Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411426 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 09:57:26 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesThe worst game ever
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: The worst game ever  (Read 15591 times)
LasTeam
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: June 04, 2020, 11:59:13 PM »

Often on forums, gamers talked about the best game - the game of dreams.
But what do you think should be the worst game in the world? What should it look like? In what kind of genre? What gameplay features should be there? What is the story?
vmtbits
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2020, 12:57:43 PM »

I know I will upset many with his but the game I consider it the worst is Solitaire (even though it is played by so many Smiley) But for me is the most boring game that exists => which made it the worst I ever played.
marcAKAmarc
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2020, 08:16:28 AM »

I think the worst game would probably look like a cookie clicker game - something that is extremely addictive, but not interesting even for a second.  Maybe it would be a game with an intense economy or resource or upgrade tree that takes maximum effort to explore, but really offers no new game play mechanics as you progress.  In this way, it is really easy to view cookie clicker style games as malicious, addictive traps.  Constantly baiting you with 'what happens when', and then only delivering more bait once you get to that when.  This leads to reviews like 'Would Not Recommend' even though the player has 80 hours logged.

I would consider No Man's Sky to be one of these games.  I'm bitter.

muki
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2020, 05:42:26 AM »

I look at the mobile world with a lot of cynicism. Especially games that are designed around addiction, grinding and min-maxing player "retention" rather than actually just making a fun and compelling game. "I need to keep playing because.... because.... I need the next level on my house so I can unlock the next thing to grind". <---- HHNGNGG  Waaagh!
michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2020, 03:39:27 AM »

I'm not sure this is a particularly worthwhile discussion as it is easy to create flawed works, anyone who has produced any volume of art will tell you that some days are shit and others are better. I get that you are batting around works you don't like as a way to help define the direction you want to go in, so you might want to re-frame this as "games I don't want to make" to be a bit more positive.

I get that you guys don't like cookie clicker or solitaire or mobile games and that's fine. A lot of people have argued that you need that sense of pain to make art feel real and good on you for admitting that you need the pain to feel alive. I am envious that you have had lives such that you are advocating for more pain. But to say that solitaire is the Worst game is just arbitrary and idiosyncratic.

marcAKAmarc
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2020, 07:26:40 AM »

True, Michael.  I guess that in order to identify the worst hypothetical game, I first have to define how I find value in a game.  I'm glad that you brought up pain in games - I do think you are right that pain is important.  Honestly, my favorite games I have ever played seem to focus on inflicting pain on the player in one way or another. 

Minecraft on hardcore mode was quite painful, but only in the way that you lose your progress / world if you die.  For me, this elevated pain to beauty as it really makes death feel real, and made me reflect on irl mortality in a way most games do not.

Desert Golfing is also pretty painful.  What pulled me in about this game was the stark emptiness that goes beyond minimalism.  What struck me the most was the cactus I saw on like, level 800 something.  The amount of nothingness I went through to get to the cactus makes the simple cactus feel so much more important.  In fact it felt so important that I immediately had to google it to see if there is more logic to its instantiation in the game.  Whether or not there was very much information online about the cactus is moot, but what I think is important to take away is that the pain put me into such a hypnotic zone powerful enough to make me play 800 levels of the same thing, but also a hypnotic zone weak enough to be broken by a stupid cactus sprite.

Punishment (Messhof) was quite influential to me, and the formula there seems to be a solid platformer with pain sprinkled on top.  The screen can get rotated or controls flipped, making the core platforming mechanic harder and arguably more painful.  And then at a higher level, if you fall off the screen, you can potentially end up falling all the way to previous levels, or even levels that occur prior to the beginning of the game, thus serving as sort of a natural Game Over where you have to start over to a certain degree. 

So I guess I'm gonna wrap this by saying that Minecraft and Desert Golfing both used pain in such a way that made me analyze things outside the game world with the knowledge I pulled from the pain within the game.  Punishment used pain to replace otherwise 'forced' gameplay elements such as increased difficulties or sudden 'Game Over' states. 

I'm not sure why I hate cookie clicker so much.  I guess because I don't feel like the pain makes a statement beyond the game.  But I dunno, this is a real loose conclusion, and I don't really want to marry it.  But I will say that something about cookie clickers just really feel bad...

On a different note, Resident Evil had pain in the fear inflicted on the player, which was made oh so nice by the feeling of safety of the save rooms.  Maybe pain is more worth it when the player is rewarded with brief respites from it, creating a duality in the gameplay that can be carried in the player to other elements of life.  I don't think cookie clicker types accomplish this.  Again, this is a loose conclusion and I don't want to marry it.

J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2020, 10:30:01 AM »

what do you think should be the worst game in the world?
That's an oxymoron, therefore pointless to discuss. What's more insightful is to figure out why it's an oxymoron.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2020, 08:19:59 PM »

@jsnake you can tell this guy cares, about what I have no idea.

@marcAKAmarc

So in THE MATRIX the fact is that what we have is a design issue: the machines that run the show have no imagination, they are incapable of creating some kind of xanadu, a prison we humans would never want to escape from, instead they focus on realism. And I admit, there are a lot of people who crave pain, its a well known phenomenon.

The thing that people want is, as Smith puts it is "evolution" not to be made subservient to some other structure, but to be prodded to grow. The structure imposed by the game system must serve the player and not the other way around. Now as the saying goes: it takes different strokes to rule the world. Some people would be more than thrilled to have a shock collar that zaps them whenever they make a mistake. Some people would love a cookie whenever they do something good. Some people just want a stone tablet of commandments they must follow, etc.

But how do we define what is good? How do we define what is growth? How do we define what is a reward, how do we define what is a punishment? Even the machines, the architects, the game designers, don't necessarily know what the player wants. Hence bad games.

That being said I'm not going to say the objectivity of what makes a game bad isn't there. Some games are truly hated by all. A lot of people, who are pain averse, love clickers and solitaire, so I wouldn't go jump on them as "bad games" other than in your subjective view as someone who enjoys getting subjected to pain.

The systems we play with have to be tailored to their audience. Some people are quite complicated and will get bored at "playing 700 painful levels to see a cactus" In fact, that description sounds like one of the worst games you could describe, from my point of view.

If you do want to focus on "bad games" you might want to nail down ones that *no one* likes, but again, making a bad game is a trivially easy endeavor, so what is the point of hating on them? Even the razzies, the Hollywood award for the worst movies of the year, has the criteria that the movies are produced by a major studio so that you don't just award it to some crappy youtube video of a picture of a toilet or something.

I think actually this gamedev is trying to make the worst game possible:

https://adriendittrick.itch.io/the-sky-is-lava

I would say that it is much worse than solitaire so maybe you are beginning to understand that even being the worst takes a bit more effort than "oh I just don't care for this"

michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2020, 07:50:02 AM »

In summary and in conclusion, reality is the worst game ever.

marcAKAmarc
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2020, 03:14:53 PM »

Makes sense - like the worst game is the game that is so bad that it doesn't even register as a game - hence reality.

I guess I also feel like there may be another approach where the game keeps telling you that it is going to be something that it never is.  But I guess that wouldn't really be the "worst game" and would be more of the "most deceptively upsetting" game or something.

Beastboy
Level 3

Happy birth day mom!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2021, 04:49:58 AM »

A mix between cyberpunk 2077 and no man sky
LucierBlazquiz
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2021, 06:50:47 PM »

Waynes World for the SNES is a strong contender but I think that's been widely covered.
Amfibian333
TIGBaby

Froggie!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2021, 09:46:54 AM »

The worst game i ever played is "CrazyBus", worst gameplay, worst graphics, and worst soundtrack i ever heard  Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Down Left
MDex
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2021, 10:17:52 AM »

Probably Desert Bus. It could be summarized as just pressing left (or is it right?) occasionally to avoid getting towed. There's almost nothing else there. The menu theme could make ears bleed. Not sure if the game was actually meant to be a game or just a prototype somebody slapped a pricetag onto.
bartorexplay
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2021, 10:52:42 PM »

Every shitty remaster like GTA Trilogy :D

Noble's Life: Kingdom Reborn
GianCann
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2021, 05:28:27 AM »

BF 2042. Well, it's the worst BF game, for me it's the worst game of the year. And I want to call it the worst of all the times
Sketchwhale
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2021, 06:21:35 AM »

As far as what qualities have constituted good games, the general ethos of mobile games will nominate a lot of those. That said, for being both malicious, vapid, and even unoriginal, I think the mobile version of Dungeon Keeper is a good contender. It was cruel towards both fans, newcomers AND developers.

EDIT: it used to be fun to laugh at Big Rigs and Superman 64, but all game devs always say every game is small miracle. Superman 64 couldn't have been easy to make. We spend our time and money to play these games, so mockery seemed the natural response when we were used to games being technically competent. Yet at least the producers of S64 didn't think to exploit kids who bought it
« Last Edit: December 25, 2021, 07:39:41 AM by Sketchwhale » Logged

powellaxe
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2022, 05:54:01 AM »

I can only remember of Superman 64. Mayby 20 years ago, this game did not seem to me as uninteresting and terrible as it is now.
Rin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2022, 06:12:18 AM »

Just the Sonic games. They've been a mess since day one and an enduring embarrassment that won't stay dead.
ActiveUnique
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2022, 10:12:05 AM »

In summary and in conclusion, reality is the worst game ever.

I agree. Stop nerfing reality. When it needs a downpatch, remove some p2w, make pvp sexier, and start boosting the graphics. People used to say, "if looks could kill." This way, you'll nut if you ever go out in public.

Now life is perfect, where's all the drama? The worst thing about a perfect world is the oppression from enjoying yourself too damn much. This dystopian sexually charged reality will destroy all our carefully laid self-sabotage and force us to think of the future.

I've read about the idea guy. Yeah, so, you should get a lazy team.
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic