Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1385190 Posts in 66327 Topics- by 58809 Members - Latest Member: foggermachine

November 28, 2020, 06:19:56 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsTourney - The medieval tournament simulator
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Tourney - The medieval tournament simulator  (Read 454 times)
Tusky
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: July 03, 2020, 12:08:48 PM »

Hello! I’ve been working on a project for a while now and wanted to share it with the community!

Tourney is a sim game which will allow you to build up a medieval tournament ground, attract nobles & peasants, invite various knights and watch them compete, or just get everyone drunk.

I'll post more updates and pics and things on here as they happen.

Game Features

• Build your tourney ground. Event areas for jousting, melee and archery; and buildings such as apothecaries, blacksmiths, stands, ale wagons, hog roasts and more
  • Choose your champion. Build their skills. Buy them the best armour and weapons.
  • Fight your way to the top and win the tournament
  • 13 playable houses with unique heraldry, traits and heroes
  • Keep the peasants and nobility happy to keep the gold rolling in
  • Hire staff members such as jesters and troubadours
  • Lots of parody and hidden references!

Who is working on it?

Programming and art is being done by me. I’ve done a couple of games before, the most recent one is Escape from BioStation, a comedy about a robot that finds a magic squirrel that enables him to shoot acorns at other robots. Other than that are a few talented freelancers I've worked with in the past

More Links

Follow on Twitter! https://twitter.com/TuskyGames
Website http://www.tuskygames.com/

« Last Edit: November 05, 2020, 08:18:55 AM by Tusky » Logged
Tusky
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2020, 06:20:03 AM »

It's time for my first update! so here are the things that have been ticked off recently...

Medieval Gifts

Before peasants would turn up, wander around and buy ale. Well now when they use shop outlets they’ll also buy a small souvenir! Below is a screeny. Most of them seem to have purchased a little novelty knight helmet. (The hat was decided by a Twitter poll)

Prices

Initially the shop outlets had a dual purpose. In order to buy items for your house knights, you’d have to place the right outlet. E.g. A carpenter would be needed to get a new lance etc
In practice however this did not really work well, so all that stuff is now accessible from the context menu for the knight themselves and can be bought whenever a player wants.

Instead outlets all have had some different options added. The main one is price management. Hopefully people will find that pretty familiar from other sim games.
In addition to that there is also a way to see what effect meddling with pricing has. So now on the main finances menu are some super exciting* finance menu graphs, along with good / bad thoughts visitors may have if they find things expensive or cheap.

Sounds

I’ve implemented a cool dynamic audio controller that works well. I’ve sourced some noises for horses galloping, trotting, snorting and that kind of thing. The crowd are quite the bunch of chatter boxes that clap and react to jousting.
To create the crowd noise I just used a few recordings of myself saying gibberish (a la sims). I have to say it’s quite strange to hear the crowd of myselves all muttering away to each other. I’m aiming to source some third party voices before I end up going crazy.

Unless that already happened? *jibber*

That's all for now. More soon Smiley

* If for some weird reason you don’t happen to find financial reports exciting, then here please read: “boring”

Tusky
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2020, 01:23:12 AM »

Update for August!

Stable

I need to allow for 16 knights - so I came up with a quick way to invite them, you build a stable! This model took quite a long time but happy with the results.

Multiple venues

After some thought on how multiple event areas would work I came up with a plan.
Essentially now you can have 16 knights, and then you set off 2 groups of 8 at the same time. You choose an event venue for each group out of those that you've built. So for example you can have 2 jousting tilts, then set off 2 groups on each one. You could do all 16 bouts on one tilt if want some reason. When both groups are complete, the finalist from each group can square off in a final - but only if each group is doing the same sort of event (not if one is doing archery and the other doing melee - that wouldn't be very fair!). I need to tidy up the menu a little but it looks something like this:

New area

I've begun the enironment design for the second of four areas that will be in the finished thing. A hilltop castle in Avalon. It will be the location for levels 2 and 3, and I think is going to look drop dead awesome. I'll give a sneak of it in the weeks and months ahead as the models are completed.

Testing

level 1 was tested by a human other than me for the first time. There weren't any bugs really, since I've spent so long furiously squashing them over the last few weeks. The testing did raise an issue with the clearness jousting minigame, so I came up with a simpler, even better method of determining tactics.

Next

- I'm going to add the melee arena and mechanic for determining the winner by the next update
Tusky
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2020, 05:55:32 AM »

Time for another update...

Avalon Castle

Levels 2 and 3 will take place in a clifftop castle in Avalon. The environment models for this are nearing completion, here is how it's looking at the moment:

Track

The work on the Tourney sound track is officially underway. Here's a little clip of the track which will be heard in the first level: https://soundcloud.com/tuskygames/tourney-track-one

Testage

Although not officially in alpha or anything, I have done a few tests on the first level. I like to get feedback as early as possible, to save having to rework anything too massively later on. The play throughs did bring up a few new todos which I have broadly whittled through. Notable among them are a help menu, and a button on building context menus allowing you to relocate them.

Melee

As the player moves thorough the game - a number of new structures get unlocked (unsurprisingly). One that I have recently finished is a building that allows for sword fighting. Here's a small demo, which also showcases a new knight model dressed in "Paladin" armour (working title)

Next

- Nobles
- Jewellery stand
Tusky
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2020, 07:58:23 AM »

Aaaaaand the Tourney Kickstarter is live!

It's been a busy few weeks - getting to launch, but now you can help support the game by backing and bag a cool reward or 2!  Smiley

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tusky/tourney-the-medieval-tournament-simulator?ref=3aec4p

The project has actually been up for about 2 and a half days, and has got a fair amount towards the goal, but it's a long way to finish line yet! The support so far has been awesome. I’d like to say a massive thanks all who have pledged, shared or otherwise helped out on the socio meeds (Every Hand Thumbs Up Left or retweet or share is really appreciated)

It feels like a bit of a juggling act - balancing promo, answering questions and everything else (Love an excuse to use that gif!!!).

I'll still try to share updates here as well, but in the meantime: thanks again

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic