Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411425 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 08:35:02 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsKells (Lemmings-alike retro 2d puzzle game)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Kells (Lemmings-alike retro 2d puzzle game)  (Read 713 times)
pdrummond
Level 0

View Profile
« on: June 06, 2020, 12:24:57 PM »

Hi everyone,

I’ve been working on this little game in my spare time for the past six months. Here's an early preview video that demonstrates the gameplay:

The goal is to get your followers (those little green things) to the exit flag by changing gravity. You do this by attaching arrow blocks to the background which effect gravity in different ways based on the direction of the chosen arrow.

Most of the work so far has been experimenting with how the gravity works and tweaking it for maximum fun - it’s not meant to be realistic by any stretch of the imagination. There is a long way to go. I'm no artist so the graphics are very basic at the moment and it’s also very confusing what the various gravity states are in some of the more complex levels so I need to add visual clues to make that more obvious. Also, planning to do many more levels over the coming months!

More updates coming soon.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2021, 11:22:11 AM by pdrummond » Logged
Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2020, 06:09:59 PM »

I looooved Lemmings as a kid. Seems like a cool concept!

It struck me as a little odd in the video that the followers walked in the other direction after changing surface. For example if they're walking left, and fall from the ceiling down to the floor, they then walk right. It's not immediately intuitive as I'd expect them to continue in the same direction, but I can see how it might make for more interesting puzzles - it's easier to trap them in a loop by switching them between floor and ceiling for example. Is this behaviour something you experimented with?

I like that the gravity can affect other things in the level like the boxes.

Good luck with the project! Coffee

pdrummond
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2020, 01:51:18 AM »

Thanks for the great feedback Ishi! I loved Lemmings too but funnily enough this never started out as a Lemmings-alike. It actually started out as a platformer believe it or not, but naturally evolved into a puzzle game the more I worked on it. I'm sure somewhere along the line I was subconsciously inspired by Lemmings though given the similarities!

It struck me as a little odd in the video that the followers walked in the other direction after changing surface. For example if they're walking left, and fall from the ceiling down to the floor, they then walk right.

I struggled with this for ages at the beginning! I totally agree, it looks odd. The thing is, they aren't changing direction (in terms of the in-game logic at least!). For example, when a follower walking rightward "falls up" and starts walking on the ceiling, its direction is still "dir=RIGHT". It's only moving to the left from the player's perspective. Even so, I still struggled with this for a long time but then I realised how many of the puzzle elements come from the combination of direction and gravity so I stuck with it. Smiley

pdrummond
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2021, 11:21:45 AM »

Hi everyone,

I didn't keep this dev-log up to date in the end but just a quick post to say the game is now finished! It's been renamed to Kells and it's available on now Steam, including a free demo.

Checkout the trailer below and let me know what you think!

For more details, check out the steam page here: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1595300/Kells

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic