Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411511 Posts in 69375 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 03:07:01 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogs"Air Traffic" - Side Scrolling Shooter
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9
Print
Author Topic: "Air Traffic" - Side Scrolling Shooter  (Read 16772 times)
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: May 07, 2021, 11:23:50 AM »

Another awesome development adventure from an obvious talent!  The depth mechanic really opens some nice strategy / niche possibilities.

In regards to sound, I think volume and spectral changes in the sound as the player moves depth could enhance the feeling of moving on the Z and the whole immersive experience.  A sort of legible moment of audio feedback for the player to help them get their bearings and play on the depth axis. 

The player ship reminds me of the Spaceballs RV - not sure if anyone referenced that yet. 

I love everything you just said thank you!

Been adding more care to the lane swapping, so if the player is too low they don't crash into the bridge environment and are placed on top of the far distance road.

Enemies can now swap lanes

Do you have any ideas how you're going to incorporate lane-swapping into the boss fights?

(I'm just going to assume that you are since it's such a core mechanic)
retrophilion
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 07, 2021, 12:00:44 PM »

Do you have any ideas how you're going to incorporate lane-swapping into the boss fights?

(I'm just going to assume that you are since it's such a core mechanic)

I do have some cool ideas, it's just difficult for me to explain it all in text and images.  I just need to get my hands dirty and show some cubes bashing around and doing stuff to get the idea across :D

I have to dilute the features quite abit or I'm just going to confuse and lose people.  This "sea level" is more of a tech demo, just packing ideas and adding general code scaffolding so that it can stretch across several levels.

One cool idea though, would be to have the lane changing as a potential ramming mechanism, so you could just bash the crap out of a fat meaty boss with bits flying off it.

I welcome any ideas though JobLeonard, it's your fault Joe-Fish is a good guy, he was originally a boss.  Careful what you say! Smiley Tongue
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: May 07, 2021, 12:29:41 PM »

You could still make him a boss who joins you after you defeat him, like a tutorial prequel level :p
retrophilion
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 07, 2021, 12:34:25 PM »

You could still make him a boss who joins you after you defeat him, like a tutorial prequel level :p

Noo stop, stop! I'm too weak for this!
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 07, 2021, 12:51:30 PM »

Then just make it background lore for him
retrophilion
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: May 07, 2021, 12:57:51 PM »

Then just make it background lore for him

waaaaaaaaa!
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 07, 2021, 01:27:26 PM »

Do you have a story for the game yet? From what I've seen I guess you're some kind of rebel force going against the army.

In that case, Joe Fish could be the like Big Bruiser that you needed to convert and then save to turn the tides in a losing battle, because uh... he can get access to (read: bust through) some underwater barrier in a later level or something that the rebels need for backdoor access to infiltrate another base through an unsuspected back-door to even the odds a little.

Or something, I dunno, I'm just throwing out predictable clichés here to be honest
retrophilion
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: May 08, 2021, 03:30:01 AM »

Do you have a story for the game yet? From what I've seen I guess you're some kind of rebel force going against the army.

In that case, Joe Fish could be the like Big Bruiser that you needed to convert and then save to turn the tides in a losing battle, because uh... he can get access to (read: bust through) some underwater barrier in a later level or something that the rebels need for backdoor access to infiltrate another base through an unsuspected back-door to even the odds a little.

Or something, I dunno, I'm just throwing out predictable clichés here to be honest

I love the rebel idea, that reflects on me well...  Umm, it's a juggling act, because I want interesting environments (haven't even thought about weapons properly) but obviously a story that ties into it.  I would also like to tie in some emotion and feelings.  So it's a triangle, I have to visit each one at a time and balance them out.
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: May 08, 2021, 03:36:12 AM »

Well, you can just throw out ideas for set-pieces and we can throw story suggestions back at you, and you can do what you want with the feedback!
retrophilion
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: May 08, 2021, 03:56:15 AM »

Well, you can just throw out ideas for set-pieces and we can throw story suggestions back at you, and you can do what you want with the feedback!

That's very cool thank you.  Coffee
retrophilion
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: May 08, 2021, 02:46:17 PM »

Made a start animating a boat,  going to get it firing it's weapons next.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: May 09, 2021, 03:23:40 AM »

Nice! What kind of weapons?
retrophilion
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: May 09, 2021, 05:01:16 AM »

Nice! What kind of weapons?

3 small side guns, and a fat bullet.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: May 09, 2021, 05:52:17 AM »

Was about to say, looks like it will have some fat artillery!
retrophilion
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: May 09, 2021, 05:55:46 AM »

Was about to say, looks like it will have some fat artillery!

haha yea, big booms.

This is going to be interesting, and likely tackling an issue with the gameplay head on...  The 3 guns on the side of the boat, can really only shoot from the far lane into the near lane.  Which leaves me with firing bullets when the boat is hidden, or not firing at all, OR partially being visible when firing...need to play around and tackle this one.
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: May 09, 2021, 07:44:12 AM »

Lane-to-lane guns! Good idea!
retrophilion
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: May 29, 2021, 11:25:38 AM »

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: May 29, 2021, 02:21:04 PM »

The splashes feel gooood man. Wouldn't it make more sense if the ship would tilt and sink instead of disappear though?
retrophilion
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: May 30, 2021, 01:54:33 AM »

The splashes feel gooood man. Wouldn't it make more sense if the ship would tilt and sink instead of disappear though?

Yea good idea, I'll make a note "death animation" Smiley
retrophilion
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: May 31, 2021, 03:24:02 AM »

next enemy concept idea.

Boats in the distance that flick out homing missiles and travel into the players layer.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic