Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 05:29:13 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogs"Air Traffic" - Side Scrolling Shooter
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9
Print
Author Topic: "Air Traffic" - Side Scrolling Shooter  (Read 16770 times)
retrophilion
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2020, 08:06:57 AM »

« Last Edit: August 19, 2020, 02:59:55 AM by retrophilion » Logged
retrophilion
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2020, 08:11:05 AM »

made a start on the intro for the player on a level, that then transitions to the player to control.

be nice to have some enemies shoot past when the camera speeds up, giving more purpose of the intro.

need to move the "ready" sign in when the player actually has control too.

Sorry for the music btw, it's whatever's playing on my PC at the time...if you haven't gathered.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2020, 03:00:01 AM by retrophilion » Logged
retrophilion
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2020, 06:01:25 AM »

Hooked the enemies back up.

So the level scenery is repeating in the background, probably be a good idea to have it where the level stops repeating the scenery and just goes into a non repeating environment... then after that the level can come to a standstill where the camera isn't moving at all... so possibly a boss fight.  Some form of ending anyway, so I might just have a pink cube at the end to kill or something so that the level be classed as finished.

I can then just build up this level in sweeps of art and code...I'm sure this is progress.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2020, 03:00:07 AM by retrophilion » Logged
retrophilion
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2020, 10:27:48 AM »

blocking out the beginning of the level... van's escaping some kind of fort...
« Last Edit: August 19, 2020, 03:00:14 AM by retrophilion » Logged
retrophilion
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2020, 04:21:50 AM »

So I've made this fort with an entrance in the distance... two intimidating towers..... I plan to add rocks around the bottom of walls of the fort.

I've also added more detail to the exit where our protagonist appears.

I think I need another 1/2 days work on it before moving on.  
« Last Edit: March 15, 2021, 01:35:07 AM by retrophilion » Logged
retrophilion
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2020, 02:18:18 AM »

So...spoiler this is the boss for this level, I'm going to start building the level out instead of just sea and a bridge.  

This will take some time, but I'll repost an update as soon as I have some more gatherings.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2020, 03:00:30 AM by retrophilion » Logged
retrophilion
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2020, 08:43:53 AM »

Currently trying out lane swapping for the player, near and far... I don't think any side scrolling shooter has done that?  Not that I can find anyway.

Concept is similar to Guardian Heroes but with just 2 lanes.

I shrunk the fish robot enemy dramatically, as cool and full of character it looked, it was just too awkward to handle.

The level is about 35% modelled, currently modelling in the "city" part and getting some procedural generation behaviour going for the buildings.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2020, 03:00:42 AM by retrophilion » Logged
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2020, 05:19:46 AM »

This looks interesting! I'm not well-versed in SHMUP mechanics though. What's the type you're aiming for?
retrophilion
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2020, 06:46:07 AM »

This looks interesting! I'm not well-versed in SHMUP mechanics though. What's the type you're aiming for?

Hey  Smiley  no thats ok neither am I.  Originally I started making something heavily related to R-Type/UN-Squadron....even though it resembles more to the Darius series which is really weird seeing I've never played any of them.

I'm focusing mainly on the "far and away" lane changing (got the idea from Guardian Heroes) and want to introduce things like obstacles to dodge, creative enemies and I'm pretty sure no other game has done this yet... I could be wrong.

I wish I could be more clear for you, but I'm on a journey myself with all of this.
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2020, 07:45:00 AM »

That's the fun though, no? Trying to figure out where the fun gameplay is Smiley
retrophilion
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2020, 08:14:18 AM »

That's the fun though, no? Trying to figure out where the fun gameplay is Smiley

Well exactly, I just didn't know that kind of approach was welcomed here. Smiley
retrophilion
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2020, 02:10:34 AM »

Currently working on obstacles...

Ramos
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2020, 02:24:23 PM »

i got plans...

Sir, please do tell us more about your plans.
Do you plan to release it on steam?
What is the foundation fun element? Driving or shooting? What other core pillars do you plan to add?

retrophilion
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2020, 02:35:29 AM »

That plan was just for the animation intro...

I'm sorry man I'm just trying to have fun and trying to work it out on the way.  You know as much as me.
retrophilion
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2020, 03:37:24 AM »

*These are just thoughts, not real plans....just experimenting.

The player will get a blinking sign to say there is an obstacle coming up, the player will then need to be aware of which lane the obstacle will be in.  For this obstacle the player could if they wanted to go through the glass, through the office space and come out through the other side alive...  There needs to be some kind of pay off for doing this though, like a collectable or some sort of reward - I haven't thought about that yet.  I just want the van to go through that office and smash the place up.  I'll try a load of trigger points and baked physics to see if that works.

Ramos
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2020, 04:11:22 AM »

That plan was just for the animation intro...

I'm sorry man I'm just trying to have fun and trying to work it out on the way.  You know as much as me.

I am curious, I know about this development pattern where you start with a very small thing you like and keep testing, prototyping and expanding around it, I usually start a project with a complete development plan subjected to some small changes/additions along the way so for me the way you develop this game really make me curious not only about the end result but on the process itself.

BTW is that robocop from hot toys or McFarlane?

retrophilion
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2020, 04:33:50 AM »

This level is total prototype, so likely I'll build it up, find my way, polish it, make it totally playable.  Get some feedback so I can build from this.  I would like to have a whole plan and then have it all drawn up and broken down into stages....but if I'm honest, things as it stands are built and put together based on my mood.  Which I guess is quite an arty approach, but also chaotic.  Overall, I have no idea what I am doing and how I'm going to promote it.  All I know is, I'm going to make it...

Robocop cop was a birthday present, he came from hot toys Smiley
Sp1ke
Level 0

Mike

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2020, 06:22:20 AM »

I think that before you start your game you should have some kind of plan or agenda where you want to go with it and decide about graphical style of product. Without it when you get grips with it you will have to redesign many assets you have done before to deliver coherent experience.

Believe me I went through the same process.

retrophilion
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2020, 07:37:58 AM »

I think that before you start your game you should have some kind of plan or agenda where you want to go with it and decide about graphical style of product. Without it when you get grips with it you will have to redesign many assets you have done before to deliver coherent experience.

Believe me I went through the same process.

Well everything currently is blocked out, not unwrapped, just modelled.  I can't get the same connection from planning.  I know the approach I'm making is wasteful.  This is all abit of fun, I'm certainly not taking the professional path, just trying to stay happy and logging my progress.
retrophilion
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2020, 12:59:27 PM »

Woahhh getting busy all of a sudden, nearly there.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2020, 01:23:04 PM by retrophilion » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic