known people who are legitimately hit making people who are just nasty. And I guess I just have a hateable face or something because usually they try to make themselves look good but in this case, when I ask for a real favor their attitude is "UUUUUGGGGGG A HOBO ASKING FOR CHANGE"

@Schoq TLDR: I want there to be some kind of structure on top of raw unregulated capitalism that encourages people to help out those of lower status so I made up a goofy thing about potatoes.

Edit: @sambloom I've run into people who are friendly who have some power and successful games, but more often than not the bigger the person's reputation the less friendly they are to aspiring developers.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2021, 07:46:00 AM by michaelplzno » Logged

Pfotegeist
« Reply #46 on: September 12, 2021, 10:14:57 AM »

Ah there's something michael said about robots. I think I get it, if I say lend aid to any country in need, I have to include, improve The USA.

In general,
gradually improve the standard of living for the homeless, the unemployed. Give access to a platform to the marginalized people who aren't given an equal opportunity to voice their problems, or display their talents to the rest of the world, everywhere.

Improve the future outlook for the individuals who are going to become unemployed in the near future, perhaps they deserve to be grandfathered onto a permanent payroll until there's a better solution. When that day comes to pass, their cost of living can't increase, or they'd become homeless eventually, and without something to do they'd lack a sense of purpose.

All this can be done with careful planning.

Even if someone runs out of patience while practicing their tolerance, anyone who wants to redeem themselves can always come back and communicate their plea. It's difficult to tell who is running on fumes, and when, and we make worse decisions because of it.

So, what I meant a while back was, all humans can be evaluated, like cute lovable bunnies, because I gradually came to think of them as the best animal while I played video games in my early 20s. But I think it would be a noble goal to achieve the qualities of bunnies that make them so lovable to begin with. And yeah, my opinion changed pretty fast in a span of a few years because humans also all so easily threw away the exceptional impression I had of them. Luckily brain cells grow back, so my impression is mostly positive.

Alright, that's all I was getting at.

edit: aaah. ok. small logical error there. I think this won't backfire now.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2021, 02:37:29 PM by Pfotegeist » Logged
michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: September 12, 2021, 07:30:48 PM »

Just to be clear:

I'm not too friendly to literal hobos asking for change. I don't think giving some guy on the street a dollar is going to do anything good, just like how I don't think Brittany Spears having 100% the ability to do whatever she wants with all her money is a good idea.

What I like is for there to be some kind of system or structure that lifts people up. Evolution, Mr. Anderson. If I'm a gamedev with a good game idea that is well executed, its very difficult to get people with any kind of power to make a game known to even look at it. There should be a system for dealing with the intake of new ideas in games. Just like there should be a system for the intake of homeless people.

A lot of people say that the homeless issue would be solved if we just build giant apartment complexes, or get rid of the housing market. Let me tell you: those homeless people need more than just access to a home. They need a lot more support than that, and there should be a systematic way in which the homeless are dealt with rather than just sort of letting them fall through the cracks.

Also, to reiterate, I'm not advocating for the dregs of society to rule over the most high functioning ones. I do think there needs to be some kind of force imposed on people to push them to make good decisions, but just motivating people with "hey work hard to rank up on the pyramid" is not the solution to everything. Lots of people want something other than being a pyramid tip, and lots of people know that no one ever truly makes it to the tippy top, there is always someone higher up for literally everyone.

Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic