Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 20, 2024, 02:17:39 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsHolodeck Arena - Neon Cyberspace RTS (formerly Source Wars)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Holodeck Arena - Neon Cyberspace RTS (formerly Source Wars)  (Read 2292 times)
YanH
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: June 05, 2020, 06:02:18 AM »

Holodeck Arena is a fast-paced arcadey RTS with base-building, resource management and territorial conquest, set in a Tron-like, cyberspace environment. Battles are fought in holodeck arenas that are divided into sectors. Each sector has it's own mainframe temple, which can be hacked, to take over the sector. The game is won, once all sectors are conquered and all enemy units destroyed.

You can watch my first mini-devlog here:

Updates coming soon.

« Last Edit: June 30, 2021, 09:33:25 AM by YanH » Logged

Steam | Twitter | Devlog

Foxwarrior
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2020, 11:34:39 AM »

I'm always looking out for new RTS games, how do I wishlist Tongue

Are you going to tackle online multiplayer?
YanH
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2020, 02:17:27 AM »

Glad see you're interested. The Steam page is live: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1331600

Yes, online multiplayer is high up on my list! Anybody reading this that can recommend the best tools and libraries for RTS game networking in Unity, please post. I'm currently eyeing lockstep networking with PUN and apparently uecho is a useful tool to use.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2020, 02:38:46 AM by YanH » Logged

Steam | Twitter | Devlog

YanH
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2020, 12:04:41 AM »

The model will change somewhat, it will be slower and it will only be able to fire when stationary, but here is a short preview of a new heavy gunner unit as it stands right now. A fast close combat unit will follow soon.

Steam | Twitter | Devlog

YanH
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2020, 09:18:19 AM »

Updates:
- performance improvements
- predictive aiming
- formations are now grouped according to unit type
- formations now keep a minimum distance to enemies
- bugfixes

« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 12:07:12 PM by YanH » Logged

Steam | Twitter | Devlog

Sp1ke
Level 0

Mike

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2020, 09:01:12 PM »

Those neon-like graphics look cool. Do you plan to implement some kind of vehicles? Also I think that it would be be good if terrain was a little more detailed (for example more trees etc.). Keep up good work Smiley

Earworm
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2020, 06:16:10 AM »

This looks super promising. Reminds me of my first experience with StarCraft watching my uncle play on his PC. I'm curious which direction you plan to take the music and soundtrack?
YanH
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2020, 01:05:36 PM »

Thanks for your comments guys!

Yes, I am planning to include vehicles. I don’t want to get ahead of myself, but beyond a larger variety of infantry, you can expect walkers, speeders, heavy weapons platforms and... a few late-game surprises Smiley These will all be low-poly and with minimal animations for now, but with distinct appearances, functionalities, strengths and weaknesses.

There will also be resource patches and ruin artifacts spread across the terrain, all of which, including the tree patches, will have specific functions, beyond providing cover.

I am in touch with a couple of very talented musicians and have some preliminary tracks ready to use. The vibe is futuristic and spacey, ranging from fast synthy beats to deeper or more epic orchestral sequences. If anyone has any suggestions or links to specific tracks, please post!
« Last Edit: August 13, 2020, 01:54:25 PM by YanH » Logged

Steam | Twitter | Devlog

YanH
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2021, 09:35:46 AM »

Source Wars is being renamed to Holodeck Arena. This is being done to avoid trademark issues and because the latter name in fact more appropriately reflects the scope of the project.

Steam | Twitter | Devlog

logophil
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2021, 01:25:04 PM »

Love the concept of this game, and the graphics look great so far! Will there be a single player campaign too, or is it  mainly multiplayer?

Ramos
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2021, 02:31:34 PM »

This looks like an RTS for my heart.

Do not forget to establish a Discord room

YanH
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2021, 04:50:42 PM »

I plan to focus primarily on nailing down the game mechanics, a decent AI and multiplayer. I am open to suggestions for a story however. I did create a discord server where you can also post suggestions: https://discord.gg/beuqtjpA

Steam | Twitter | Devlog

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic