Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 20, 2024, 01:32:50 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMortal Sin - Gory Hack-N'-Slash Roguelike (STEAM DEMO SOON!)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Mortal Sin - Gory Hack-N'-Slash Roguelike (STEAM DEMO SOON!)  (Read 1545 times)
sonofslobodan
Level 0

View Profile
« on: July 01, 2020, 10:56:33 PM »

Wishlist Mortal Sin on Steam! https://store.steampowered.com/app/1494810/Mortal_Sin/

Update: 3/21/2021, New Art and getting ready for steam demo

Hi all, first time posting here. This my fourth independent game and it's currently a work in progress. Try to maintain your sanity as you explore a randomly generated dungeon with all manner of monsters and jump scares in your path. This game features full momentum based weapon combat and a dismemberment system where you can strategically target an enemy's head or any of its limbs. It's fast paced, action-packed and suspenseful as you never quite know what will be around the corner.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2021, 05:04:37 PM by sonofslobodan » Logged
sonofslobodan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2020, 10:53:22 AM »

Hmm no thoughts at all?

Just added some more jumpscares this weekend that happen at random intervals. Every aspect of the game is randomized from character skills, level layout, enemy placement etc. It's a challenge to make an action game very scary in the true sense of the word. However, my main goal is to use the horror elements to increase tension and heighten the action kind of like Resident Evil 4.
SgtSelkie
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2020, 12:48:36 PM »

I definitely dig the visuals and gameplay of this but the sound effects are pretty terrible. Especially if you're going for a more horror/gory vibe, the sounds of when weapons are connecting with enemies are really tame and boring. You need big, chunky, bass-y and loud sound effects. If I recall correctly in one of those free GDC sound effect packs they had a Gore section that was really high quality.
sonofslobodan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2020, 03:01:17 PM »

Thank you for the feedback, the sounds are all placeholders now you are absolutely right then need to be replaced with something not so cheap
sonofslobodan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2020, 09:36:24 AM »

New video showing latest progress. Completely rigged arms, new enemies, more items and smoother swinging system included among many other features. The first tile set of the game (dungeon) is complete and will be moving on to the cave section next. Going to experiment with a different style of randomized levels for the cave where its split into large pre-made pieces arranged in a somewhat linear or "snaking" fashion. By contrast, the dungeon is more maze-like and less linear in nature. However, for an action game the straightforward approach may fit better or perhaps both styles can co-exist peacefully and provide more variety. Stay tuned for more updates and steam early access release!
sonofslobodan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2020, 06:35:51 PM »

New video showing latest progress! Streamlined, smooth game play with animation canceling and free-flowing combat. Embracing the action RPG with powerful equipment and weapons that will grant your character extra skills and power. If you are interested in playing Mortal Sin feel free to direct message me.
Foxwarrior
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2020, 09:41:40 PM »

You hack at that guy like fifteen times before any of his limbs fly off, and then remove once per strike when he's already down. If you're going to talk up your dismemberment I want to remove a limb with every successful hit, and then see the enemies Black Knight it up in return.
sonofslobodan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2020, 08:59:11 PM »

I hear you but that's literally impossible to balance if one hit removes limbs. There are examples also of hitting the head where its an instant kill if you hit it a few times (faster than hitting the guy normally). Maybe there is a middle ground also not sure what you mean by Black Knight it up
sonofslobodan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2020, 09:36:02 PM »

Ah I understand the reference. If the enemy is missing an arm they will attack wildly. If they are missing a leg then they can only walk. Decapitation is instant death. The enemies / limbs just have too much health currently though so this is is not very apparent, I just tried reducing it and it feels much better. Thanks for the feedback
sonofslobodan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2020, 08:51:08 PM »

December update: New cave level, new enemies, new spells, new controls and a new perk system! Added a new video at the top to reflect the new changes.

Dismemberment is now a much more pronounced part of the gameplay as it changes enemy behavior depending on the limb removed. Removing the legs will make enemies crawl towards you, and removing their head will cause them to flail wildly.
vdapps
Level 5

Head against wall since 2013

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2020, 02:34:49 PM »

Definitely gory and fast paced. Gfx is nice and game mechanics also seems working good. Looks like quality work! Hand Thumbs Up Left

Btw, I was working on gore system in 'SoF: Payback' back in the days when I was in professional game dev. Ahh, that was times.

As gore hack'n'slash will be your main theme, my opinion is that you can still tune gore a bit up.

sonofslobodan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2020, 05:01:59 PM »

Definitely gory and fast paced. Gfx is nice and game mechanics also seems working good. Looks like quality work! Hand Thumbs Up Left

Btw, I was working on gore system in 'SoF: Payback' back in the days when I was in professional game dev. Ahh, that was times.

As gore hack'n'slash will be your main theme, my opinion is that you can still tune gore a bit up.

Thank you for you kind words. I completely agree I would like to make it even more gruesome with gibs and stuff flying all over the place. Will probably be a polish step a little further down the line still gotta do some more content but like you said the core systems / gameplay are there.
Lares Yamoir
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2021, 11:59:57 AM »

Looks good Smiley
I feel like the animation overall feels a bit floaty. The weapons don't seem to have any weight.

sonofslobodan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2021, 05:05:51 PM »

Hi all, been busy with work and updating the game, but made some significant changes since the last time I posted. The biggest is I went from a realistic style to more comic-book stylized graphics but am still maintaining the horror atmosphere. Steam demo is coming very soon so I just made a new trailer for it! A bit nervous but also excited to get feedback from people and will keep you posted when the demo hits.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic