Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 05:51:53 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralThe ideal time to start a devlog?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: The ideal time to start a devlog?  (Read 1914 times)
Dr. Büni
Level 0

View Profile
« on: June 26, 2020, 02:25:55 AM »

Hello, you all. I really feel like sharing the development progress of my project, but I don't know when or where to start. Does it vary from genre to genre, perhaps? What should I keep in mind before posting a devlog? Like, frequency of updates, how much to share, etc?

Thank you  Tiger
michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2020, 12:46:29 PM »

When to start a devlog isn't an earth shattering decision. Do it if and when you feel like it. You'll get a few comments probably and a few views and that's that.

When do you cross the smallest bridge?

Just make sure you can swim.

Dr. Büni
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2020, 06:03:46 AM »

How do I make sure I can swim, though?
michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2020, 04:27:36 AM »

Its an awkward thing: how do we do anything for the first time? I think I almost drowned the first time I jumped in a pool. The idea of over-preparing and the paradox of trying to get moving but being ready seems to be a running gag in Mel Brooks films.

Different strokes for different folks of course. I happen to be pretty good at just diving into work without too much prep, but maybe that's wrong. Maybe before you do a dev log you should make meticulous notes, design characters, create 50 mock-ups and concept art pieces, write 10 pages of dialogue, and a back story. Maybe because I "Just Go" my dev logs only get a few comments. Some of the logs that are more popular seem to go the way of elaborate preparation. Do they ever get a finished game out of it? That part is unclear. But do you even want to finish you game? I can't know. Even if you say you want to, is that what you want in your heart?

But, since you asked I'm trying to tell you to just pull off the bandaid in one fell stroke instead of belaboring it.

Dr. Büni
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2020, 07:19:53 AM »

I absolutely do want to finish my game. It is funny that you would mention over preparing. I have been working on my game for quite a while, and was honestly not sure if I would even start a devlog. From a marketing perspective there is very little point to do these days, but there are also many other perspectives to keep in mind.

I suppose in my case it is not a "I will wait until I have prepared myself enough to post a devlog", but rather "I have so much done already, is there even a point to make a devlog now? If so, when and how to even start it?"

Thank you for taking some of your precious time to respond to my thread, it certainly helps.  Smiley
michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2020, 06:44:47 PM »

You can't waste my time because it is valueless. Lol.

I'm happy to chat about your project or preparing or whatever, just let me know. We can talk offline too. Sometimes just expressing what you want to do to a sympathetic ear can get you moving in the right direction. I just wish I had more successes under my belt to actually be more sure my advice was worthwhile.

Good luck.

Dr. Büni
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2020, 06:02:24 AM »

Ah, you are helping a lot. I would love to chat more with you, but where? Smiley
michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2020, 10:50:21 AM »

I msged you on twitter if you want to do a DM, or you can email me and we can do an email chain. Whatever works, I'm on all the social platforms. (If you want to call them social lmao)

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic