Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411595 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: FightingFoxGame

May 07, 2024, 04:13:47 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsChiccoo and Life (previously Phantom Behind) - Stealth top down 2D game
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Chiccoo and Life (previously Phantom Behind) - Stealth top down 2D game  (Read 7680 times)
Jayesh
Level 0

Solo Indie Game Dev

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2020, 10:22:18 AM »

Who will be enemies of the raccoon?
Lumberjacks!

Jayesh
Level 0

Solo Indie Game Dev

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2020, 05:18:40 AM »

This is going to be the central action that the player will do throughout the game - Knock out enemy from behind. This is the first implementation of it. What do you think?

Did a bunch of things this week:

* Tried to standardize the sprite dimensions in the context of the world. Assuming 1 unit in Unity = 1m, then using pixels-per-unit factor on sprites, I decided what should be the size of my spritesheet. It turned out to be very small. The enemy character in above gif was drawn using those dimensions. Probably I'll have to uprez it in future. But I'm trying to standardize the layout of spritesheet, so that I can update character look in future without have to redo animations
* I re-did the character rigs. Unity's 2D animation package is useful if you want to animate a shape of 2d sprite (by generated mesh geometry on it that's weighed by bones). However it's inconvenient to use in other areas. So I've come up with a hybrid rig. I use the bones for two sprites - the raccoon's body and tail. The rest are just regular sprites without bones.
* Did the crouch-walk animation for Sneaccoo (my pet name for the raccoon hero) - seen in above gif.

Couple of days ago I came across a great article via TIGsource, about how to get indie game done.
https://indiegamedev.net/2020/02/01/getting-games-done-in-2020/
I found some very useful advice in it that I hadn't heard before, especially the 5-1-1 paradigm. It was good to hear about importance of one rest day per week, because I've ignored it so many times and ended up burning out.

That article also motivated me to write a concrete GDD. So I'm writing a full design document for Phantom Behind. I haven't yet figured out full scope of the game yet, but I've some plan. I want to get something out there for real players to play and give feedback; yet I don't want to rush a WIP-looking product. I've already released the prototype for Phantom Behind on newgrounds (which looks nothing like w the art work you see in these posts). In that version I implemented all stealth mechanisms I will need in this game and experimented with handling of the character in 2D top down setup. The final game will be primarily aimed at PC and consoles. But it'll take long to reach the quality that's expected of even Early access indie titles on Steam these days. So instead of choosing an arbitrary milestone date for it, I've broken down my vision of the game into Chapters. Each chapter will be a mission and should take 1-2 months of development. Initial chapters will be released on Newgrounds and maybe Itch for early feedback. They will be polished game missions, but will be short in length (may be 10 minutes of gameplay).

I've written down details of Chapter 1 for now. I'll share more about it maybe in next devlog. I'll release this chapter on newgrounds, hopefully in a month or two. I may post private builds on my Discord. I like the feedback I've gotten there so far. Let's see how it goes.

Cheers!

Sp1ke
Level 0

Mike

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2020, 07:41:42 AM »

I've got more ideas about enemies. They could be campers who litter (but also provide food), hunters and for a boss I propose a very infamous minister of environment (in my country who liked to hunt in a very disgusting way)  Evil

The animation of knocking out lumberjack is hilarious  Cheesy

Jayesh
Level 0

Solo Indie Game Dev

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2020, 08:15:11 AM »

I've got more ideas about enemies. They could be campers who litter (but also provide food), hunters and for a boss I propose a very infamous minister of environment (in my country who liked to hunt in a very disgusting way)  Evil
Ha ha. Good suggestions.

The animation of knocking out lumberjack is hilarious  Cheesy
Thanks

diegzumillo
Level 10

This avatar is so old I still have a some hair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2020, 09:32:28 PM »

Raccoon stealth! Yes!

Seriously though, I believe this sort of thing is very easy market these days. Even though it's just dressing at the end of the day, a game (or anything, really) needs a hook to draw attention to itself.

I start with an idea for a new game that I like. I implement few mechanics of the gameplay and get the basic loop working. I release this prototype for people to play, they like it for what it is. Now I decide to expand this prototype into something that can become a "legit" game - that is big enough to be published on Steam. At this stage I start thinking about the visual style, a narrative theme if not a full story line, different possible game mechanics, audio landscape, consideration for different input methods, platform choices, and so on. In each of these categories there are so many choices to make. By applying the filter of my taste, I can narrow down on some of the choices, but still there are so many possibilities. A steampunk look or a dungeon map, futuristic setup or a rustic environment, organic humanoid characters or mecha, first person or third person POV, support mobile or not,... The list goes on. I get lost in these choices. The advice in this situation is to pick something and stick to it. I try that from time to time. But at some point I'll come at a stalemate and I'll be looking at the pile of discarded choices and one of them appears to be a great solution to my current hurdle. Then I can't resist the temptation to try it out. And soon I find myself completely off-course from my original plan. So after months of this, I don't have any final product to show for all the time and efforts I've spent. It is deeply frustrating and causes depression and anxiety.

I know this is an old quote but I just read it and it is very relatable. Like, really, really relatable! There is a trail of dead projects behind me because of this.

Seeing how we are on the same boat there isn't much I can say. The best advice really is to stick to a decision and go with it. and finish projects! I think this is real perfectionism. A thing people tend to think is good and gloat about being, but it really isn't. Perfectionism is an obstacle to making decisions and finishing projects, and it needs to be dealt with.

My current mantra is: maybe this isn't the best decision and that is fine. Done is better than perfect. I can explore other alternatives in future projects. Easier said than done, I know.

Jayesh
Level 0

Solo Indie Game Dev

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2020, 05:10:54 AM »

Even though it's just dressing at the end of the day, a game (or anything, really) needs a hook to draw attention to itself.

Marketing is a tough nut to crack indeed.

Ramos
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2020, 06:52:52 AM »

What did I miss? Is main character a racoon now lol?
Nice game vibe twist

Smuli
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2020, 11:09:43 AM »

Nice progress here and the game looks like it could be fun. I liked the finesse in the motion of the stabbing animation with the characters made of ovals, but on the other hand the raccoon as main character is hilarious! It certainly makes the game more memorable, and also helps blend the character with the environment style-wise.

Jayesh
Level 0

Solo Indie Game Dev

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2020, 11:23:18 AM »

Yes, I had some good environment ideas around raccoon as the hero that's fighting the lumberjacks invading his forest. It's getting more concrete now, especially after I met some real raccoons on my walk yesterday Cheesy

I liked the finesse in the motion of the stabbing animation with the characters made of ovals, but on the other hand the raccoon as main character is hilarious!

The raccoon's graphic is gonna stay the same, but for enemies and environment I'm still experimenting with different styles. I tried to go for realistic look with detailed graphics, but then I realized that it's a trap. It will create too much work and will starve other aspects of the game. I would like to create gorgeous visuals using basic shapes (like the enemies composed of ellipses), let's see how it goes.

Jayesh
Level 0

Solo Indie Game Dev

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2020, 10:03:01 AM »

I spent all the week designing the foundation of NPC animations. I designed walk cycle animations, tried them in Blend trees, tried some of my own custom logic for animation state transitions; but it's all still WIP. I made couple of big technical decisions on implementation of NPCs (more after the image). Here's a basic walk cycle for one of the NPC lumberjacks, it's still WIP.

* In order to implement the NPC characters, I had to design each of them as a state machine, where each state corresponds to the action that enemy is doing (walking, attacking, dying, wood-chopping, etc.). In previous iteration I implemented a state machine architecture of my own. I knew that each state roughly corresponds to a distinct animation and Unity's animator itself is a state machine. However I didn't realize that I could use the Animator State Machine itself for my purposes. This week when I figured out how to override StateMachineBehaviour class, I decided to forgo my own implementation over Unity's animator. I haven't still figured if everything will work that way, but we will see.

* There are going to be many NPC characters and designing each of them separately would not be feasible. Thankfully there's a feature in Unity's experimental 2d animation package that can solve this problem. As I've talked before, all characters in this games are designed as collections of separate sprites (a sprite for each limb - head, hand, etc.). The animation is achieved by moving these sprites relative to each other. This is different from keyframe approach in 2d games, where entire character is drawn in a single sprite and each frame of animation is a different sprite. Unity's Sprite Library asset gives a handy way to organize different sprites for each limb. Here are some screenshots.

So I can mix-n-match these limbs to create variety of different characters using the same rig. Here are two examples - Ivan and Jack

It also means that I can design all my animations on the same rig and apply them to different characters as well. This will be a big time saver IMO.

You can learn about this technique from this excellent video

* I realized that the visual details of the NPC characters are not visible from the normal zoom level in a typical gameplay. On the other hand their animations are registered and they bring a distinct character to each NPC. So I'm going to spend more time designing these animations and will stick to the blocky sprites that you see now.

* A word about Astar Pathfinding package. It's awesome. I've implemented my own path finding solutions in last 3 years and wasn't aware of Astar's existence. I learnt about it from

. I'm using the free version of it for now and it has all the features I need. In my past implementations of path finding, I had spent so much efforts on path smoothing. Yesterday I was about to start doing again until I found a Path modifier built inside Astar that does that with a click of a button!

* My design document is getting bigger and more detailed. I've also started to track my task progress in a hierarchical list in a Word document, instead of Trello. For a single person project, I think that's a better approach.

That's pretty much it for this week. Next week I hope to make progress on Animations so that I've 2-3 distinct walking styles. Also will start putting together things as per the script for Chapter 1.

Have a good weekend all!

diegzumillo
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2020, 12:40:36 PM »

Great post!
I'm a Trello user but I don't like it very much. Maybe I should try a plain document in google docs.

Ramos
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2020, 01:18:37 AM »

Yes, I had some good environment ideas around raccoon as the hero that's fighting the lumberjacks invading his forest. It's getting more concrete now, especially after I met some real raccoons on my walk yesterday Cheesy

Good design direction!

Maybe this video will also help when designing a raccoon attack

Sp1ke
Level 0

Mike

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2020, 09:37:20 AM »

Good design direction!

This video was brilliant. Maybe it would be good to put it in a teaser?

Jayesh
Level 0

Solo Indie Game Dev

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2020, 05:08:35 AM »

Good design direction!

Good one. Revenge of the Raccoon!  Cheesy

Sp1ke
Level 0

Mike

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2020, 09:25:29 PM »

As far as I am concerned raccoons can be very destructive especially when they get into the house. So another mission could be destroying house of lumberjack or hunter in a way they would not kill you.
What's more raccoons can destroy whole field of crops in one day/night so I think farmers wouldn't be delighted with it Smiley

diegzumillo
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2020, 12:04:52 PM »

That video sent me into a binge of raccoon videos from

. I am really into raccoons now.

Ramos
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2020, 12:38:44 PM »

Show us more of your animated magical gif`s sir!

You just created a raccoon following cult
Congratz ContrailSurfer!

Jayesh
Level 0

Solo Indie Game Dev

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2020, 12:40:05 PM »

Sure. Still working on better knockout animations. But here's some NPC action I created couple of days ago. Hope it's self-explanatory Cheesy

Jayesh
Level 0

Solo Indie Game Dev

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2020, 09:48:42 AM »

Hi all,

Here's gif output of this week's progress (another one in my previous reply)

* Spent time on making Sneaccoo's movement more fluid by adding explicit turn animations
* About a day was spent in dealing with Unity's Input System package. The old built-in Input system is terrible to manage. While this new experimental Input System is excellent for managing input maps, it has inexcusable bugs. To enlist a few - input stops getting registered at any arbitrary times (it's more likely if your editor has been open for long time), angular interpolation between 2D axis didn't work for me, i.e. with WASD axis my character could only move along directions along 45 deg angles only - no smooth turning. I eventually gave up on it and bought Rewired from Unity asset store. It cost my 60+ CAD and had to spend couple of hours to get used to it; but after that everything was working. I'm hopeful this was a good investment.
* The approach of using common rig for all enemies is working super well. A system is taking shape to manage the animations and looks of all humanoid enemies efficiently. You can see three different enemy humans in above gif and each has distinct animations, but all of them have the same underlying rig.

In next week I plan to start with implementation of chase mechanism by enemies. I had it working before, but in new Animator based state machine I'll have to do it again. I would also like to add more enemy setups for the first chapter. In this gif you see first two setups.

Ramos
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2020, 10:56:00 AM »

Sure. Still working on better knockout animations. But here's some NPC action I created couple of days ago. Hope it's self-explanatory Cheesy

I really like those humor touches, makes the experience more solid.
Maybe you can add some funny lines like speech bubbles in the future

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic