Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411504 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 04:48:36 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesBoxed Games
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Boxed Games  (Read 2485 times)
umiedotre9
TIGBaby

View Profile
« on: July 06, 2020, 09:17:54 PM »

Hello, i am old school i suppose and even though i am long time user of steam, i wish i could have had a box version of the games i own.
Its not necessarily about nostalgic feeling but more about actually owning a game and getting something in return.

Today, most games come with manuals in digital form. Well, i suppose thats great. But i have always the feeling that games before had printed manuals with other stuff boxed in it for the same price. And i am not talking about sales prices.

Anyway, as far as i see most new games have only boxes for special editions now. To me, i think we as gamers lost something really precious. Now everything is online and DRM is the norm.

Why did we PC gamers bought into that?

Seems like a rant but i really miss the old days with their boxed games. Looks pretty too on shelf. If i can, i try to get the boxed version.

Thanks for reading.
michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2020, 11:05:30 PM »

I do really miss the feel of putting a cartridge in a game system and having it load up almost instantly.

ThemsAllTook
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2020, 05:32:10 AM »

Unfortunately, this is another of those copied-directly-from-Reddit posts from a new user that's going to get spam links edited into it once it gets replies. I've preemptively removed this user's ability to do that.

Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2020, 08:25:09 AM »

I'm so glad I'll never have to deal with optical media again

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2020, 10:22:40 AM »

I did hate the switch to CDs when it happened. I often say that DVD is the superior format but I keep getting all kinds of glitches when I try to play them. I would love it if you could buy a movie on a flash drive.

Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2020, 01:36:09 PM »

DVD was a horrible format for movies though. Unskippable ugly menus and other forced ★multimedia★ style shit that already felt outdated at the time to anyone who had used a computer in the past 10 years. As a storage medium to succeed CDs it also felt like kind of a joke to only get about a 6x upgrade 20 years later.

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2020, 03:31:55 AM »

Big fan of boxing games personally, my favorite is "punched-out" on the "nintendo entertainment system"
michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2020, 05:09:10 AM »

I'm a big fan of tetris which is the best boxing game.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic