Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 07:55:30 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralAction or RPG Games?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Action or RPG Games?  (Read 1920 times)
superekon
TIGBaby

View Profile
« on: May 18, 2020, 11:55:40 PM »

Recently,
I had the unfortunate privilege to try out EVE Online for 14 days.
[spam link removed]
Unfortunate being because the game was horrible and I only lasted two days and in the end it just made me want an open-ended simulation, action or RPG set in space.

I really liked the feeling you got from piloting your lonely ship in the vastness of space but that was about the only thing that really appealed to me in EVE.

So I was wondering what are some good games out there set in space? I know of a few: Star Control, Wing Commander etc... but not too many.

I am looking for something that is more of a open-ended affair with the ability to traverse the galaxy in a sandbox kind of design but anything that you guys think is good will do (due to the fact that I will take anything right now lol).
« Last Edit: May 19, 2020, 07:38:25 AM by ThemsAllTook » Logged
Schrompf
Level 9

C++ professional, game dev sparetime

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2020, 01:16:11 AM »

I loved Everspace for its athmosphere - it's a pure shooter and a rogue sort of, so be warned. But the colourful space, the asteroids, the small features here and there... it's worth flying through it in easy mode if you get it cheap.

Also there's No Man's Sky. It's colourful, too, and there's an occasional "woah, nice" moment, but they're rare and most of it is very grindy.

I always wanted to do a space exploration story game. The player just jumps from POI to POI, flying around it with her ship and uncovering some tragic epic story and some side stories, too. Probably can't carry a whole game on discovery alone, though, so fighting will creep back in sooner or later :-(

Snake World, multiplayer worm eats stuff and grows DevLog
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2020, 02:24:48 PM »

ass.
Foxwarrior
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2020, 10:19:23 PM »

A walking simulator in space, Schrompf? A moon walking simulator, as it were? People do indeed carry whole games on discovery alone, the trick is just pacing the stages of discovery and thinking about where to explore next.

Superekon: Elite Dangerous maybe? It has a double helping of vastness in it at least.
woodsmoke
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2020, 12:17:25 AM »

Maybe have a look at Orbiter. It's freeware.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic