Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 04:05:42 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignMetal in Games. I have some metal questions.
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Metal in Games. I have some metal questions.  (Read 2026 times)
George Hennen
Level 0

yeet

View Profile
« on: July 27, 2020, 01:19:29 PM »

Google is not exactly helpful when you don't know what you are trying to look up so TIG seemed like the next best place.

The game is of course a sandbox game but I'm trying to go for fun realism. The realism comes from me wanting things to work close enough to real life like in the game you simply need to get ores/metals/natives and heat them up and then cast them and then create a weapon on an anvil. Sort of realistic but it's not terribly horrible or as time-consuming as i could make it.

So my questions are what metals should I add/remove from the list and is this the proper order of best to worst metals that would be used for let's say a pickaxe. If someone wants to re-make this list and give info on why that would be also extremely helpful.

wood

stone

copper

bronze (bronze is made from tin and copper, could I use tin as a pickaxe?)

platiunum

iron

(could a steel pickaxe work?)

Tungsten

Titanium

Diamond

Boron Nitride

Also. These are just for the mattocks of the pickaxe or heads of axes. There is still handles you would have to make but this is like for the heads.

Along with that: i know a lot of these metals would (towards the end) be better as drills. I am going to have drills and such in the game but pickaxes are obviously just easier to make but I also might just make later things solely drills.

Here is some stuff i have on notepad:

silver, tin, gold, alluminum, (metals that wouldnt work as general metals for components and ect)

wood, stone, bronze, iron, (main tool in order of use)

titanium, Tungsten, Inconel, Steel (metals not enough info yet.

wood > stone > bronze > iron >

Some resources I have been looking at are:

http://www.makin-metals.com/about/history-of-metals-infographic/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_time_periods

I've been looking at these but these are really only good for periods of time not actual metal info.
Schrompf
Level 9

C++ professional, game dev sparetime

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2020, 10:11:26 PM »

Hand Metal Left Huh? Hand Metal Right

I can't contribute, but I like the question. From your list the only thing which would actually work is the steel axe. This is common place, smithes started mixing coal into the iron to harden it back in... phew... ancient japan? I'm only guessing, but it's definitely a few hundred years old. Everything beyond that requires serious hightech to process which we only gained in the last hundred years.

Wood wood not work, it's too smooth. Proto-humans already fixed a stone at stick using tar 40k years ago IIRC.

Stone is a go.

Copper - sure, but it's too soft to be useful. Back to stone, I guess.

Bronze - yeah, better, but still soft

Why does platinum come before iron in your list? To my knowledge it's way out of everyone's league.

Iron - yes. Tool material of choice for a thousand years

Steel - see above.

Tungsten - hard to process, extremely high melting temperature, so you can't smith it.

Titanium - in my book this would be above Tungsten

Diamond - highly flammable :-) Also there's crystal structures other than the 4-point-thingy whose name I don't know in English which are even harder.

I'm curious where you're going to take this.

Snake World, multiplayer worm eats stuff and grows DevLog
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic