Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1377854 Posts in 65464 Topics- by 57789 Members - Latest Member: Cryofauna

June 05, 2020, 04:43:59 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsGothic Throne - a brutally fast-paced sword 'em up
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Gothic Throne - a brutally fast-paced sword 'em up  (Read 254 times)
Valar05
Level 0

View Profile
« on: May 22, 2020, 06:42:55 AM »

Welcome!  I've just posted up Gothic Throne on itch here https://grailawakeninggames.itch.io/the-gothic-throne and would love some feedback!  It's still in early stages, but I feel like it's got a pretty good base to build from.

If the name doesn't give it away, this game is heavily inspired by Nuclear Throne.  Essentially, this is what I think that game would look like if it was melee-focused in a fantasy setting.  To that end, I plan to add multiple characters with their own special powers, and passive unlocks that you gain by leveling up in-between levels.

My next goal is to give the knight a charge ability!

Naturally the bestiary needs to be fleshed out with more enemies, and I need some bosses.  I also have some ideas for more weapons - including elemental versions (fire sword, ice dagger, etc), and the brutal type - which amplifies the weapon's base special ability even further.
andyfromiowa
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2020, 09:24:30 AM »

Looks good! You've nailed a lot of small touches like sound effects and screenshake that really make the gameplay dynamic. I think this could definitely be a strong base to build on.

Cannoncow
Level 0

The Glitch Fairy

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2020, 10:46:46 AM »

Looks fun!  Hand Thumbs Up Left

Oats
Level 1

High starch content.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2020, 01:05:38 AM »

Looks good, how large a project do you intend for it to be? You mentioned in the video making it in about 48 hours over a couple of months so I get the impression it's a side project, but it looks like it could be quite fun fleshed out a little so I was wondering what your plans where for it. Also I'm curious what engine/tools you're using?

eh
Valar05
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2020, 12:05:03 PM »

Looks good, how large a project do you intend for it to be?

This is a pretty key question I haven't answered yet myself.  I started out trying to actually make a small project for once so I could actually release it, but now that I have, I can see a lot of cool places I could go with it. 

I've actually got Bipolar Disorder, so it can be extra difficult to stick with projects through the mood swings.  As I get older it's gotten easier to separate out what feelings spring from a chemical imbalance, and which are genuine.  That being said, if I wake up one day and can't stand the sight of my own creation, it can be pretty hard to push through.

Also I'm curious what engine/tools you're using?

Primarily I'm using Unity - for game logic as well as for most of the animation/particles.  Part of my goal with this game was to avoid artistic time sinks, so I'm doing everything the quickest, dirtiest way possible.  So there's rotating pixels, there's mismatched scaling - pretty much all the pixel art purity laws have been broken here in the name of expediency.

For pixel art, I started out with this tileset, and have been supplementing it with my own art I hope looks similar (mostly for effects).  I'm actually quite new to pixel art, but I've enjoyed using Pixel Studio on my phone (which has a stylus - yay Samsung Note series!)
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic