Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 07:07:30 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsAnnouncement of a new project called Singular Matter
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Announcement of a new project called Singular Matter  (Read 8059 times)
Sp1ke
Level 0

Mike

View Profile WWW
« on: July 08, 2020, 07:01:21 AM »

My name is Mike and I’m creator and worker of one-man team called Spikeprojects. I love to create graphics, animations and games.

I would like to announce my new project called Singular Matter. This is a short visual novel about the fate of three scientists experiencing very disturbing phenomena after an accident in the Alternative Energy Research Institute. You play as one of them. As the story unravels you dive into the dark recesses of the human psyche, post-apocalyptic world, and the horrible truth about the universe.

Here are some screenshots:
« Last Edit: August 30, 2020, 03:31:04 AM by Sp1ke » Logged

Dr. Büni
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2020, 09:09:03 AM »

I love the artwork! Tell us more about your project.
Sp1ke
Level 0

Mike

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2020, 09:01:32 AM »

Thank you for appreciating my artwork. It took me a lot of time to achieve the desired effect.

Singular Matter is a science-fiction visual novel made with Tyranobuilder engine: https://tyranobuilder.com/

Throughout the game, you can see the surroundings through the protagonist's eyes, who suffers from derealization, which causes the objects you see to be flattened, without depth (this also affected the visual style of the game).

In 1920 Albert Einstein discovered the General Theory of Relativity, which was to be the first step to the theory of everything. After some time of admiration for the simplicity, elegance and beauty of this theory, clouds began to gather. A little later quantum physics was discovered, which absolutely did not match the general theory of relativity.

Around 2040 In Alternative Energy Research Institute was discovered another state of mater called Singular Exotic Matter. This kind of matter was in the stage of testing. From a theoretical point of view, it was a matter that could connect traditional (baryonic) matter to the quantum realm and then create the theory of everything.
Our protagonist along with his friends went to retrieve Singular Matter from the accelerator - it was a simple and routine procedure. Unfortunately, this time several key factors failed at the same time causing disaster.

ternbasedcombat
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2020, 09:52:33 AM »

Dude.

This handrawn art style is FIRE!

It looks so good!

I know you are a one man team, but do you have need of a composer?

I would love to write a track for your game to show you what I can do for you!

Let me know!

TM
Sp1ke
Level 0

Mike

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2020, 06:07:03 AM »

Hi,

I sent you a private message, but I don't know if you received it.
I would be very glad if you wrote a track for the project.
The best one would be something scary (horror-like). Smiley

Mike

Sp1ke
Level 0

Mike

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2020, 06:20:37 AM »

Here is Trailer of SINGULAR MATTER

Sp1ke
Level 0

Mike

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2020, 06:10:52 AM »

The trailer of Singular Matter on youtube

« Last Edit: July 28, 2020, 06:28:12 AM by Sp1ke » Logged

Sp1ke
Level 0

Mike

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2020, 06:15:37 AM »

Singular matter's grim world

World of the singular matter is post-apocalyptic, uninviting, and grim place to live. This is caused by multiple factors. The greatest problem was the eruption of Yellowstone volcano in USA. Though it was not so devastating as scientists predicted, it caused a lot of deaths, and the death toll is climbing. Many places in California are now unhabitable. This caused a lot of dwellers to move to the east coast or leave the country for good.

It disrupted weather patterns around the globe, making some places freezing cold and other extremely hot.

Melting permafrost caps of Antarctica are releasing substantial amounts of ammonia, which also further speeds global warming.

Explosion of Yellowstone

Los Angeles

Sawwar

Predicting the impending doom NWO of united Europe decided to implement far-reaching steps.
Benefiting very hard rock deposits Under Alternative Energy Research Institute (AERI) they decided to build a self-sustaining enormous cavity where thousands of residents could take shelter.
It is a miracle of modern technology. Other cavities are being constructed in other parts of Europe.
The cavity has enough sunshine provided by cleverly constructed mirrors and systems that strengthen the light which enables an appropriate day /night cycle.

Cavity

« Last Edit: August 09, 2020, 04:59:21 AM by Sp1ke » Logged

Sp1ke
Level 0

Mike

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2020, 07:24:21 AM »

I love the artwork! Tell us more about your project.

Hello,

Creating artwork was no simple task. A substantial part of the pictures was taken by me. Then different colleges were made. All pictures used as backgrounds which weren't mine were found by google labeled “free to use with modification”. After collecting enough pictures to tell the story, I gave it a certain style. The sketchy world we see is the world which the protagonist (Jim) would see through his own eyes. Because he suffers from derealization which causes constant impression that everything around is like 2D drawing and it’s fake which well corresponds with the player point of view.

Then I decided to go through a long process of trial and error to receive the desired visual effect.
Almost all pictures went through colored chalk script (Paint Shop Pro script), then I fiddled with different sliders to give each picture accurate mood, and then I used AKVIS Sketch, to give it final sketchy look. Then I worked in Infinite Painter on a tablet to sharpen the edges. If you have more question feel free to ask  Smiley 
« Last Edit: August 09, 2020, 05:03:10 AM by Sp1ke » Logged

Sp1ke
Level 0

Mike

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2020, 02:59:29 AM »

Singular Matter is influenced by both genres of science fiction, Hard Science Fiction, and Soft Science fiction.
Hard science fiction is a category of science fiction characterized by concern for scientific accuracy and logic
while Soft Science fiction explores the "soft" sciences, and especially the social sciences (for example, anthropology, sociology, or psychology), rather than engineering or the "hard" sciences (for example, physics, astronomy, or chemistry).

Hard Science Fiction

Since a long time ago physicists were in pursuit of discovering so-called EXOTIC MATTER. They are hypothetical particles and states of matter that have "exotic" physical properties that would violate known laws of physics, for example, a particle having a negative mass.

Soft Science fiction

This is a breakthrough made by three outstanding scientists. The problem with Singular Matter is mainly for the government of the United States of Europe. The government is feeling pressure from activists to build new kind safe nuclear reactors. But haste is not a good idea, especially if you don't know what you are doing and what kind of nightmare you can bring to the world. The singular matter has unforeseen body and brain affecting effects. What is more baffling, everyone exposed to this kind of matter reacts differently.   
« Last Edit: August 09, 2020, 05:05:05 AM by Sp1ke » Logged

Jayesh
Level 0

Solo Indie Game Dev

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2020, 05:20:57 AM »

Your visual style is very good. I think the overall effect of the game will enhance further if you chose some special font for the text. Maybe comic book style fonts or some serif fonts. Looking forward to the release. All the best!

Sp1ke
Level 0

Mike

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2020, 05:55:01 AM »

Thanks, I will think about it Smiley

Sp1ke
Level 0

Mike

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2020, 02:40:17 AM »

Where to go? I want to piss very much, but what if there are ghosts in the toilet? Evil Well, hello there! Noir

« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 03:01:00 AM by Sp1ke » Logged

Sp1ke
Level 0

Mike

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2020, 06:19:37 AM »

Hey!
I am considering changing fonts of descriptions, dialogues, the inner voice of the protagonist in my project. I cannot decide, so I need some help. I'm thinking about something more interesting and characteristic than plain Arial. I downloaded some fonts and applied them, but I'm still not sure which fits best to the overall design of the game and if it's easy to read, not taking a strain on eyes and repulsing gamers from reading it.

Here are some examples I'm considering. Which one would you suggest? Or maybe you have a different proposition? Your feedback is very important to me.  Smiley 

Proposition no. 1

Proposition no. 2

Proposition no. 3

Proposition no. 4

GoodyPundit
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2020, 06:21:24 PM »

Wow, this is one of a kind games , the artwork really unique Addicted

Join the Discord channel : https://discord.gg/fXqHbQQvnc
Jayesh
Level 0

Solo Indie Game Dev

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2020, 08:01:16 PM »

All are better than current Arial.

No. 4 is plain standard serif. But I like the other three. Each has unique character, you may know better which of them represents character of your game. If there's lot of text to read in the game, also consider readability over long time.

Sp1ke
Level 0

Mike

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2020, 08:55:10 AM »

Wow, this is one of a kind games , the artwork really unique Addicted

Thanks, it took some time to develop characteristic style.

After some time I think that font presented on screen no. 3 would be the best. Maybe I will make it a little bigger.

Sp1ke
Level 0

Mike

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2020, 10:15:10 AM »

After very long research and using the most powerful comps in the world thanks to (Intel, IBM, and such). I decided that the best font for my project would be: "Chizzler SemiBold".

Tell me what do you think?
« Last Edit: August 15, 2020, 07:29:42 PM by Sp1ke » Logged

Sp1ke
Level 0

Mike

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2020, 12:31:35 PM »

Singular Matter as a soft-science fiction

On the other side Singular Matter raises serious topics concerning aftermath of such occurrence. Problems such as lack of mental health, the difficulty in distinguishing truth from hallucinations, ask whether there is an objective reality, whether our world is fully real. Human behavior is governed by social constructs and meaning collapses on the weight of Lovecraftian unknown. Reality won’t be the same after what has happened. Game asks questions whether each of us lives on the same plane of reality or whether the worlds are somehow separate and whether these planes intertwine in certain circumstances. Whether the universe is hermetic or there are cracks in space-time through which a lot more can be seen.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2020, 11:53:24 AM by Sp1ke » Logged

Jayesh
Level 0

Solo Indie Game Dev

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2020, 05:50:12 AM »

Singular Matter as a soft-science fiction

Using a plot going like this: In Alternative Energy Research Institute occurs accident concerning particle accelerator causes great confusion. This kind of starting sci-fi games, books and films is very common, and it is as well… cliché. Then monsters from another dimensions attack and bla… bla… bla… Smiley

I like the visual richness of this game, however the verbosity of text turns me off. Going by the text in the screenshots you have posted, I see lack of exposition.

Don't state facts - like what happened to the world. Don't directly explain how something works. It would be far more appealing if two characters were conversing about some mundane event in their everyday life in this fantasy universe, but some hints in that conversation make me imagine the state of the world and what might have happened.

The best way to ruin a fantasy world is to explain how it works. Let the player/reader come to the explanation on their own. Feed them clues. This also creates possibilities for multiple interpretations, making the piece more interesting.

On the other side Singular Matter raises serious topics concerning aftermath of such occurrence. Problems such as lack of mental health, the difficulty in distinguishing truth from hallucinations, ask whether there is an objective reality, whether our world is fully real. Human behavior is governed by social constructs and meaning collapses on the weight of Lovecraftian unknown. Reality won’t be the same after what has happened. Game asks questions whether each of us lives on the same plane of reality or whether the worlds are somehow separate and whether these planes intertwine in certain circumstances. Whether the universe is hermetic or there are cracks in space-time through which a lot more can be seen.

It's great that you have this philosophy behind the story you are trying to tell. But your story will be most appealing, when players figure it out only at the end and on their own (without any character explicitly stating any of this).

Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic