Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 02:09:06 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsAdult/Educational CompoLeaders of Men
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Leaders of Men  (Read 2893 times)
Danmark
Level 7

View Profile
« on: July 03, 2009, 04:22:56 AM »

Leaders of Men is a simple quest for political dominion. You may use persuasion, wealth, or coercion in your attempts to win the people. However, there are anti-intellectual, anti-wealth, and pacifist individuals, who will be particularly turned away by certain actions.

When you've gained a supporter, their unique resources are integrated with your party. Need some muscle? Target skilled fighters for assimilation. Not enough funds? Find some rich people. Examples of possible actions are "hold rally" "give speech", "poster campaign", "throw party", "hire", "bribe", "attack", "guard", and "riot" (among others). Of course, you act primarily through orders to your supporters.

You are pitted against ambitious NPCs who lead other parties, using the same means as yourself...
It sounds alot like Republic: The Revolution, but it's quite different when the whole design (finished for now) is cosidered. Here [was] a crappy proto-skeletal screenshot just to show I'm actually implementing it:

Unfortunately I haven't programmed in months, but I'm grinding along fine.

EDIT- Ah, forgot to mention, there will be sex elements. Sex is your means of recruiting your earliest members, and "love bomb" is one possible action.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2009, 05:29:03 PM by Baiame » Logged
muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2009, 04:38:41 AM »

Sounds interesting, please do continue.
Danmark
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2009, 10:11:49 AM »

^ Thanks for the interest, will do! I have nothing but free time until the end of the compo period.

So I was about to implement the display of the list of people in the player's current area, but I needed some names. I figured some sort of random generation was the only way to go, evne if just random pairings of prescribed surnames and forenames. But that would be no easier than generating them from sounds. So that's what I did. Here's part of what the machine spat out:

vivitsi laviye, zuvizo tsobola, tsokekode vobogi, vadazoga tsazela, dezitsizo doyodago, gogiku voluzide, zulibagi tsideda, lizali tsakavibe, yobaze kideke, zudedotsi yeleya, livabe vitsade, goziboka tsekoka, yevoza votsoya, vikozo tsudiyetsi, yotsizoga betsuya, zadoletsu bakezi, gitsetsizi bobedeya, latsozi bezokuki, veboli delovutsi, givaki zigadoku, bayeva luladodi, kogili kukegaba, lobolede loloyabo, tsoluyezo bozeluga, kobozo kitsode, dodida bekuga.

Obviously it would benefit from a superior RNG than the SCL rand() function. And I probably need to assign unique probabilities to each sound. Still, it's good enough for now, and I'm surprisingly pleased with how the collection of sounds works together, as I intentionally distanced it from any language I know of. Back to ye ole' grindstone.

EDIT- Okay, turns out the engine I was using (Truevision 3D) is horrendously sub-ideal for text, which kind of defeats the purpose. And I didn't want to waste time library-hunting. So now Leaders of Men is graphical, though it remains an abstract representation. Hopefully I can still get it finished in time. Here's another proto-skeletal (I had to uproot much of what I had) shot:

« Last Edit: July 04, 2009, 08:29:14 AM by Baiame » Logged
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2009, 10:07:22 PM »

Intriguing. Wizard

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Zaknafein
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2009, 11:17:50 PM »

Ohoh, a TV3D logo! Nice to see another user.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic