Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411489 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 03:55:50 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingLeak Elite - A turn-based tactics hacking game
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Leak Elite - A turn-based tactics hacking game  (Read 703 times)
micatrix
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: June 15, 2020, 12:38:35 AM »

Hi all,
I'm working on this game called "Leak Elite", a turn-based tactics game with a strong hacking narrative based on real hackers' chatlogs.

You can find more information on https://leakelite.com/

You can download a demo on gamejolt:
https://gamejolt.com/games/leakelitedemo/505952

I'd like to get some feedbacks on:
- Graphics: I'd like to know if it looks too "cheap" or "amatourish".
- Gameplay: I'd like to know mainly if the goals (how to exploit the bug in each server to make it crash) are clear or not.
- Turn-based (puzzle/tactics/strategy): how should the game be classified?

Obviously any other feedback is welcome.

thank you for your help
« Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 10:57:09 AM by micatrix » Logged

Rl
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2020, 06:55:46 AM »

I tested "Elite Hacker" and here are some feedbacks:

About the narration:
I really like the opening sequence and the way the dialogs are displayed. The characters are unfriendly and arrogant, which gives them personality. I had difficulties to get into in the plot but I think it's normal at the begining. I suppose the plot will intensify over time.

Maybe it would be interesting to request a player input before displaying a message from him in the chat box. It feels a little strange to see my name appears the first time. However, maybe its intentional and this feeling of strangeness is not necessarily unpleasant.

About graphism:
I like them a lot! The atmosphere is oppressive and fits well with the narration. The game board looks fine and I like the shape of the pieces. I like the sound design and the music too. It's somehow relaxing and it contrasts with the rest, I like it.

About ergonomy:
I feel a little bit confuse at the begining. When two Malwares are side by side, it's hard to see the one selected. It would be nice to have others feedback to highlight the selected Malware than just a yellow square around him.

I also several times inadvertently clicked on the icon for loading a function, forcing me to quit the level and start again (and take a penalty for being discovered). It would be nice, as for the level selection icon, to have a cooldown to prevent missclick.
Finally, I think you can add a description of the items and their purpose in the Black Market.

About gameplay:
I like it too! For me, it looks like a puzzle game with tactical elements. I found it original and amusing.
I've got one complaint though: There are implicit rules that the player discover at his expense and can cost a game. It's a little frustrating when one of these rules ruins a savvy plan.

For example: The victory condition was "Followers cannot reach the Malware". So I made my little trap so the Followers cant reach me but since the first Follower was on the spawning point, it prevent other Followers to spawn and since the Follower cant reach me, it never move. I was soft lock and forced to quit the level and take a penalty. There were two implicit rules. The first is that the Followers do not move when they cannot reach their target. The second is that all enemies had to be Followers to validate the victory condition.

It's okay to have implicit rules and it's fun to discover them. But since it cost a penalty to be discovered, it seems a little unfair.

However, when these rules are acquired it's a lot of fun!
micatrix
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2020, 01:22:47 AM »

Hi RI,

first of all thank you very much for spending some time playing the game and for your very detailed and interesting feedback.

I'm taking into account all your observations.

About ergonomy:
I feel a little bit confuse at the begining. When two Malwares are side by side, it's hard to see the one selected. It would be nice to have others feedback to highlight the selected Malware than just a yellow square around him.

You're right, I need to change this.

I also several times inadvertently clicked on the icon for loading a function, forcing me to quit the level and start again (and take a penalty for being discovered). It would be nice, as for the level selection icon, to have a cooldown to prevent missclick.

You're absoulutely right and your solution is very good. I'm asking myself why I haven't thought of it yet.  Facepalm

About gameplay:
I like it too! For me, it looks like a puzzle game with tactical elements. I found it original and amusing.
I've got one complaint though: There are implicit rules that the player discover at his expense and can cost a game. It's a little frustrating when one of these rules ruins a savvy plan.

For example: The victory condition was "Followers cannot reach the Malware". So I made my little trap so the Followers cant reach me but since the first Follower was on the spawning point, it prevent other Followers to spawn and since the Follower cant reach me, it never move. I was soft lock and forced to quit the level and take a penalty. There were two implicit rules. The first is that the Followers do not move when they cannot reach their target. The second is that all enemies had to be Followers to validate the victory condition.

It's okay to have implicit rules and it's fun to discover them. But since it cost a penalty to be discovered, it seems a little unfair.

Yes, I understand your point, that's a bit unfair. Maybe I could give the player a first "free" attempt for each level and start tracking only the next failures.

Thank you for your appreciation and for helping me making the game better.

jbarrios
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2020, 05:55:07 PM »

Hi micatrix,

I played your game

micatrix
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2020, 07:16:36 AM »

Hi Justin,
thank you for your video and your appreciation. I improved the last level after watching your playthrough so it has been very useful to me. Keep up the good work!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic