Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411428 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 12:05:15 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDocklands
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Docklands  (Read 2225 times)
robertogracia
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: July 02, 2009, 10:09:49 PM »

Hi all,

Just wanted to share some progress on a small demo I am making:

Cooments are welcome. Cheers.
sereneworx
Level 10

What a terrific duvet!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2009, 11:51:06 PM »

That looks very appealing, although some of the assets don't seem to be part of the world.

I'd love to see more.
HannesP
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2009, 12:18:39 AM »

Yay, dirty harbour environments! Modern games contain way too little of that. Looking forward to seeing more!
mcccclean
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2009, 08:58:09 PM »

I agree, the style is awesome!

I think you just need to pay attention to light sources... the floor tiles are lit from the left while the containers are lit from the right. I think that's what serene was getting at (also one container doesn't cast a shadow at all)

Compliment sandwich closing: keep it up, looks promising :D
robertogracia
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2009, 11:58:04 PM »

Thanks for the comments.
It is true that the image was hastily put together. This was an old image I created in 3-4 hours to pitch a concept for a multi online game for mobiles (not my idea), but then kept it with the idea of creating at some point a single player survival game.
The idea is to play in a city of which the docklands is one of the boundaries. I have been revamping the graphics a bit, separating the layers as it was all collapsed and starting to look at the code to make it all move.
Need to finish a couple of warehouses and I'll post some progress.

Thanks,

Rob
robertogracia
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2009, 05:21:25 PM »

As I did this originally for mobiles it was way too small so I repixeled the characters and started creating assets in this new res. Hopefully the characters are still sketchy enough.

Cheers,

Rob
Bones
Level 10

3 Months Sober

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2009, 05:56:58 PM »

First thing is first, your characters aren't following the isometric rules of perspective.
I don't like the mixing of pixel sizes at the moment so it's hard to judge.
I like how the crates look, they are well done, could use some graffiti maybe or stickers.

Sit down and relax,
Keeping focus on your breath,
This may take a while.

Μarkham
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2009, 07:22:45 PM »

Wow, from the first screen shot, I had thought your characters had been a pair of medieval merchants and their hired black-belt bodyguards.

robertogracia
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2009, 09:06:24 PM »

Here is a piece of background. Still working on the workflow for asset creation as they are loads even for a short demo.

Thanks for the comments, I hear you. It will be nice to have some black belt karate experts thrown in there.. Hand Metal Left
BadgerManufactureInc
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2009, 08:07:46 AM »

I'm a big fan of isometric games, and I find that the isometric style is very good at evoking extreme feelings of openness or claustrophobia.

Your background in architecture has no doubt given you a really good ability to produce a large number of assets quicker than those who have not had your experience, which stands you in  good stead as you build up your library.

I'll be interested to see how this shapes up, and hope that you stay in touch as it does so.

Corny Laugh
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic