Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 01:42:39 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSolar Knight - GBC inspired little adventure
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Solar Knight - GBC inspired little adventure  (Read 1428 times)
datagoblin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: July 08, 2020, 03:30:38 PM »

Solar Knight is a puzzle adventure game about saving a fantasy land that’s been cursed by the moon.

You play as Luca, a young angler from the village of Ryoka who has been unexpectedly tasked to save the world. Solve ancient riddles, outsmart your foes and explore a world full of danger and secrets, one step at a time.

mechanics

Solar Knight is a step-based adventure game, with sort of a roguelike approach to movement and combat: everything in the game world advances by one step whenever you make a move. This plays into both puzzle solving and goblin whacking. You must tread carefully and consider how to best navigate each situation to avoid being put in a bad spot.

A night and day cycle further complicates things, causing fallen enemies to respawn more powerful than before, and with a renewed thirst for hero blood.

Besides basic swordfighting, Luca can also make use of a collection of other adventuring gear to interact with the world in a variety of ways. An old lantern, goblin-made bombs, magic rods - all can be employed to fend off enemies or change the environment in cool and surprising ways. Just equip an item and bump into stuff to see what happens!

features

Minimalist rogue-like gameplay, where every step counts;
An endearing fantasy setting with quirky little characters;
A slightly creepy story about prophecies, betrayal and necromancy;
Crisp and blocky pixel-art: a modern take on the aesthetic of GBC games of old;
Groovy bleeps and bloops by chiptune composers Mark Sparling and Lewmoth;
Four unique regions with their own fauna, dungeons and obtainable gear;
A mystery of celestial proportions.

project status

Solar Knight is well under way in terms of development. Most of the core engine is already in place, and I'm working on squashing bugs and pumping out content right now. I've also scored a modest deal with a small-ish publisher, Crescent Moon Games, which means now I HAVE to ship a game!

To get a bit into specifics, so far I have: all of the dungeon items programmed; somewhat robust NPC, quest, cutscene and boss battle systems; a growing world with a full dungeon experience and some side content; and a bunch of disjointed puzzle and gauntlet rooms that are being slowly integrated into the main game.

If no other world-ending event takes place (which is a big "if", to be fair), I'm expecting a release late 2020.

Semi-regular project updates and gifs are posted to my twitter page @vmenezio.

closed beta

Right now, I'm trying to set up a second round of my closed beta test through the Solar Knight's Discord server.

Feel free to join if you want a sneak peek of the current build of the game, or just feel like helping out!

Dr. Büni
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2020, 04:48:40 PM »

Oh my gosh that is such a cute game o:
cynicalsandel
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2020, 08:40:20 PM »

cute! posting to follow Hand Thumbs Up Left

vcesauron
TIGBaby

competitive tea sipper

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2020, 10:05:09 PM »

this looks so so good! already signed up for the closed beta.

Ashedragon
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2020, 05:37:41 AM »

Ooo I've always loved that style of chunky pixels.  Definitely following this!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic