Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 03:24:24 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsNOiSE :: Robots, scyscrapers, cats, lasers, loads of scratching and biting
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8
Print
Author Topic: NOiSE :: Robots, scyscrapers, cats, lasers, loads of scratching and biting  (Read 30395 times)
mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: August 31, 2009, 11:07:57 AM »

the wires look a bit odd, switching between um...
These two:
Code:
OO       O
 OO       O
  OO       O

Wish I had a better way of saying it.
skyy
Level 2

[ SkyWhy ]

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 04, 2009, 03:48:10 AM »

All test maps are now officially throw into the rubbish bin, the next production state of tilesets has started aaaand the first level is WIP.

I have no idea where kinnas pulls all this creativity, I just do the programming. And thanks for all the comments so far, everythings been taken care of, in a way or another, heh.

So, it's another cup of coffee for me and programming time  Coffee

Doktor_Q
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 04, 2009, 06:41:28 AM »

This... It's like everything I've wanted to make in a game before. Anyway, it looks really awesome, so I'll be following it!
Wander
Level 1

pixels are my only real friends. (and scotch)

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 04, 2009, 08:06:59 AM »

This is great you guys!  Good luck on this one eh?  It looks like it's coming along swimmingly.

-The Horrible Vikings-

-= artist will paint for scotch=-
skyy
Level 2

[ SkyWhy ]

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 04, 2009, 10:40:49 AM »

I have to say it's coming along nicely, I usually work on it during monday to friday and keep weekends off. My usual work time is anywhere from 2-7h per day when I'm on it. Smiley

The tougher the problem the more time I usually spend with it.

Today I went through the trouble of implementint quadtree to optimize the collision detection checks. Since we got a big map with loads of stuff to check collisions against. The quadtree can be built in several different ways, to make normal rectangles of the nodes or with a bit more "spiffier" stuff. I admit I kind of went over the board with that but heyh, it's there now so it can be used or not, depending is the collision checks going to be the bottle neck or not. After implementing the tree I realised that the collision detections in the current level 1 WIP map were not the problem, it was the actual rendering of tiles.

Several layers, small tile size and huge map are not a good combination. So I'll optimise this on monday. I'll collapse all the static layers together and combine n amount of small tiles to create bigger tiles (like adviced before). So it should be a lot faster after the optimisations, basically dramatically decresing the calls to renderer and drawing a lot bigger tiles in one go and covering all the space that is currently viewed. Yay. Let's see how that goes on monday... or during the weekend if I don't have anything else to work on.

Also for top programmers, any good sites / tutorials for me on streaming content for a game? Has nothing to do with this project but I'm interested in looking into it and studying the idea. So basically tutorials/tips/sites on how to eliminate loading screens completely by streaming the content on the fly. Language does not really matter.

That's it for tonight folks, keep your heads up, play games, make games and have fun  Big Laff

Joseph
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: September 04, 2009, 01:40:28 PM »

Hey thanks for the update! I'm really looking forward to playing this game!
skyy
Level 2

[ SkyWhy ]

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 10, 2009, 05:31:42 AM »

I'm in a state of complete personal meltdown... Taking two-three days off to recover from mondays and tuesdays damage  Facepalm  Will tell more about this later.

skyy
Level 2

[ SkyWhy ]

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 11, 2009, 12:04:41 AM »

Oh wow, after two-three days of full on struggling to implement the most epic datastructure to handle the tiles the way I wanted them I got my arse so badly destroyed and in the end... achieved absolutely nothing.

Last night when I was falling asleep it suddenly hit me, I spent 5 minutes doodling the idea on paper and went back to bed and fell asleep instantly. Looked at the paper in the morning(now), spent 3 minutes changing code and boom it works. Not the most elegant solution BUT we got over double the framerate what it was before (it was barely 60 with the full sized WIP level 1). So, I'm happy to go with this. I might be able to squeeze out few more frames for us when I optimise the idea. Now it's just... works. Oh well, now I'm seriously taking the weekend off, heh. Ah, finally solved that. Lol, took me a week and went completely over the board with my ideas. Lesson learned, I guess.   Giggle

Here's a compeltely random screenshot with 'i' jumping to her hearts content after I got it working.

note how annoying I'm being by not showing a full screenshot... I don't want to ruin anything kinnas is working on so hehe

So weekend off, working on it again on monday. Will probably refine the idea to get the few frames more out of it and after that I'll add dashing, slashing and shooting probably. Not sure yet, got so many things open I need to add. But it's making steady and good progress.

It was another week of interesting development. Have a nice weekend guys. Coffee

EDIT #3421312:
kinnas, new release in TEH SECRET room.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 12:30:02 AM by skyy » Logged

neon
Level 10

DOHOHOHOHO

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 11, 2009, 12:06:50 AM »

the art on this is too much

ChevyRay
« Reply #49 on: September 11, 2009, 02:17:44 AM »

Holy moley how have I missed this topic? This looks like a masterpiece in the making!
kinnas
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: September 11, 2009, 07:03:26 AM »

oh shit, the framerate went from 60 to 1197  Shocked

skyy
Level 2

[ SkyWhy ]

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 11, 2009, 10:49:46 PM »

Oh yeah lol, forgot to mention, the machine I'm running the game is kind of a test machine. The "most poo" machine from this household. It's not ANCIENT but a laptop from two years ago or so and it was the "cheapest choice" back then too so... I'll post the specs a bit later.

oh shit, the framerate went from 60 to 1197  Shocked

Kinnas is running a proper machine and the framerate increase was, well, noticable  Durr...?

I can say I'm more than pleased how things ended up going, heh.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 11:58:12 PM by skyy » Logged

Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: September 13, 2009, 05:38:06 AM »

Lookin' sexy. Keep it up Coffee

skyy
Level 2

[ SkyWhy ]

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 14, 2009, 03:45:29 AM »

14/09/09 / Monday
Today I decided to add in the dashing. So.. here she goes (again a small screenie)

Not much to add really, worked on some animation structuring and added the dashing. Continuing tomorrow.

Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: September 14, 2009, 10:39:31 AM »

Shocked

Holy shit where the hell did this sweet li'l thang come from?

Bones
Level 10

3 Months Sober

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: September 14, 2009, 10:45:21 AM »

I demand video gameplay.  Crazy
Cause these tiny screenshots aren't quenching my thirst for this game.
Seriously I can't wait to get my grubby hands on this.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 10:51:45 AM by Bones » Logged

Sit down and relax,
Keeping focus on your breath,
This may take a while.

skyy
Level 2

[ SkyWhy ]

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 14, 2009, 11:19:05 AM »

Haha, thanks guys. I'm seriously sorry for the small screenies, I just don't want to get an over the internet beatdown from kinnas if I go ruining things by showing too much of his AWESOME work so I'm really careful no to... show anything..  Facepalm

Oh well, will give you guys more and actually bigger screenshots and stuff once the tilesets are finished. Since they are in WIP stage and .. things are seriously out of place during this time so.

A video of gameplay is definitely coming lates. When? I have no idea but it's going to be made at some point.

kinnas
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: September 16, 2009, 02:55:24 AM »

Working on the interiors tileset right now. Here's a screengrab from the level editor:

Take note of the clever thing I did there with png transparency. I mapped out a few well arranged gradients from black to transparent and voila, atmosphere! Now if only the bar itself wouldn't be so god damn tacky.

KennEH!
Level 10

"What, me worry!?!"

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 16, 2009, 03:01:01 AM »

My Word! Good lord, that is indeed awesome.

Madness takes its toll please have exact change.
skyy
Level 2

[ SkyWhy ]

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 16, 2009, 03:11:45 AM »

I've been working today on slashing. Implementing the three-combo-slash thingie and running slashes, mid-air slashing and such... The games animation keyframing system is pretty interestinly complex already with all of it's "this animation can be cancelled" and other interesting tweaks to make it work for our game.

Back to work, need to get this finished today. Want to get the slashing done!  Hand Joystick

After that I could post few screenshots where i is slashing .. and slashing Tongue

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic