Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 06:27:52 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsAdult/Educational CompoTerrible Spanish Spaceship [SFW]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Terrible Spanish Spaceship [SFW]  (Read 5851 times)
Nulldorf
Level 0

View Profile
« on: July 02, 2009, 09:16:29 AM »

Terrible Spanish Spaceship

You, unnamed spaceman on a journey to a new galaxy, awake from your 1000 year hypersleep 200 years early and discover you are the sole surviving member of the crew. What happened to your friends? They were murdered by the ship's computer, PACO, driven insane by 800 years of loneliness in the black emptiness of space.

Why has PACO left you alive? His robot voice echoes through the empty halls. It seems he wants something from you. There's just one problem, PACO only speaks Spanish!

In Terrible Spanish Spaceship you must collect everyday objects and feed them to the ship's computer. PACO will tell you what he wants, but only in Spanish. Shoot robot drones to collect scrap metal, which you can feed to terminals for hints to help you identify the color and type of object PACO seeks.

But choose carefully; guess wrong and PACO activates the security system, filling the spaceship with more and more deadly robot drones. Tread carefully, and try not to be driven to suicide by PACO's endless stream of Spanish self pity.

IN Terrible Spanish Spaceship YOU WILL...
*Learn to count to ten in Spanish!
*Learn the Spanish words for primary AND secondary colors!
*Battle an evil computer for your survival!
*Gain insight into the soul crushing despair of one mad machine!

A rough mockup:

This is primarily and educational game, a simple platformer designed to teach some very, very basic Spanish. But I would like to include "Adult" elements. PACO should be terrifying, not kid friendly, and genuinely disturbing. He will speak off and on as you hop around the levels, sometimes saying disturbing things in Spanish, other times playing little audio clips, perhaps pulled from the ship's logs (the crew screaming while he murders them, people sexing it up, arguments, etc). His voice should sound like a Spanish version of the robot in this awesome Russian adaptation of a Ray Bradburys story:

Ideally PACO will come off like a very powerful and scared child. In sifting through the huge amounts of data carried on the ship, he has been exposed to all the terror and cruelty, "adult situations", etc, of the human experience, without a living soul to discuss it with or explain it to him. His hunger for the objects strewn throughout the ship is an attempt to gain understanding of the living world.

That being said, I'm off to the Virgin Islands next week, so I don't know if I'll really have much time to work on this. Also my Spanish is very rusty, so if anyone is fluent I may want some help translating the longer things he says to make sure I don't screw 'em up.

I'm imagining if I'm able to finish at all it will probably only be one level, but ideally the "complete" game would include three or four, with a final boss level where you kill PACO. The player would have to remember the words they learned in the game, then access the right terminals based on what PACO says, bringing down his defenses and allowing the player to shoot him.

Also the items on the level and what PACO asks for will change each game, so it will take many playthroughs to get all the nouns, colors, and numbers. Perhaps the game will track this completion % and tell you when you are a true Spanish Master.

HOORAY!
Impossible
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2009, 09:22:56 AM »

I was hoping this would be an adult game similar to Zero-G Spot but with Spanish chicks.
Canute
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2009, 09:35:36 AM »

Grin Sounds great! You're lost in space and the most thretening, alien thing is a foreign language from earth.

Nice choice graphics too, reminds me a bit of some math-education game for Win 3.11 i played when I was younger.
nihilocrat
Level 10

Full of stars.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2009, 09:45:32 AM »

I love learning foreign languages, so this game sounds awesome.

I made an abortive attempt at making a roguelike that teaches you Simplified Chinese characters once: http://nil.cjb.net/liumang/

Nulldorf
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2009, 10:10:28 AM »

I love learning foreign languages, so this game sounds awesome.

I made an abortive attempt at making a roguelike that teaches you Simplified Chinese characters once: http://nil.cjb.net/liumang/

That screenshot hurts my eyes! Also, it says wang  :D

After Terrible Spanish Spaceship becomes a raging success, you can write the "Chinese Extension Package: Yearning for Learning"
Radix
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2009, 11:56:29 AM »

Damn, you know, that's a really great idea. Not just because I'm trying to learn Chinese but am incredibly lazy (I've been here a year and a half but I can only read like 50 chars and write about 20) and would love something like this, but because it'd seem Chinese characters would lend themselves really well to roguelike graphics if you can understand them.

Though tiling a floor with them in such a bright shade does burn the retinas a bit.
Mikademus
Level 10

The Magical Owl

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2009, 12:01:35 PM »

His voice should sound like a Spanish version of the robot in this awesome Russian adaptation of a Ray Bradburys story:

Holy shit, that was a fabulous short movie!

\\\"There\\\'s a tendency among the press to attribute the creation of a game to a single person,\\\" says Warren Spector, creator of Thief and Deus Ex. --IGN<br />My compilation of game engines for indies
Greender
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2009, 02:16:55 PM »

I can help you with the translations. Spanish is my native tongue, pm me if you're interested.

george
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2009, 06:08:22 PM »

I love this idea! The back story is awesome.
Acid
Level 1

A ninja is you!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2009, 08:36:47 PM »

That is amazing! I love the idea for this game. But it will lose some of its difficulty for me, due to the fact that I know the basics of Spanish. I even started reading a Spanish magazine once! :D
Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2009, 08:41:06 PM »

As someone who knows pretty much zero Spanish, this sounds very cool. Entertaining and Educational! And disturbing?

Will be watching for developments.
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2009, 07:46:59 AM »

I speak spanish. I can help. Yes I can.

AdamAtomic
*BARF*
Level 9

hostess w/ the mostest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2009, 01:58:52 PM »

this also needs to be finished it sounds really great!

cup full of magic charisma
Fulgore
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2009, 04:39:50 PM »

im going to win this fast, really fast
it seems very good
« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 04:51:16 PM by Fulgore » Logged

\"I don\'t mean to sound cold, or cruel, or vicious, but I am\" - Bill Hicks
Nulldorf
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2009, 05:36:54 PM »

If you shoot PACO you will die of loneliness in the deep abyss of space...

Glad to see so many people are interested. This project is not dead! I just got back from vacationing in the Virgin Islands, so obviously I haven't been working on this. My tan, however, is kickass.

I'll post a real update as soon as possible. Also, once I figure out the script I'll be sure to PM one of you guys for help with the translations.

Thanks!
adam a
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2009, 04:50:40 AM »

Sounds like a really cool idea, I really like the deranged Spanish computer. Graphics look smart too, looking forward to playing it.

Spincut
Level 1

Playing the games you make

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2009, 03:04:04 PM »

I can honestly say I have never played an educational game that's scared me. Kids movie? Definitely some scary ones. But no scary edugames (I'd say Number Munchers is more frantic and panicky than scary).

So, with that, I await this game with much anticipation! I hope it terrifies AND teaches me!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic